Bobcat kill in central TX

yotecatslayer34

My boss told me about 2 months ago that him and his wife went to go check on their chickens one evening and they saw a bobcat. they had been having some come up missing / dead so I was down to at least give it a try and help them out....

Shot once with my 20ga 870 and a Federal premium #2 mag. I used a Sceery AP-6 , longrange tweety, and the FX3.

sorry for the stupid question but how do i attach pics? Im sure its really easy

cat2.jpg

cat.jpg

Last edited:
thanks yooper I sure do appreciate it. Duck... as far as I know there isnt but Ive never really looked it up either. I sure hope there isnt a season

Good job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I would get that one mounted. How far was he when you blasted it with the 20 Gage?

No, there is no bobcat season in TX. You got yourself one FINE looking cat! Tell me you skinned it out.

Very nice.

Tony

Thanks Tony I sure do appreciate it.... thats my 1st bobcat
ever (very new to predator hunting, been at it for Maybe 5 or 6 months) Im probably really going to regret saying this but I screwed up Big time and didnt do anything with that beautiful cat. I would say 75% of my friends/family give me a hard time for that so I guess Im gonna get it from you guys too ... I guess I deserve it cuz I just flat out was overtaken by excitement and never really thought about getting a mount.

hm- thanks, when I showed my boss he was like " no way man! that thing looks like a [beeep] leopard !! " lol I was about to fall out from joy / laughter when he told me that.

thanks yoop, maybe I can redeem myself and get the next one mounted. Sure would suck if I blew a once in a lifetime cat on account of me not using my head =\ The whole thing really took me by storm. FX3 for 1min with the yote locator and rested for 1 minute. Hit the bobcat in heat, then the tweety. rested a minute and I noticed the cat around 75 yards away after the baby cottontail played for maybe 20 seconds. She ever so slowlyy came within 45yds and just stared at me until I put the lights out.

Nice Cat.... I will give you the pass on the mount. A bobcats summer coat in TX is pretty thin, but heck they are pretty thin in the winter to here.... Winter coats seem to thicken up just a bit though. I shot two last summer and 5 this winter. The ones this winter had a little nicer coat... But seriously nice cat and nice spots on that thing. Congrats on your first cat.

Short summer coat or not, but would have made a heck of a tanned pelt. If you kill another one like it...throw it my way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Again, great job!

Tony

Quote:
His spots look almost like an ocelot.

Funny I thought the exact same thing when I saw it's spot pattern. The elongated spots running all the way up the sides along the back reminds me of an ocelot. I lived in Honduras as a kid and my father brought home an injured ocelot that became semi-domesticated and lived in the backyard for a few years. The spot markings, body structure, and facial patterning is extremely similar to the cat you have in your photos. In the Arizona Game and Fish regulations it mentions ocelots as a protected species indicating to me that there must be record of ocelots migrating up into Southern United States. Do you think it is possible you actually shot a ocelot by accident? Under markings are virtually the same.

If it is a bobcat I say mount that baby. It's beautiful!

Look at this ocelot for comparison and dull the vividness of its coat on account of the summer season.

Not wanting to cause waves just hoping to divert potential problems for the hunter.

ocelot01.jpg

I would guess Texas Fish and Game would be on your front porch any time now. I have never seen a bobcat spotted like that.

I hope you hid it good.

Dave

Yeah, can't see the tail in the photos but I assume its bobbed.

I did some investigating on the internet and see that Southern Texas does have an ocelot population and that they've been bred with bobcats in a controlled environment producing hybrids but the researchers state that they do not think these hybrids would occur naturally in the wild based on part to the vastly different habitat the 2 separate species are found in. Just trying to account for the ocelot-type spotting. We've all seen hugely varying spotting patterns on bobcats. This just must be an extreme variant. As I stated earlier- awesome cat and at least a rug is definitely in order. Congrats.

It is not an ocelot. No ocelots are in Austin, TX. Just a bunch of tea-sippers...grin...

It is indeed a bobcat.

Back