Thinking of a 223 Ackley again !!!

gethuntin

I have a cz527 varmint kevlar that my intention were to AI it but it shot way to good i dont want to mess with it and its kinda heavy for a walking gun and a close quarters gun.

And i still have a the Ackley bug. I am thinking of gettting a stevens 200 and either getting the barrel reamed or get a middle od the road custom barrel for it already chambered.

Well i have two tikkas and really like how smooth they are and the trigers etc. And they seme to have good barrels already. With the money spent into a stevens for decent trigger and possibly te custom barrel i am thinking i could just get the tikka factory barrel reamed out. Does anyone know who has reamed tikkas out before.
Whats your guys opinion on my options and does anyone know someone that is reasonable and works on tikkas?

this is something i am in no big hurry to get going but i like to get an idea what route to go in ase i run across one of these guns for a good deal.

Thsnks in advance

If looking to do a .223AI, two things I would look at when choosing the platform to build your AI on. Look that the barrel is a fast twist (1/8) and also make sure that the magazine box has the ability to hold the heavies bullet seated long. The beauty of the .223AI is how efficient it can push the heavies. You don't want to hinder that with a small mag box and slow twist. A fast twist will shoot the 40s just as well.

I see that Shilen Is now making screw on barrels for the savage in a multitude of calibers. Their top of the line barrel i believe is only about $380? May want to look there too. Keep us posted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
If looking to do a .223AI, two things I would look at when choosing the platform to build your AI on. Look that the barrel is a fast twist (1/8) and also make sure that the magazine box has the ability to hold the heavies bullet seated long. The beauty of the .223AI is how efficient it can push the heavies. You don't want to hinder that with a small mag box and slow twist. A fast twist will shoot the 40s just as well.

Good point i was thinking the tikka already has a 1/8 but it does have a short mag and i was thinking of possibly shooting some 55 to 60 gr vmaxes through her.

Quote:
If all you are shooting is 55-60gr, the magbox will suffice. However, the beauty of a .223AI is the 75AMAX.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Quote:
If all you are shooting is 55-60gr, the magbox will suffice. However, the beauty of a .223AI is the 75AMAX.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif (grin)

The 75Amax isn't my first choice for a deer bullet, but it'll work.

223AI w/75Amax.....250yds and it exited.

100_2932-2.jpg

meat buck, 22-250 w/75Amax....200yds and no exit.

croppedgoodpic.jpg

What are you thinkin', man? A-max don't kill deer. Just ask some of our resident experts. Cat? .......LAFFIN'

I still got some of the old Predator Camo also. Great in late fall/winter.......

Back