Black dog

NASA

About two weeks ago I saw a red fox run across the road in front of me in the early AM. It was in a semi rural residential area near downtown Elsinore. Last Saturday, just before sunset, I decided to try calling it up. I found a good spot on the hill, and put the FP out about 50 yds., then climbed up on a water tank so I could glass the surrounding area. I gave 3 good squalls with the AP-6 then turned on low rodent squeeks on the FP. In about four minutes up out of a small draw comes a black coyote. Not jet black, but really, really dark. And he's homing in on the FP. I let him come in to about 50 feet of the caller, then switched it off. His radar was locked on and he kept coming. When he was about 5 feet from the caller I jumped up and yelled at him. I didn't want to chase my caller down into those nasty little arroyos. I don't know if this guy qualifies as melanistic, but he was the closest to black I've ever seen.

NASA,About 8 years ago I was hunting in Nevada with my brother and we were at a stand and had a Black coyote come in.At first I thought it might be a dog,but the closer it got the more I could tell it was a coyote.Needless to say with the confusion of not knowing whether it was a coyote or a dog I missed it.hehehehe So I know them Black coyotes exist.
smile.gif
GOOD HUNTING

I fell in Lake Elsinore once years ago....turned black for about 3 days..grew a third eye and became incensed with watching Rosie O'Donnell...who really has a striking resemblance to Conway Twitty...anyway, Lake Elsinore can do strange things to critters. Wonder if that coyote has been sipping from the banks?

[This message has been edited by Big Jerk (edited 12-17-2001).]

AP-6 and fox pro , boy that technique sounds familiar . he . he . Told ya it worked good !!!!!! Glad to see someone is putting it to good use . I havnt touched my AP-6 in about four months . (been useing the howeler). I guess its time . !!!!!GOOD GOING . Later Jerry .

UT, I'd love to bag this sucker but he's in a heavily populated area, so shooting is out of the question. I wonder if it's possible to call a coyote in to a trap? I couldn't leave an unattended trap, but maybe I could call him in close enough to some bait (fresh rabbit 3' off the ground) surrounded with snares, or ??? What do you think?

Hey, BJ- You sound like you know Lake Smellsomore pretty well! If that 3rd eye grew on the back of your head I'll go huntin' with you any day, LOL!

Jerry, it was your droolin' over the FP (about 8-10 mo. ago) that put me on the phone to John in the first place. Best money I ever spent. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by NASA (edited 06-11-2001).]

Roadkill posted a picture of one he shot last year and has seen them several times. The picture is in Critr's topic, (Fox Photo's).
NASA, In my area, I've only heard of them being spotted way up north. But mannnnn I'd want one of those hides in the worst way.

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Hmmmmmmm, I got him on the stretcher already.
biggrin.gif

Coming from California this time of year he won't be the primest of critters, but hey....he's better then the one I got hanging now.

I'm rootin for ya NASA.
wink.gif

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

The first time I ever called in some coyotes (the only time) there was a black one with them. He was pretty wary though, the other two came in, but he stayed back, and I didn't see him again, I'll hopefully get him next year when the pelts are good.

Nasa,

How populated are we talking here? Are we talking just a little ways out of town, or RIGHT in town? If you are not in city limits, then it should be legal to shoot. To avoid disturbing the neighbors though, you may try a 22mag or maybe a 22 hornet. The 22mag, head shots only, or he may run. They both should be fine out to say 75 yards maybe?
If even thats too much noise, then I really dont know what to tell you, the trap idea MAY work though, it wouldnt hurt to try.

Hey there, Rhino. Yeah, that's the problem, inside the city limits. It's real hilly with houses 50 to 100 yards apart with trees and brush between, so a gun is "almost" ruled out. I'd have to take him at close range, throw him in the truck and haul a$$. I'm not a proficient trapper but I know I couldn't leave the trap untended. Can't risk anyone finding it. We've got some A/R types in them thar hills, too. I'd rather have him with a winter coat, but then I'm afraid he's going to get thumped in traffic before then. This is going to take some thinking.

Take up bowhunting? It's quiet and might even be legal in the city limits. After all, it's not a firearm. It would tough calling with a bow, but it sure would be a hoot if it worked out. Good luck...

Yeah, I thought about using the bow too, but if he doesn't instantly go down....... Tracking thru the neighborhood, with a bow, is a guaranteed interview with the Sheriff's Dept. in this town.

Back