Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1322685 - 07/06/09 09:59 PM Try it again
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Oklahoma
One picture shows some of the Rockwell(Rc)on the Elk knives while the other shows the trappers and others. This makes about 350 finished this year and ready for handles. We have already shipped over 200, so we are just trying to build inventory for hunting season. We had run out of trappers in Janurary and again in May but we have them now. Pictures were taken a week ago and I have used 14 of the trappers already. They don't gather much dust. Thanks for looking.Hope this works cause it is the first attempt at posting pictures.

Edited by Nikonut (07/07/09 12:55 PM)

#1322686 - 07/07/09 12:27 AM Re: Try it again [Re: Tha_edge]
guess Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: N.texas
here you go dave.

Edited by guess (07/07/09 12:31 AM)

https://www.youtube.com/user/HogZombies/video sponsored by Convergent Hunting Solutions,Hornady

#1322687 - 07/07/09 12:31 AM Re: Try it again [Re: guess]
bigdog1 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Mesa, Az
Good looking set of blades. I really like the texture on them.

NRA MEMBER
GUNS HAVE ONLY TWO
ENEMIES; RUST AND POLITICIANS

#1322688 - 07/07/09 12:34 AM Re: Try it again [Re: bigdog1]
guess Offline

I think that is an illusion unless dave has changed them they are very clear and smooth! tough as I've ever seen! awesome knives!

https://www.youtube.com/user/HogZombies/video sponsored by Convergent Hunting Solutions,Hornady

#1322689 - 07/07/09 04:04 AM Re: Try it again [Re: guess]
Nikonut Offline

Loc: Mt.Zion, Illinois USA
Glenn is correct.

That is just a reflection showing on them because they are that smooth!

Those haven't even been finished so you can imagine what the final polish looks like! I was recently lucky enough to pick up a set of "Trappers" and let me just say, they are very, very, very sharp!

To say you can shave with them is a little misleading! If you try to shave you will probably end up bleeding! These knives are just incredibly sharp!

The first time I saw one of these knives, Dave showed me how they will actually skin the print off of a sheet of printer paper without cutting a hole in the paper!

I've said this before and I'll keep repeating it, "These knives are "Scary" sharp!"

Nikonut
"I've been a PM member for a very long time and I believe in the dream of a unified predator hunting community... I feel that was Will Craig's goal! I was beginning to see a glimmer of hope of that being possible, time will tell."

Support the NRA and help preserve our hunting heritage and our 2nd Amendment rights!
NRA Life/Endowment Member

#1322690 - 07/07/09 09:46 AM Re: Try it again [Re: Nikonut]
guess Offline

they will literally shave the letters off of a walmart reciept without cutting through the paper! Byron South, Rod haydel,Jay Nistetter,Arky Yoter and Todd Woodall have all seen it done as well as many of the guys that made the World Expo last year. They stay that sharp longer than any blade I've seen and I've seen lots of blades.

#1322691 - 07/07/09 10:31 PM Re: Try it again [Re: guess]
J. Holly Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Stillwater, OK.
I believe Dave had yet another scary experience yesterday....something about a knife falling and bouncing up into his leg, 3 inches into his leg! Such a smooth and clean cut, it went back together before the doc at the ER could fix him up....only lost a cup of blood or so!!!

#1322692 - 07/07/09 11:02 PM Re: Try it again [Re: J. Holly]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Yes........It is not good to cut the main vein running up your leg. Had my finger on the cut within 3-4 seconds but had lost a least a cup by then.
Got to the ER about 20 minutes later and when I took the pressure off, the bleeding had stopped.
When I first looked down, there was a stream the size of a drinking straw shooting out 8 inches from the cut.
HOUSTON.........I had a LEAK. Its fine now and I am back at it. Just have to change the pressure bandage 3 times a day and put on a little Neosporin. Don't plan on dropping any more knives.........

#1322693 - 07/07/09 11:37 PM Re: Try it again [Re: Tha_edge]
guess Offline

you really need to look into getting some mesh pants! Talk about pucker factor! I dropped one of Dave's knives once and all I wanted to do was get out of the way before it hit anything!!!!!

The first hogs I cleaned with his knives took me 3 times as long to clean because I was afraid I would lose a finger!

