Please Help

Dustballs

I have a new pup to train so I have been trying to call in some coyotes. I have never called this time of year so I am having a heck of a time. Here is how it has been going and what I have been doing. I start out a stand with a Dan Thompson jack indistress (he lives in the same town) on and off for about 10 to 15 minutes. If nothing comes then I go to pup in distress for 10 to 15 minutes. Now the following has happened three different times, not to long after the pup call I hear a den of coyotes go crazy like mom or pop was just returning to the den. So are they leaving and going back to a den to make sure all is well? I havent found the dens but know the vicinity they are in. They are all in different parts of the country. I have called a couple with just the jack call. Let me know if you have any insight or suggestions.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

if you know close to where the dens are get in as close as you can about day light and use the pup distress and be ready, it can be alot of fun this time of the year with a dog, last week my dogs were having second thoughts on wheather they wanted to work coyotes or not, they got whipped dang near everyday but i sure had fun, you get the dogs in close to the dens this time of the year it will sure help them learn the art of decoying

Thanks for the help. Do you think that is why they left to go back to the den to check things out. It sounded like we were quite aways from the den.

chances are you were in the middle of the family group and they had experience(the adults) with that pup distress sound before and were rallying the family to get the heck out of there. Or,they may have been trespassing in another 'yotes territory. IF you can get around in front of them successfully and do a lone howl - you MIGHT be able to get the adults to come in on you.

Trapper2 is right on about the adrenalin rush though from pulling them in with decoy dogs.

DUSTBALLS I went out yesterday evening at about 7:00PM because my COYDAR(coyote radar) was yaking at me to go try a certain spot. I got in there, full camo, setup the FX5 cross wind at 40 yards and started with Baby Cottontail in distress, volume level 12. Ten minutes off and on again with that call I switched to Jack Rabbit distress, volume level 16. Fiften minutes of that off and on I see a 'yote busting wind and coming at 12:00 O'clock; I'm facing 1:00 O'clock. Looks like a sure thing! At the 350 yard mark I give him Coyote Pup distress to keep him coming. BIG mistake! It was like I hit it in the side of the head with a flat shovel, or, had been there done that before! It diverted to my right and headed up a different ravine.

My conclusion: This was an invading coyote, had eyes for an easy lunch, heard the Pup distress, knew it was trespassing in another territory, and split for parts elsewhere because it didn't want to be the target of abuse.

TRAPPER2 has it nailed. If your within close proximity of an active den, or, a bunch of pups, pup distress works well
and, as whats happened to me 4 times so far this spring? It can cause missed opportunity. I don't have a dog with me when this happens though. Just an FYI on todays happenings.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. It seemed as the simular was happening to me, you just confirmed it. I guess I will keep trying. Thanks.

Back