Help - Q. for Douglas barrel owners

TheBaron

Hi All,

I'm looking at a rifle in 6mm Rem that the seller says has a Douglas barrel on it. I've never owned a custom barrelled gun and I don't know how to confirm if it is a Douglas barrel. The only markings on the barrel is the caliber stamping ("6 MM REM") and "D. HENRY" stamped on the underside of the barrel, below the chamber area. Is this a Douglas barrel?

I have a reportedly .204 Douglas XX Match barrel on my AR and there are no markings on it that I'm aware of...

It does shoot near bug holes though and that's good enough for me..

204TargetW748.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

there is no sure way to know since the barrel maker doesnt generally mark the exterior of the barrel if the gunsmith didnt file it off douglas barrels usually have a really sharp transition from the straight shank to the tapered part of the barrel.

I have had several custom barrels and they were marked on the bottom, so the action has to be taken out of the stock to see it.

The D Henry may have been stamped by a gunsmith/ builder.

My Douglas barrels were fit & finished at the Douglas facility and are stamped above the stock line per each side of the chamber:

G.R. DOUGLAS
caliber

XX

Thanks for the help guys! Sounds like there's no sure way to tell, as the markings are likely from the gunsmith. I've always wanted a 6mm so I bought the rifle. Hopefully it'll shoot like yours, OldTurtle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The Baron_

Every Douglas I've seen prints the caliber abbreviated as REM, WBY,...

You can also generally determine a bolt action fit Douglas according to the barrel/chamber contour variations.

BTW, my Douglas barrels are excellent shooters and clean easily.

D.Henry would be the guy who chambered and or fit it. All Douglas' are stamped on the flat of the shank end. Have to unscrew the tube. Other makers share some of the same identical contours as Douglas.....

I have seen some very good shooting Douglas tubes. I have also seen a few that are a bit rough. If it is marked "XX" it is an air guaged barrel and supposedly a bit straighter than the "non-XX" ones......

Back