Tick's gone wild !!!

easy_money

I've never paid much attention to tick's, cause I've never gotten more than one or two here and there, but this summer, I've been getting alot. Like 8 or 10 in a mile of walking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Do tick numbers decrease as the summer heats up(I've always seemed to notice them more in the spring)?
What do you guys do to try to keep them off you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Thanks

Spray your clothes with permonon, the kind that you spray on your hunting clothes only and not on skin. This stuff works really good . You can buy it at Walmart.

Yeah they are real bad around here this year. They are active from spring right through the end of fall. They seem to especially come out when it is wet.

Several people I know have gotten lyme. My dog has been vaccinated for lyme but ended up getting another type of tick born disease.

I would agree that the ticks are especially thick this year. On the weekends when the weather cooperates I work for a land comapany that my friend's family owns. Usually we're out marking property lines or running equipment. This past Sunday morning while we were fueling up equipment, and checking for the rattlers that like to sneak up into the equipment during the night, I forgot to put my bug sray on. Before long nature called and I headed to the opposite side of a gas well to take care of it. It was about an 60 yard walk in weeds that were knee high. In that short distance through the weeds, I picked up 7 ticks on my pants legs. On the way back across the well site, I picked up 4 more. As soon as I got to the truck, my clothes were drenched in bug spray! Usually use Cutter Backwoods bug spray. Seems to work good, and it's cheap!

I HATE TICKS!!!

I'll get some permonon. I'd never heard of that before.

"seem to especially come out when it is wet" explains alot.
We've had a very wet spring and spring is pretty much the only time we get much moisture(as rain),which may explain why they are not as noticeable in the later summer.

Thanks guys, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

+1 on the permanone.

But definately spray it on your clothes only. I had a friend spray it on his skin and he ended up in the hospital.

I've been using that Repel permanone from Wal-Mart for many years now. It'll solve the trouble of ticks, chiggers, ect. and is good for a week or so and a couple of washings once applied to your clothes. Good stuff!

If you want something that will work really well on your skin... Check any Cabelas for their 34% DEET insect repellent creme...

I got some in '05, use it sparingly just before going out and have never had a bite from mosquitoes, ticks, or horse flies...

Last year, the ticks were so bad around our area that my wife was out in the yard for less that an hour and got four ticks and one got really infected and still bothers her... I spent most of my time out in the yard and never got any bites..

The time I spent in the MO river bottoms produced the same results...

InsectRepellent.jpg

The repellent by Coulston's, "Duranon Tick Repellent" contains "Permethrin" is for application to your clothes and effectively repels Ticks, chiggers, and mosquitoes. I believe it is basically in the same family as permanone, only to be applied to your clothes.

If you want a simple treatment to get rid of ticks that may have got onto your body, draw you a warm, deep bath with a cup of clorox. Mix it up well, and lie down covering everything but your face and ears. Lie in that for about ten minutes, and then take a regular shower. Any ticks you have on you, especially those little rascals that are in your yard and dry leaves will readily come off.

8-10 ticks in a mile of walking is nothing. If we did that here in Mo. it would be 80-100 minimum. You got it good.

And BMoe ain't kiddin' either. I've had what looked like thousands of the little seed ticks. More than once too.

The seed ticks in Missouri are the worst. You can barely see them. Here's a couple of tick stories for you:

We were getting ready to go to a funeral or something [long time ago], and my Grandpa came and sat by me on the porch swing wearing his nice clothes. I said," Grandpa, how'd you get your pants dirty already?" He said, "I dunno" and kind of wiped at the leg of his slacks. About 5 minutes later, I noticed the dirty spot was to his knees...a giant swarm of seed ticks...Nasty!

Here's another one, Same property, My Grandpa used to have this old dog that would find box turtles. All the kids wanted to go find turtles, so off we went. When we got back, they were head to toe ticks. I put the kids in the tub with Clorox and it didn't do anything. I picked and picked but I couldn't hardly get ahold of the nast little beggars. Finally, I found a roll of duct tape. I pulled off a bunch of tape and made a big tape ball and just "blotted" them off. It worked.

I had a Beagle run off when I was a kid and come back with so many ticks, she could barely hold her head up. Clusters of them between her toes. Disgusting!! My Mom picked them off and tossed them into a coffee can until it was half full.

But to be honest, that's the best part of the spring. When I get home from Turkey hunting or Mushroom hunting, All I have to say is, "Honey, will you come check me for ticks?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

+1 for the duranon

I hunt on Nantucket island off the coast of MA and at last count over 1/3 of the permanent population had lyme disease. Just walking from your treestand to your vehicle your can expect 30-50 ticks on you without duranon. With duranon 0 the stuff works great. I wont hunt the island without it.

Sounds like you boys have some serious tick issues there!!!

Holy Cow !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Those stories are creepy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif But Good.
Ultrathon and Permanon or Duranon sound like the way to go, and that idea about the clorox bath is great.
You guys are awesome!Thanks for all your help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have to second the bleach bath idea. Although, I have never used more than a fourth cup mixed into a bath of water. Works on chiggers as well as ticks.

The ticks here in Ks. are really bad this year also, For those that are having problems with their dogs I've been using Sevin tomato dust on them for years. Works great. Just dust your dog and rub it into the fur. The only draw back is if the dog gets wet, you'll have to dust them again.

Quote:
I have to second the bleach bath idea. Although, I have never used more than a fourth cup mixed into a bath of water. Works on chiggers as well as ticks.

The cup of bleach formula is for a deep drawn bath, not for a normal depth bath. It will not hurt you at all, but it will sure get the critters off.

Back