Guys reading this that have never seen one in action find these testimonials hard to believe As did I when I first spoke with Dave. Try one and see! I bet Dave will even guarantee they are as sharp as he says!

#1322694 - 07/08/09 02:42 AM Re: Try it again [Re: guess]
Nikonut Offline

I'm with you Glenn!

I guarantee you this... if you do ever drop one of these knives, the very last thing you want to do is reach down and try to catch it! I assure you if you did it would cut you to the bone!

Yes, they really are that sharp!

Nikonut
"I've been a PM member for a very long time and I believe in the dream of a unified predator hunting community... I feel that was Will Craig's goal! I was beginning to see a glimmer of hope of that being possible, time will tell."

Support the NRA and help preserve our hunting heritage and our 2nd Amendment rights!

#1322695 - 07/08/09 02:40 PM Re: Try it again [Re: Nikonut]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Hate to say it but it is probably best that most people don't believe us. Most people want to tell the world after their first two animals. After 5-10 they are afraid to tell ANYONE because they will be called a "liar". We can only make about 450 knives a year and we are maxed out doing just that. Have taken orders for over 20 knives so far this month and had two calls yesterday wanting the details on how to measure hands cause they were needing 18-20 knives by hunting season.
There is NO WAY that we could make knives for everyone that needs them. We just try to keep those few that have them happy. These knives are very addictive as they can attest.
Probably need to clarify one thing about shaving the ink off thin paper. While you are thinking that it was an illusion, think about this. There was nothing under that paper but thin air!!!!!! Hold the paper with one hand and fillet the ink off about an inch in front of your fingers.
And YES, I can make them sharper.
Dave

#1322696 - 07/09/09 12:14 AM Re: Try it again [Re: Tha_edge]
rainshadow1 Offline
Custom Call Maker

Loc: Washington State
Stock looks great, Dave! Bet it feels good to get a batch back and on the pegs!

Sorry about your leg, Yikes! I'm glad it's holding now... Be Careful, Brother!

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives,
Mountain Lion Calling: www.rain-shadow.com

AKC Labs
https://rainshadowlabradors.com

#1322697 - 07/09/09 08:18 AM Re: Try it again [Re: rainshadow1]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Stuff happens Steve. We try to have about 450 knives at all times for the different sizes and shapes. But there are times(hunting season thru Christmas) that you can't pick up raw steel. All you do is put on handles and ship. If you run out it will take a while to build back. Did 5 yesterday(ship today) and will finish 7 today and cut the handles for 5 more for tomorrow. That is a steady pounding. Had an email this morning from Canada. I will try something:
Quote:

"Hi Dave,
today was butcher day,only did one buff.Aubrey and Rob were amazed and sooooo pleased with there knives,
the ease in which they cut thru the neck skin was nothing short of amazing.
The modified buff skinner is more than I hoped for,with a little wrist action and no effort it peeled the skin off easier than I have ever witnessed before.The "butchers Pride" can be tough to keep off the hide usually,not when useing your knives.Rob also tried my buff skinner,and really liked it.I mentioned that I still had the other one you sent( I must aplogise for not getting it sent back sooner) he is interested in purchasing it as is and getting a sheath from you for it.How much would you charge for it????
Now that the butcher is over,I will ship the bullets and knives for resharpening this week.Thank-you for a tremendous product."

Hey it worked. I am not very computor smart but copy and pasted works.

Edited by Nikonut to add as quote...

Edited by Nikonut (07/09/09 10:44 AM)

#1322698 - 07/14/09 07:22 PM Re: Try it again [Re: Tha_edge]
Kingfisher Offline
Predator Master

Loc: TN
Guess

You convinced me. I just got of the phone with Dave. Great Guy.He was in the shower but returned my call promptly. Nothing like speaking with the man that is going to make your knives. Very unlike the Big Box's where you get an operator that takes orders and can only describe what is on the screen. I have only ever owned one knife that lasted skinning 3-4 deer. Well I wont go into where that knife ended up but I was Married at one time. I have been looking for 15 years for a knife to replace that one. I currently have a couple so called custom knives I have purchased over the years that did'nt measure up.

