Warne or Leupold PRW

CodyB

I just got a new Sako A7 which takes the Weaver style scope rings. I plan to mount a 4.5-14 VXIII with 30mm tube on the rifle. In the past I have always used Leupold bases and rings or Talley Lightweight one-piece rings. For a Weaver style ring what are the pros and cons to the Warne versus the Leupold PRW rings? Thanks.

I have read to stay away from any "vertical style" ring being it will cause the scope to shift from left to right when tightening. I know Leupold makes a cheaper set up like this as well. I would tell you Leupold hands down for that reason alone as long as its the model that the rings come apart horizontally.

Quote:
I just got a new Sako A7 which takes the Weaver style scope rings. I plan to mount a 4.5-14 VXIII with 30mm tube on the rifle. In the past I have always used Leupold bases and rings or Talley Lightweight one-piece rings. For a Weaver style ring what are the pros and cons to the Warne versus the Leupold PRW rings? Thanks.

I have used both the Warne and the Leupold Weaver style bases - they are both as good as each other, the Warne is 1/2 the price of the Leupold. There are no zeroing issues with these mounts - the ideal ring for the Weaver base is the Burris Signature "Zee", with the plastic rings.

I use this combo on all but two of my rifles, even four benchrest rifles, and it is bullet proof.

Go with the Warne's. I have them on all but 3 rifles. On those, they're already set up and shoot well. No sense in toying with it.

I would get the warnes I was in a wreck hit a ditch i have a big sky over head gun rack 2 gun went flying one had burris z rings the other warnes the burris moved poi 7 inches to the left yhe warnes held true granted it was a hard lick but impresed the heck out of me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have one set of PRW's and a couple Warne's. The only thing I disliked about the PRW is they are tight going over my scope tube. I'm pretty anal about ring marks so I don't think I'll buy any more PRW's.

Lap the bottom ring halves and you won't get ring marks, I use a sheet of paper on the scope tube to snap the ring caps on, keeps em from scratching the tube, then just slide the paper out from under the cap. OTOH, Burris Signature rings don't require lapping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/lapping.html

Back