what to expect to pay for custom rifle

coloradocat

I have never had a custom rifle before. I was wondering if a guy wanted to change a remington 700 from one caliber to another what do think it would cost?I dont have the rifle yet but i am trying to get a ball park figure before I get to far into it.I want to change whatever caliber I need to buy to a 284 winchester just because I like the round.I have a 284 in a model 88 now but I think I could better accuracy from the bolt.

You can count on the cost of the barrel, and what ever it costs to chamber, thread and screw it on. If you go with a match grade Shilen for instance you can count on about 210 dollars for CM or 275 for stainless. Just my opinion but I wouldn't waste too much money on a 284. That should start a good fight. I will bring the Popcorn

Dave

The very best deal that I know is from http://www.pac-nor.com/

Their service and their Stainless Super match barrels have proved to be extremely tough, lasting longer than some other custom makers.

Their 3 groove barrels are awesome, fast and less fouling.

I think that it is about $500 to get their best stainless barrel chambered by the gunsmith in their shop...fantastic work. I have had them do 3 of the 7 STW's zero freebore, 6.5/06 .025 freebore, 223 zero freebore, and 6 PPC Match.

I'm getting velocities that no one would believe out of some of these Pac Nor 3 groove barrels with extreme accuracy.

Pac nor has a service where they will throat the chamber with the rounds that you provide to them at no extra cost.

If your going thru the trouble and expense of a new pipe you might as well have a good stock put on it along with a good trigger, since theres a lot more to a custom rifle than a barrel. There are several semi custom rifle makers and higher end factory rifles out there that make real good quality rifles for less than the cost of a reworked remmy 700, especially since you dont have the donor action.

284 win pushing a 180 gr vld bullet is awesome. I have one and love it. As far as cost goes I would use a benchmark stainless hand lapped barrel at $260 plus another $140 to thread and chamber it makes for a $400 rebarrel.

+1 on the PacNor suggestion. Chris and his folks can do a lot of action trueing and will professionally fit a barrel that will shoot extremely well, or he'll sell you a barrel and a smith can do the chambering and fitting. Your choice.

As was previously stated, PacNor barrels are excellent for the money. From experience in this day and age, for the same dollars, I would shy away from Shilen barrels. They are not what they used to be in terms of hardness and overall good long accuracy life.

Depending on your definition of a "custom rifle", you can probably spend in the neighborhood of $500 on up to maybe $5000+ without too much trouble at all. The sky is really the limit. It just all depends on what work you want to pay to have done to both the action/barrel and the stock to come up with your definition of a true "custom rifle".

And... There's nothing wrong with the 284 Win cartridge. I have a rifle chambered for one and it is a very effective cartridge. A few years back, it was one of the most often requested chamberings in a custom rifle according to the American Custom Gunmaker's Guild.

Here's a link to the ACGG, if you're thinking in terms of the sky is the limit... Lots of truly serious custom rifle builders listed in their ranks...

http://www.acgg.org/

-BCB

I HAD MY FRIST RIFLE BUILT FOR AROUND 300$ ON MY SECOND FOR AROUND 600$ IT MOSTLY DEPENDS ON THE COST OF THE BARREL THAT YOU PICK AND ALL THE OTHER THINGS THAT YOU MIT WANT DONE. THE GUNSMITH THAT I USE IS ALL SO REASONABLE WITH HIS LABOR AND DOES FRIST CLASS WORK

A few years ago I had Hart install a barrel, blueprint the action, and teflon coat the barrel on a Remington 700 Titanium .308. It cost $600, and shoots under 1" 5 shot groups at 200 yds with any factory loads that I have tried. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Frank

About 1800.00 with the purchase of a donor rifle. 350.00 for a barrel,
350.00 for the action, 400.00 to true the action, install the barrel, 400.00 to
600.00 for a stock, 200.00 for a trigger. These are round a bout figures but
I think if you check with a few builders they are about right. ( and don't forget
the 9 month or more wait.

Anyone who pays 1800 for a custom barrel and chamber needs to be competing with it not hunting. Personally I think its crazy to drop that kind of money on a hunting rifle when you can take a stock action, a good barrel and a bedded stock and make it shoot half inch while spending under $900 for the entire build donor action included. I try to steer people away from high dollar and into good value. Dont get me wrong if someone is insistant on spending that kind of money I would be happy to help them do it.

"Custom" could be as simple as a rechamber job with the appropriate barreled action in the $125-200 range to a full-blown custom rig costing 2K. For example, I have a Rem 700 ADL in .243 that I'm thinking about having rechambered to 243 AI the g-smith quoted me $125 for the barrel set back and the rechamber job. That's the nice thing about a "custom rifle," you can take it as far as you want and get all the bells and whistles depending on how much you want to spend.

Last edited:
I have only had 1 rifle built for me. I will most likley never hunt with it. I have only put maybe 30 rounds thru it in the 4 years I have had it. A month after my grandfather died, the man who really introduced me to shooting, I found a 1903 A3. It had been cut down to an 18" barrel. It had no trigger or bolt. The previous owner threw away the original stock and had roughed a manliecher (SP) stock. And it was rusted solid. I got it for $40.00. I wish I took before pictures. As a tribute to grandpa I sent it to his favorite gun smith in Seattle and had a new 1-14 twist .338-06 barrel put on it. Installed a bolt, new bottom metal, and a timney trigger. He finished the stock, and trued the whole thing. Total cost was about $1600.00. But it is priceless to me.

101_0334.jpg

101_0335a.jpg

And I still couldn't bring myself to to drill and tap a pristine 03-A3 action. So it got iron sights.

Last edited:
I am putting together a semi-custom as we speak. I paid $375 for a Kreiger SS Fluted barrel, $150 Custom Reamer, $195 Fit and Chamber, $150 True Action.

I havent come up with a stock yet but it should run about $500 and an additional $150 to bed and channel it.

I've done a few and bigwheeler isn't far off! Cost of the doner rifle or an action, 400 minimum. The barrel will run 250 +/-. Add 400 to true the action and chamber and that's IF your smith has the reamer in stock, otherwize add a couple hundred more for a reamer. Than there's the stock, a new trigger and a bedding job and 1800 sounds pretty close.

Well guys, I must be living right. I had a Hart barrel installed on my action. The action was trued and the bolt face was squared, lugs trued and lapped and a few other things done to the receiver to accurize it. Total cost for everything, out the door was $465.00. I had my own stock and trigger already. My smith charges $165.00 to work the action, chamber, contour, and install the barrel. The guy is a retired BR shooter and his work is first class.

What are you wanting out off the gun?
what 2 calibers are you wanting?
Hunting or target?
What kind off accuracy are you expecting?
1'' 3/4'' 1/2'' or 1/4''
Why are you set on a remington?
You can build a savage with a good aftermarket barrel like krieger,pac nor,shilen,douglass.
And for sure they will shoot under 1/2''
You can get good after market stocks,triggers for alot less them a remington.
Price wise savage is the way to go unless your wanting to
win a national title.
With a savage you can even change the bolt head and go from say a 17 rimington to a 300 win mag ect.

Back