Looking forward to receiving these knives from Dave. He did caution me on the sharpness! I will take the man at his word and be cautious. His leg is doing fine now and he's back to work.

Guess I do plan to try your test on the receipt. I'm sure this will captivate my friends.

James

#1322699 - 07/14/09 09:04 PM Re: Try it again [Re: Kingfisher]
guess Offline

congrats, I have never heard anyone complain about one of his knives , so I doubt you'll be disappointed.

BE VERY CAUTIOUS until you get use to his knives, let the blade do the work. It takes a few times using it to get use to the ease with which it cuts.

The receipt shaving takes some practice, the blades are so sharp. Once you get it figured out you will amaze everyone!
Follow Dave's instructions, he knows his stuff.

#1322700 - 07/14/09 09:33 PM Re: Try it again [Re: guess]
J. Holly Offline
Die Hard Member III

I have a degree in Meat science, yes, I was a butcher. I had to learn a whole new way of using a knife when I got one of Dave's. I had some of the sharpest knives of anyone I know, now, I have one that scares me to use it much.

I have only heard one complaint. His knives were to sharp. So he suggested cutting cardboard with it until it was the proper level to do small animals.

#1322701 - 07/16/09 07:57 AM Re: Try it again [Re: J. Holly]
Nikonut Offline

Quote:

The receipt shaving takes some practice, the blades are so sharp. Once you get it figured out you will amaze everyone!

Whatever you do, DO NOT try to do this holding the paper up with your fingertip! You won't even feel it until it's gone!

I would never use one of these to reach up inside an animal to make a "blind" cut by feel! Ouch!

Nikonut

#1322702 - 07/17/09 07:09 AM Re: Try it again [Re: Nikonut]
Mason_Jarr Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Southern Idaho
Hey Dave,
It looks like you've been pretty busy! Whatever happened to that new design you were working on when I stopped by your house? Are you going to offer those for sale? I want one if you are.

Mike

#1322703 - 07/17/09 06:55 PM Re: Try it again [Re: Mason_Jarr]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Got those finished and delivered Mike. Had a lot of interest in them so we are cutting out at least 20 more. Hope to get them done before the stuff starts bigtime in Sept and Oct. Won't have time to touch raw steel until Feb as I will be puting on handles. We may make some out of 3/32 and some out of 1/8 inch.
Still hoping to get away for 10 days and head west. Will have to start soon but we are still trying to build the inventory back up from last Christmas. Missing the small sizes of boners and butchers up through 3 3/4 inches.
Take care.................dave

#1322704 - 07/17/09 07:26 PM Re: Try it again [Re: Tha_edge]
Mason_Jarr Offline
Die Hard Member II

OK. Consider one sold when you get to them.

Mike

#1322705 - 07/18/09 03:21 PM Re: Try it again [Re: Mason_Jarr]
J. Holly Offline
Die Hard Member III

Told you that new one was a winner Dave....

#1322706 - 07/18/09 06:20 PM Re: Try it again [Re: J. Holly]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Well, just got back from cutting out 60 more trappers and 30 of those "things." It will be tight to try to finish those by Oct along with all the other stuff. I think there were 24 out of 1/8 inch and 6 out of 3/32. Still playing with the front bolt hole and whether to cover that sticker with wood or leave it plain. Any suggestions?

#1322707 - 07/19/09 04:56 PM Re: Try it again [Re: Tha_edge]
J. Holly Offline
Die Hard Member III

I like calling that thing the "Ed" or Everyday knife.

Maybe instead of 2 layers of wood, is it possible to do it with 1 on each side?

#1322708 - 07/20/09 10:14 AM Re: Try it again [Re: J. Holly]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

future trappers with pattern

fired but not cleaned up

Ed's blanks

pattern blanks and finished product with sheath

Kelly's knife

thx for looking

#1322709 - 07/20/09 10:17 AM Re: Try it again [Re: Tha_edge]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

double post

Edited by Tha_edge (07/20/09 10:50 AM)

#1322710 - 07/20/09 12:36 PM Re: Try it again [Re: Tha_edge]
guess Offline

Man Dave I like the looks of "kelly's" knife! Looks like a cross between the Elk and the trapper.

