New Powder trial Hodgdon HV 100 in 243

ackleyman

I had a load worked up for a Rem 700- 243 Sporter for a 80g Sierra BT "blitz" with IMR 4064 with a Fed 210 in a Rem case that is extremely accurate(1/2" at 200 yds).

Just for grins I tried the HV 100. With the Fed 210's, 43.2g proved to be were the accuracy node was with this rifle; using the 80g Sierra touching the lands produced 3- 1/2" at 200. I switched out primers to the 9 1/2 and CCI 250. The 9 1/2 shot the same size as the Fed 210's, but the CCI 250 allowed the group to shrink to where all the bullets were touching at 200.

I repeated the same load with the CCI 250's and shot three groups that averaged .318, which isn't half bad for a sporter.

I went to 300, and the wind was starting to get squirrely, the groups were stringing about 1 1/2" as was correct by the wind flag.

This load with the HV 100 stomps my load with IMR 4064. I did shoot the 4064 side by side with the HV 100 at 300 yards, both loads shot to the same point of impact, and a while back, I checked the velocity of the IMR 4064 load at 3450 fps.

I have a 6-24 Pentax on this rifle.

This is obviously a great powder for a 243 with the mid weight bullets and it obviously likes the CCI 250's in my rifle.

I thought that this may be interesting for you 243 freeks out there. Of course, your rifle may like a different charge, as did my shooting partner that was working up a load next to me. His rifle loved the 80g Sierra with the CCI 250, but his Ruger had to use more powder than my rifle.

I switched to the 100V a while ago in my 243AI. shoots the 105 and 115's very well.

I got tired of the RL25 being inconsistent from lot to lot.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

mine likes the 210 primers and the 250 CCI's do great too.

NOTE: I did gain about 37 fps with the 250 primers over the 210's

thanks for the write up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
I've been working with IMR4007ssc with 70 grain Speer's. Most 3 shot groups have been right at 1/2" with a few smaller than that and that's with a 3-9X Bushnell 3200 scope. This is out of a new Remington 700 BDL Buckmaster. Stock gun with minor trigger adjustment. I haven't shot it over a chronograph yet so we'll have to see where I'm at there. Nice to see some of these newer powders working out well.

I have been testing it in my 6mm Rem here lately. I have shot the 75vmax, and the 90gr Lapua, Lapua's being the good performer right now. Tomorrow I am going to shoot the 87gr vmax along with 75gr Sierra HP's, we will see how it goes.

It promises good velocity's, when I find something that shoots I'll run it over a chrony and see what it does. If I dont find a load......its back to the ol' stand by H380

I just bought an eight pounder of Hybrid 100V because it is listed as an upper velocity powder for the 6-284, 7RM, and 338WM. Unfortunately I am still foolish enough to chase the "one powder for all" ideal. We'll see what happens. I have loaded test loads for the 6-284 and the 338WM and it does meter nicely. Hopefully they shoot well........

Thanks for the write up ackleyman.

Ack...

I had a similar experence recently.

About 3 months ago I bought a new stainless single shot 40-XB in .220 Swift and was lookin' for something to load in it. There was nothing even close to the burning range on the shelves at the dealers, except IMR 4007 SSC.

It turns out to be an outstanding powder - the best I have seen for cases in the range of the swift/6mm Rem, etc.

I am getting ~4,100fps with 55 gr bullets with no pressure.

It is just a bit faster than H-4350. The grains are smaller than Varget, it burns clean, and it is temperature stable.

What's not to like.

How much is this powder filling up the case with the loads you guys are using? I've heard that the less room in the case the better, as far as ES goes.

Quote:
How much is this powder filling up the case with the loads you guys are using? I've heard that the less room in the case the better, as far as ES goes.

Most loads I am getting low teens ES and single digit SD.

That doesn't really mean to much until you are out past 600 yards...

Haven't met a coyote yet that cared about 1/4 to 1/2 MOA difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Back