Shooting Bench Umbrella Attachment

grizzly204

I remember seeing some of your shooting benches with umbrellas attached. Could you post some pics as I am heading to SD in a week and figured I would need something to block the sun.

grizz

Crude but effective. Home made bench with Walmart clamp on umbrella.

15601field_table.JPG

If the umbrella is not too heavy,, you can use plastic wire ties and anchor the shaft to the legs...

JulyPDTrip-06006.jpg

It makes it easy to take down/put up and move as you need it..

I had thought about drilling a hole in the top and sliding the shaft through the hole, but that limited me too much on the location and having to move the bench to meet the sun location..

Some of the heavier benches have had what appears to be a trailer hitch ball welded behind the seat and the umbrella pole attached to it....

Get a Bass Pro catalog. And look up their chair umbrellas. They sell the umbrellas, and they sell the mounting brackets. Including brackets that attach directly to chairs. Tom.

Quote:
Get a Bass Pro catalog. And look up their chair umbrellas. They sell the umbrellas, and they sell the mounting brackets. Including brackets that attach directly to chairs. Tom.

They will sell anything and so would I but "making it happen" for $5 is a handy bit of knowledge. There is never a tree when you need one.

That's sure some opne country, sunburn, and dehydration.

I've found that it is best not to have anything attached to my shooting platform that might catch the breeze. Got enough troubles with just me staying steady, let alone something extra that might wiggle my gun. If I could find something that was not attached to my bench I would sure go that route. Just my .02.

I stole the umbrella that comes with our porch table (a big one). I just pound a piece of rebar into the ground and slide it over right next to the bench. Holds up in a pretty good wind too.

Here's what we use in Texas ya'll know where every thing is bigger. The awning will roll up for travel and , roll out in about five minutes.I put folding jacks on four corners. [image]
DSC06664-1.jpg
[/image] [image]
DSC06676.jpg
[/image] [image]
DSC06667.jpg
[/image] [image]
DSC06563.jpg
[/image]

Last edited:
Quote:
Here's what we use in Texas ya'll know where every thing is bigger. The awning will roll up for travel and , roll out in about five minutes.I put folding jacks on four corners.
DSC06664-1.jpg
DSC06676.jpg
DSC06667.jpg
DSC06563.jpg

I just got back from a WY P-dog shoot. Based upon the velocity of the wind gusts I encountered, I would be concerned about the umbrella's being turned inside out - if not blown into the next county. Curious as the antelope are - they would enjoy the show. I recommend going with a light weight long sleeved shirt and SPF 30 sun screen.

Last edited:
gonedawgn: I am very interested in your leg attachment method for your tables.

We have been using threaded pipe flanges, and this last trip left me with severe pain in my right hand for 2 days after.

I had a vision of a clamp of sorts that would lock with a cam type thing. ( I have seen this clamp industrially and can't find it).

PM me or post if you would a close-up, thanks.

HM

I use a RCBS R.A.S.S. 360 degree swivel seat and shooting bench. it has an optional umbrella that attaches to the end of the seat bracket but I won't use it in any wind as it moves the bench around too much. the last trip I had an old umbrella in a stand next to the shooting bench and the wind destroyed it in a day. I ended up wearing a hooded sweatshirt with a cap, not fun on warm days.

Back