Weatherby Mark V Special Varmint Rifle SVR or Remington sps varmint ?

I don't know anything about the Weatherby, but I haven't seen or heard of any sps Varmint shooting poorly.

I've got one in .223 and all I've ever done to it was adjust the trigger and find some good loads for it. It's pretty consistant.

223groupsjpg-1.jpg

000_0025-1-1.jpg

Quote:
I don't know anything about the Weatherby, but I haven't seen or heard of any sps Varmint shooting poorly.

I've got one in .223 and all I've ever done to it was adjust the trigger and find some good loads for it. It's pretty consistant.

223groupsjpg-1.jpg

000_0025-1-1.jpg

looks good ,also looking at the VSSF but the Weatherby does sure look nice.Leaning more towards the Remington as there are more after market parts etc for them.Probably become a Remington convert /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I prefer the 700 action over the Mk V on anything but really large cartridges. Mk V is a very strong action due to it's full sized bolt body. However, 2 lugs usually trump 9 in the accuracy dept. Weatherby Vanguards are generally more accurate than Mk V's IMO, at 1/3 the cost. If you ever plan on doing any customizing, the 700 is definitely the way to go.......

my sps varmint in .223 shoots .5 MOA or better consitently. best group to date was .367" 5 shots @ 100 yards. best 3 shot group was .267" @ 100 yards. both with factory loaded 40 grain v-max, i do not reload for .223 just yet but cant wait to start. I did however switch to a bell and carlson stock and adjusted the trigger to about 2 lbs.

Quote:
I never cared for the Weatherby chambers with the long jump. But I guess they work.

As opposed to Remmys "zero" freebore????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

More often than not you'll run out of case before you ever reach the lands in a Remmy.... Not that it makes them any less accurate, but I'm just saying. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

One "phenomenon" I've witnessed over the years is that I've heard plenty of guys [beeep] about the freebore of Weatherby chambers. However, the fact remains, most of the guys whose opinions I trust, who have the chance to chamber their custom Roys with zero freebore, choose not to. Must be a reason........

Quote:
Quote:
I never cared for the Weatherby chambers with the long jump. But I guess they work.

As opposed to Remmys "zero" freebore????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

More often than not you'll run out of case before you ever reach the lands in a Remmy.... Not that it makes them any less accurate, but I'm just saying. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Man that's the truth!! I have a M700VS in 308 & loading bullets to max. mag length I am still a ways from the lands, but it still shoots the 168A-Max VERY well.

Weatherby runs a long throat due to the pressures of his cartriges. as for Remington, its probably just a @#$%up. although, of all the 700's Ive owned and worked on I've only had one with an overly long throat. it was an xr-100 204

The groups I posted above are .005 off of the lands and I still have .234 of bullet in the case. 50g Nosler BT.

I guess Remington screwed up and made this one right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
Weatherby runs a long throat due to the pressures of his cartriges. as for Remington, its probably just a @#$%up. although, of all the 700's Ive owned and worked on I've only had one with an overly long throat. it was an xr-100 204

Make no mistake. Roy incorporated freebore IN ORDER TO increase published velocities of his cartridges.......

Back