reload ?

cracker

I am reloading some 308 win rounds. heres my question, at 42.9 grains I am compressing the H4895 powder. my reloading books say max load is at 43.5 grains. I really dont think that 43.5 would come close to fitting in the remington brass. I am loading the sierra matchkinks in 168 grain. I have check the scale and its spot on. I started at 42 grains and worked up by .3 grains so I have 42, 42.3, 42.6,
and I quit at 42.9 grains I will try these at the range and look for pressure sign but I am confussed why the manuals are not indicateing a compressed load. should I be concerned or not, I hope one of the loads I have worked up will fill the bill in the accuracy department.
Sportingly
Cracker

Some of the extruded powders that call for a compressed load need to be dropped down the side of a long charging tube... For some reason, it allows more powder to compact in the case during the charging process..

I can't exactly answer your question, but I can tell you that you should be safe 43.5gr or less, as I just checked it out for you in about 6 different manuals. None list any of the loads as being compressed. The latest Barnes manual lists 43.5gr as being 97% load density........

What you might want to try is; get a 17 cal. funnel and drop your charge thru that. It will get you a little more room in the casing by allowing the powder to settled down more.

On some powders that I use for the '06, I have to do it this way so I am not crushing it to much. A little compression is not bad, but just don't go over-board.

Edit - looks like I was a little slow on the response.......

Last edited:
My experience with 308 cases:

Remington has less internal volume than Winchester (only two brands I have used). You stated you are using Remington.

Second, pouring powder slowly to the side of the funnel, allowing it to "swirl" compacts the powder better in the case.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Are you using military 7.62x51 or commercial .308 brass?

Meh - read it twice and missed the "remington brass".

/disregard

As stated earlier, try a tube or narrow funnel.

Back