#1322711 - 07/20/09 04:33 PM Re: Try it again [Re: guess]
Mason_Jarr Offline
Die Hard Member II

Dave, I believe those bottom knives are the type you were working on designing when I visited. I want one. When they're ready, let me know and the money will be on the way.

Mike

#1322712 - 07/20/09 05:05 PM Re: Try it again [Re: Mason_Jarr]
Kingfisher Offline
Predator Master

Dave

Just got your email. I'm glad you told me about the arrowhead Sheath. The Knife and Sheath in the photo looks awsome. I'm like a kid at Chirstmas. I will be checking the mail everyday until it comes. LOL

#1322713 - 07/20/09 05:09 PM Re: Try it again [Re: Mason_Jarr]
Kingfisher Offline
Predator Master

Double Post

Edited by Kingfisher (07/20/09 05:14 PM)

#1322714 - 07/20/09 07:44 PM Re: Try it again [Re: Kingfisher]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Glenn and Mike. You can Thank Kelly J. for the design.
May call it the "willow" because the blade is shaped like a willow leaf. Jury is still out but it is hard and it is comfortable. Blade is under 1 1/2 inches and fair on the balance. Pattern handle may be to "fat" and throw the balance off. Still some adjusting before I approve it. Also want to see how that short blade holds up. For your needs Glenn, it might be a dandy. However the trappers are awesome and this is heavier but shorter.
Mike... I will let you know when I get them shaped, fired, tempered, cleaned, and cryoed. Still a long way to go plus get the 60 trappers done. I'm tired just thinking about it.

#1322715 - 07/21/09 12:23 AM Re: Try it again [Re: Tha_edge]
guess Offline

I think I may have lost my curved trapper or at least misplaced it for the time being.
just used the Elk to skin a bobcat to mount in the near future.

#1322716 - 07/21/09 07:28 AM Re: Try it again [Re: guess]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

The trapper has more blade length than that new one and ED may not work for you.
Are you still getting good milage out of the knives? Hope you find the curved trapper cause I know it was your favorite. Did you ever get the wheels on a grinder for straightening the edge?
Sending you some weather so hunker down.
dave

#1322717 - 07/21/09 12:09 PM Re: Try it again [Re: Tha_edge]
Verminator2 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: OR
What do you call the one in the second photo down on your last photo post, the shiniest one?
www.no-off-season.com/store.php

#1331671 - 07/22/09 10:19 AM Re: Try it again [Re: Verminator2]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Verminator2. That stack has beeen fired and still has fire scale on all but the one butcher knife. In the stack are elk knives, a few butcher, and I see the tips of some proskinners on the bottom. Getting the fire sclae off has always been a problem and we are trying some new stuff now. It is better but not great and we do not want to lose any of the hardness. We buff as much scale as we can with a sisal buff and that is what you see. Then we go back to the sanding belts running a P400, then P600, Then P1400(600American) and buff if possible. If not, run 9 micron and buff. They will appear "chrome plated". They are then wrapped individually and sent to be cryoed.
Thanks for asking..........dave

#1332258 - 07/22/09 10:53 PM Re: Try it again [Re: Tha_edge]
Kingfisher Offline
Predator Master

guess

There is a problem with with your Personal Mail Box. I received a message that your last sent message was in Jan. 2008? It Must be the site upgrade, glich?

#1332825 - 07/23/09 07:11 PM Re: Try it again [Re: Kingfisher]
Kingfisher Offline
Predator Master

Just received my knives from Dave yesterday afternoon. Fantastic knives. Took them to work today. The guys could not believe that I could cut the ink off a sales receipt and not go through the paper. When you can cut a piece of paper in half laying flat, now thats sharp. I can honestly say this is the sharpest knife I have ever held.

Thanks Dave
You do Nice work.

#1333201 - 07/24/09 07:01 AM Re: Try it again [Re: Kingfisher]
Tha_edge Offline
Seasoned Member

Glad you got them and like them. That is the only set with that color combination. wink
Had 4 more sets go out since I sent yours. Corky milled the first batch of those new knives and I rough shaped yesterday. Talk about eating belts!!!!!!!!! shocked Man that is a lot of removal. Will try to get the first 8 ready to fire today.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.