New predator rifle what to get.... Savage Vs. Dtech

Bsj425

Looking to get a new predator rifle and i started out with my options wide open and narrowed it down to two rifles. The two I picked are COMPLETELY different platforms so im breaking it down to criteria. If i get a D tech it will be chambered in .223. If i go with savage It will be also be in .223 but .204 is also an option. So here is the criteria.

Accuracy (savage 1:9 twist 22' heavy barrel w/ accu trigger, Dtech 1:10
Weight
Reliability
Price.

I have handled the Savage in person and really liked the feel.I have never handled a Dtech but would assume it is similar to most other AR's except with a little better balance due to the heave barrel. My main concern with the Dtech is the Gas system keep in mind i live in interior alaska where the temps in our season run from 30 above to 50 below. When it is that cold the gas system tends to be horrible based on my experience with the army and shooting our M4's up there at 40 below. With the bolt action you cannot go wrong.

I know this is a long post and most of it kind of rambles on but im stuck between a rock and a hard place. I would love to have both but right now the wife says no.

With the extreme temps keeping the semi-auto operating could be an issue. Yes I know people & the military do it but the different manipulations of the gun would be more than a bolt. What about stepping up to a 243? Even down in the temperate zone I like to take a 243 often. You have some critters that need to be put down with authority.

Getting a new wife isn't an option considering she is the one buying the rifle for me as a welcome home gift( i am in Iraq right now but will be home in a few weeks that's why im looking.) :0 but getting a .243 is also an option. I'm leaning more towards the savage. The only advantage to the Dtech as of now is the platform if i ever feel like changing calibers i just need to throw on a new upper and the different parts available are basically unlimited. We have had Gas tubes explode when we were shooting when it was -35 going from glowing red from rapid fire to 35 below zero does not mix well although I don't think I will be rapid firing on any coyotes. Also there are TONS of lynx around me that cant refuse the old cotton tail call and they have some thick skin and coats. Its lookin like the savage 10XP snow package.

10xp%20pred%20snow%20package.jpg

While i have a "few" savages and ar's, i think i would have to go with the bolt gun simply because of where you live. Muskrat30 is right about the .243, it will do everything the .223 will do, and do it at a lot longer range and with more power if need be. You can buy a sporter barrel model 11 here for $359. blue

I just read your new post, you can change out the savage barrels easier than the ar. Go to savage shooters.com and look around, take off barrels there are very cheap, and Really easy to change. blue

Last edited:
Honestly?

I assure you I understand the allure of a "Black Rifle" and D-Tech's are top rung when considering them. But it really sounds as if a bolt gun would be the way to go in your situation. I also would agree on the .243 for caliber for your AO. I live in North Texas so .223 is plenty for me regardless of beasties I would encounter, but for you.....NAH.

Chupa

First of all...any wife that will buy you a rifle is a keeper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I would tell her you need two savages...one in winter camo and one in fall/spring/summer camo. The savage is a good value, so you can afford two and your service for our country is most definately deserving of them.

At any rate, I agree that a bolt gun is tops in harsh conditions. It's rugged (not that an AR type isn't), but it is easy to care for and is my go to gun when the weather is bad.

Good luck!

Remember that the AR platform was originally designed with a 20 inch barrel and as such they work very well in all temperatures with that barrel lenght. If you move the gas port back such as on a 14 or 16 inch barrel you almost double the amount of pressure created in the gas port causing problems that have to be compensated for; such as extraction, feeding and ejection. If you stick with a 20 inch barrel it will work fine in any temperature. I am in ND and have used one in -25 degree temps and it has always functioned fine.

With that said I am now using a bolt gun, they are easier to load and unload at each stand and the cost is way less. I can get about two guns for what one AR costs. A new upper to switch calibers on an AR is going to be at least $600.00. I just wasn't finding that many times that a second fast follow up shot was necessary. I would rather spend that time changing sounds on the call to get them to stop and take a second look which more times than not happens resulting in a second dog down. Also most of the AR's will be heavier that your choice in bolt guns.

Another thought is take a look at the savage web site, go the L.E. section and look at the new model 10 precision carbine (10pc), 20" bull barrel, accutrigger, accustock, digital camo, 4rd detach mag, i got one in .308 and it's everything it's supposed to be. Load it down with 125gr, and it shouldn't be bad on pelts, load it with 150-168-175gr and you have a good all around rifle. Mine with a bushnell 3200 elite comes in at 9lbs 12ozs, still very carriable. blue

ps, northland shooter supply on savage shooters.com is listing it at $645+20 shipped to your ffl. Mine is hitting the 4" plate at 300yd 4 out of 4, no problem, somebody with good eyes would make a really good group.

Last edited:
I've got both an AR and bolts in .223, 22-250 and 243. I tend to go the 243 savage most often. The AR shoots as well or better than my bolts, but I prefer the feel of the bolt guns.

I doubt you could get a D-tech in time to shoot fur this year. Can't go wrong with either though, I have both in .223. The dtech is 18" fluted heavy and the savage is 11 with sportster barrel.

peace.
unloaded

Get the bolt gun now and order the Dtech. By the time it is ready, maybe you will have done something that would entitle you to another present... OR, just do like most of us and pay for it yourself!

Get the bolt gun. It fits your needs in your climate. you can allways get the other toy and play with it later.
Besides, your hunting vermin not islamic types up there in Alaska... At least not yet. Grizz

As a person that has both (DTech and Savage bolt), for the criteria you listed, I'd have to second the Savage.

Mike builds great rifles and they are a joy to own/shoot, but with the temperature limitations you have to encounter, the bolt action would be the best choice, if only due to the potential lubrication related issues....and the varying temps.

As bluealtered pointed out,,, the barrels on a savage are easy to change if needed...and a lot cheaper..

Thanks for all the input Wife ordered the Savage model 10XP in .243 today from a local dealer should be there in a week or so!

Great choice, spend some time at savage shooters.com you will meet a great group of people who will help you with what questions you have, just like the people here. blue

Back