Thinking about purchasing a Henry Big Boy? Think again!!!

bowhunter57

I've been trying to get my local gun dealer to get me a Henry Big Boy in .357 Mag., for a couple of months. After asking a few other dealers about the back order situation, they were having the same problem getting any Henry Big Boy rifles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I was at the Dundee, Michigan Cabelas, yesterday and asked if they could order me one. Well...in all of their stores, nation wide AND all their vendors there are no Henry Big Boys available. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If the demand is that high...and it is, why wouldn't Henry Repeating Arms step up production?

Originally, I just thought is was a local dealer issue, but now I'm seeing that it's a Henry Repeating Arms problem...nation wide. I don't understand their lack of increasing production to satisfy customer demand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

It's the same with the ammo makers. They're thinking that this current craze toward buying up guns and ammo will die down, and if they staff up now (and invest in the extra equipment to up production), it will all go to waste in the future...

Dan

Dan's exactly right I'm sure many of these suppliers wish they had greater capacity. But just as no one predicted the start of the incredible demand no one can predict when the bubble will burst going forward. One thing that is for sure this demand is not sustainable. If that is the case large investments may not get paid off by the demand that may go away at any time. This demand is honestly created more by fear than anything else which by its very nature displaces logic. But like many others I'm just as fearful of Obama and his policies.

My local dealer here had them in stock a month or so ago. I dont know if he still has some. He mentioned he couldnt get the 357 but had them in 44. I dont know if thats changed? Want me to make a call for you and see what he has?

There is 2 on guns america: ($670 & $739)
http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.aspx?T=357%20henry

4 on gunbroker: The $1500 one is listed twice

$1500
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130776147

$750
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130849449

$900
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130884597

Most things are still available if you know where to look.
I'm surprised your gun dealer didn't search very hard to make a sale. With all the mass buying I have found most dealers less than helpfull when they actually might have to work.

Quote:
If the demand is that high...and it is, why wouldn't Henry Repeating Arms step up production?

Originally, I just thought is was a local dealer issue, but now I'm seeing that it's a Henry Repeating Arms problem...nation wide. I don't understand their lack of increasing production to satisfy customer demand.

Why does everyone think its just that easy?

The Gun manufacturers realize that the temporary high demand is artificially created...an investment in increasing production capacity would not be profitable in the long run.

I have one!! I bought it for my wife about 3 months ago. I had the local Cal Ranch bring it down from their Merridian Idaho store. It was the only store that had one. I could find them in 44 but not in 357.

Plus!...... Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Henry just recently change hands? Seems like I heard that they had been purchased by a larger company.

Chupa

You guys have opened my eyes to the cost factor involved with an increase in production. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif It makes perfect sense on the side of the manufacturers' perspectives.

I guess I'll sit on my hands and wait it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:

Have you tried their vendor search. Just put in your zip, select distance and search.

Not myself, but my local gun dealers have and come up empty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

No matter, as I'm content to take something else out to hunt coyotes with and when the supply is replenished I'll get one then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Quote:
No matter, as I'm content to take something else out to hunt coyotes with and when the supply is replenished I'll get one then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Well, it was worth the wait. I stopped by my local gun shop and my Henry had just arrived. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I can't wait to take my first coyote with this Henry rifle.

Sorry you had to wait so long, but Henry repeating arms is a small company really. As far as customer service goes with them you will find out if you ever need something from them, you'll be glad they are still a small family size company. Anthony Emperato(sp?) the companies CEO has called me back personally any time I've had a warranty issue. They are one of the last true 100% made in the USA companies. If they were to artificially step up production to meet a temporary demand I bet all the things that make them great would be sacrificed.

Last edited:
Back