DIY Wyoming antelope hunt.?

sboone

Hey everyone,

I just moved to Bromfield Colorado, and I would like to try to make a trip to Wyoming for an Antelope hunt this fall. I know a guy who Knows a guy who would let me hunt on his land if i pay him for it, but I was hoping to see if I could find some public land and save some money. I know the drawing deadline has passed so I'll have to see if I can pick up a leftover tag. I'm not looking for any trophies. Just wanted to give it a try. I would like a little help on where to start looking for some good public land to hunt and maybe any info about getting the tags and such. Just getting started here so any info is apprieciated! Thanks in advance!

Well, I can't really point you in a good direction, as I hunt a combination of public and private. However, I recommend that you check out the Hunter Management Areas within your comfortable driving distance. I failed to draw a tag in my preferred area a couple years ago and picked up a leftover tag in a nearby unit. There is little public land in this area, but I sorted through WY's HMA information, selected a spot, downloaded the application/permit, and ended up killing a buck antelope on my first trip to the area. He was far from a trophy, but it was a good honest hunt that put meat in the freezer and a good memory in my skull. I understand there are generally leftover tags in many of the predominantly private hunt units, so the HMAs might be a good option for you. Competition may be a little higher, but as in most hunting, if you're willing to walk a ways, you generally have the place to yourself.

Most anywhere in the state can be good, but the central and western part of the state has more BLM land. Door knocking will produce a hunting area or two on a regular basis too.

The eastern part so the state has good hunting but chances are you would have to pay a trespass fee.

The southern part of the state does have some checker board land. I haven't hunted it but I hear access can be a problem.

Get your self a "Wyoming Atlas & Gazetteer" book of maps, it should be no problem finding one in you area. It will show all the government (state, NF and BLM) land in WY. When the leftover tags become available (about july 4th) you'll be able to check out the BLM in any area you might want to hunt.

BTW you said your "not looking for any trophies" I sure would be. It shouldn't be too hard too find one good enough to mount.

Thanks for all the info so far. I have been looking at maps and trying to find some good spots. The only problem is that I can't find any kind of map that shows the different hunt units. So if I find some public land I don't know how to tell what unit it is in. From what I understand you do purchase tags that are good for certain units right?

In the hunting season booklet posted on the WY site is a map that will get you started. Click right here for a direct link. You can enlarge the map and go from there.

Assuming you are successful in your endeavor to get a tag, the WY Game and Fish will send a pretty decent hunt unit map along with your license and regulations. I took that map, and the very detailed unit boundary descriptions, and traced out the unit boundaries on my BLM maps with a red Sharpie.

sboone,
You will find everything your looking for in Central Wyoming. Anywhere around the Casper area is good Antelope country. Trust me when I tell you that you should not pay anyone to hunt Antelope. Most ranchers have an abundance of Antelope and they are none too fond of them. Most are happy to have prairie goat hunters. Ask the same rancher to hunt deer and they will probably tell you to pound sand. Antelope are a different matter altogether. If all you can get is a leftover doe tag, then just about any piece of public land will hold goats. Seriously, if someone is offering to let you hunt for a fee, just politely decline and do it yourself. Some knocking on doors on private property as well as a good BLM map should be all you need to enjoy some Antelope hunting.

Thanks HighPlainsDrifter. It looks like there are some leftover tags for unit 7 which is near Casper. Can you tell me if you think this might be a good place to try. I've ordered some maps and a WY atlas but I havn't got them yet. So I don't know if there is som good public land in that area or not.

I don't know area 7 personally. But get a set of BLM maps that show public land and a "walk-in" area book from game and fish. There's a loooooot of places to chase goats around.

we hunted 113, just to the east. Lotta goats. Lotta private land. Lotta oil field property. You might find something if you pay a modest trespass fee, like we did. It's really pretty country.

bownut.

Back