TAC in a 22-250?

nimrod308

Anybody loading this? I had to go well over book to get near the velocity I should be getting. No "signs" of pressure, everything looks fine. What do you guys think?
Thanks

nim...."i had to go well over book".....what manual are you referencing?......and what does western powder show for that bullet weight in comparison to the manual you're using?

nim......go to ramshot.com and notice "they"-western powder- prefer big game for 22/250. they have load data available.......a lot of factors determine velocity,pressure,accuracy.....tac and ur barrel may not be a harmonious union with whatever bullet or bullet weight you're using.

Last edited:
I'm loading 55 gr. flat base bullets. The Ramshot web page lists 32.8 to 33.8 as max. depending on the bullet brand with velocities of 3585 to 3655. My loads of 32.5 gr. averaged 3175 out of my 24" bbl. I went up to 37 gr. which gave 3640 fps with no visible pressure signs. I went back down to 36.5 that gave an average of 3560 with good accuracy. One group 3 shots .6 and another group .8.
I need to get to loading for an up comming pd shoot. Thoughts?
Thanks for the help.

nim.....i'm truly surprised that western would list a min & max load that has roughly ONE grain of separation....i can't pull their load data down but nosler#6 shows TAC only in 40grn bullet.....BIG GAME for50grn and heavier.

nim.....give western a call tomorrow.....just to be safe....give'em details of your rifle....factory or gunsmith'd....ya don't want naggin thoughts in the back of ur head a long ways from ur adobe.....get after those prairie rats!

The 32.8 to 33.8 are MAX listings, the starting loads are lower. I have a long time favorite load of 36 gr. AA2520 with 55 gr. Sierra BT bullets at about 3600 fps but I could not find bullets or powder in enough quanity for the 1000 new cases I have to load. I also loaded and shot some 223 with TAC that the velocity was in line with the data. I went with TAC at the recommendation of a commercial reloader as a close substitute for the AA2520 that will also work well in the .223 and that meters well. I normally weigh all charges but with this volume of loading I plan to throw them.

my apologies,nim, i misread ur post.....the perils of internet reload'n....i hav a shilen barrel'd 22BR that avgs 4000fps & a kreiger barrel'd 22BR that gets 3850fps....same length,same twist,same powder&charge&bullet....it can be FM !...( frijol magic )

Back