Tire Chain Question?

smsnyder

Going out west this year for 3 weeks to hunt predators. I want to be prepared for snow or heavy rain. Has anyone used those Snow Claws or Go Claws on there 4x4 suvs? They look alot lighter than chains. Thanks

I am by no means a tire chain expert. I bought my set from Auto Zone. All I know is this. I have been out west a couple of times and if you did not have chains on your tires you were not allowed onto the highway. This has happened to me twice. One time at GlenWood Springs, CO. The state troopers were at the entrance to I-70. And without chains they would not let you on the interstate. I also bought an extra set of those rubber stretchers. And I was glad I did. Tom.

What's worse than that is if you don't have them, you might not get home. I don't go anywhere in the fall without two sets, one for the front and rear, unless I'm hauling horses. Then throw in another set for the trailer if you're going to the hills.

I'm afraid it snows good out west, first check your owners manual for what you can use. Some suv's won't even take chains, then check to see if you can chain both ends, if you can, have two sets, front and rear.

Chains are just that, made from chain. Cable chains don't last long out here if you go off road. As the posts above state, you can't be to prepared out here, you really are betting your life in some places. A lot of states will simply close the freeway period, to keep you alive. blue

ps, the hunting is worth it.

I have a set of heavy mud chains (4) for all for wheels and a shovel. This past winter I had to use them for the first time, several times. They are much easier to install them before getting stuck but the only way out otherwise. The mud here can be worse than snow also. What size tires do you have?

Quote:
.....anyone used those Snow Claws or Go Claws on there 4x4 suvs?

Never used them but I just looked them up and they look a little light.
Breaking a chain can be a major headache.
If you don't catch it right away you are in for some serious vehicle damage.
I would feel safer with chains. Getting through a pass is a lot of miles.

PC

The claws work but chains are the best. Always Carry a coffee can w/ 2 pair of socks and a large fat candle the socks for hands and feet and the candle will provide enough heat to keep you from freezing, as long as you went out dressed accordingly

Lived here all my life, crossed over the mountains more times than I can count, driven every kind of vehicle sold ....I can count the nubmer of times I needed chains on the highway on one hand with fingers left over. I feel safer knowing how to drive in the snow. Off road is a different matter all together.

Chains. I have been an adventurer and have sought the roads less traveled. Generally with a girlfriend where our "exedous" was solely on me to get out. Because of it , I've seen a bear rousting around a valley in the Spring, ...I've seen an avalanche slide down an already barren chute, and gotten stuck deeper than I would have dared without. I pack chains to get out of trouble now. I wouldn't waste my time on claws. Chains - even "medium duty" would be my choice.

The claws work but chains are the best. Always Carry a coffee can w/ 2 pair of socks and a large fat candle the socks for hands and feet and the candle will provide enough heat to keep you from freezing, as long as you went out dressed accordingly
Good advice Ydon

I 'm orginally from AL. I went to northern Maine one winter on a job. The guys there asked if I had my survival gear in my truck. I asked what they were talking about. They mentioned a can of sterno, food, coveralls,ect. I thought they were pulling a southern guys leg until the first snow flurries. We got 10 inches that night! Before I left that winter I saw it snow 36 inches in one night. Where we located if you ran off into a snow bank you could be there 24 hours before someone came along. Yep I was north of Caribou. A real eye opener for a guy from AL. I got the things mentioned to me and considered it cheap insurance!

Thanks guys, Some of the areas i hunt in the high desert get real slick when it rains or snows just a little. The roads are all two track roads with drop offs on both sides sometimes. Traction is very important. I am driving a 4x4 Liberty. I may have to use these chains/claws etc for 7 hours driving on high desert roads. Does anyone make Alum. chains?

Last edited:
Quote:
Always Carry a coffee can w/ 2 pair of socks and a large fat candle the socks for hands and feet and the candle will provide enough heat to keep you from freezing, as long as you went out dressed accordingly

Also some matches, a tin cup, spoon, a can opener, and several cans of food. Anytime you need any of it you won't be able to get by without them.

Any survival kit that does not include a BIC lighter is incomplete.

smsnyder- where you plannin on goin anyway ? What time of year ? you ever drive on chains for 7 hours ?

I can't even wrap my mind around where you could be where you need chains for 7 hours. Odds are pretty good the highway to where that is will be closed anyway.

The area i hunt for coyotes is high desert. The ground is like clay. When it gets wet or it snows an inch or so the clay sticks to the tread on the tires. The tires will keep spinning with no traction. I need some type of gripping power on the front and back wheels so i can continue hunting. I may drive 7 hrs in this desert clay conditions.
i drive a jeep liberty. I WILL NOT BE USING THESE ON PAVED ROADS.

Last edited:
Another option would be to put some good M/T or Mud Terrain tires on your Jeep. M/T tires are designed so that when the tire spins they shed the mud from between the tire lugs so you can get traction. Just another (more expensive) option.

lived in idaho all most 50years run chains when its needed but regular chain are the best, cable chains are junk and i carry mine year round seen more times when a dirt road turns to slimmie mess. so buy good tire chain they are cheap insurance

Quote:
The area i hunt for coyotes is high desert. The ground is like clay. When it gets wet or it snows an inch or so the clay sticks to the tread on the tires. The tires will keep spinning with no traction. I need some type of gripping power on the front and back wheels so i can continue hunting. I may drive 7 hrs in this desert clay conditions.
i drive a jeep liberty. I WILL NOT BE USING THESE ON PAVED ROADS.

Buy an ATV. I've been on enough self hunt trips out West that I can tell you that you don't want to get back 25-30 miles on a 2 track road in muddy conditions. Coyote hunting is awesome, but not worth taking those kinds of chances. Plus, you'll just tear up the roads if you drive on them being that muddy. If the 2 tracks are muddy or snowed in, leave the jeep liberty at the main road and take and ATV or go on foot.

Tony

Back