O'Gorman Dorn pup

Devin69

Has anyone got or hunted with the O'Gorman Dorn line of coyote dogs? Picked up this little girl tonight for next years project. Not the best pictures but I will get some more.

16jewd2.jpg

34689s8.jpg

Yes..I bought a female back in 1992...was a good decoy dog but I think she could have even been better if I had known more about training her when she has a pup..Would not hesitate to get another one from O'Gorman.

My grandfather had several and I've had 2. They were like any other dog some good, some bad, and 1 or 2 were great. They made good decoy dogs and worked well on the traplines following drags and crips and what not.

I replaced them with DD's that work fur and can be waterfowl or upland hunted as well.

Good looking pup. The ones I had were similar to an airedale in temperment and trainability.

Hope she works out for you.

Tim

I am dumd when it comes to dog breeds that are hard to find info on what is the breed history and what does DD stand for? I think DD is detusch drathaar aka german wire haired pionter. Would I be correct. I've heard of the O'Gorman Dorn line but not much info on the internet its more of a hounds man to hounds man kind of breed. No need for internet when you talk person to person.

Dorn dogs are a mix of several breeds created by Vern Dorn. O'Gorman has been working with these dogs for quite a while now. They are not trail hounds but all around fur dogs used to decoy, den, work drags, ect.... The ones I had looked like a cross between a couple different terriers with a little cur thrown in. They are popular with trappers and ADC men.

You are right a DD = Drathaar basically a GWP from Germany only bred after strict testing of the parents and more focused on fur work then the GWP over here. I use them for many things and have found them very capable and enjoyable dogs.

Devin- Did you get yours from Craig and Dana?

Tim

Nope just the light. I thought about getting the blind one but then decided no they take way too much training and the little red cane they keep tapping on the sage brush sometimes scares away the coyotes. JK

hey devin you should have got the blind one, they are alot easier to catch if they try to run off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I thought you told me that with your 22-250 you can catch them real fast.lol That is why I didn't get the blind one. I hope you didn't steer me wrong.

Back