Rifle break in

No wizzed in the corn flakes here. I've bought a bunch of factory rifles over the years and never considered it. Most shot more that acceptable groups (at least to me). I've read articles that seem to contradict one another. I read an article a while back from Gale McMillan where he basically states it's b.s. And even those high end rifles and barrel's are factory lapped and don't "need" broke in. But breaking them in does move you a couple hundered rounds closer to buying another one of their barrels then mulitply that by the number of barrels sold and their certainly is an economic benifit for recommending it. At least for me, I'm going to chalk it up to b.s. and load the sucker and shoot it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I personally think there may be something to it, however I'm not sure how great the rewards are to doing it. Would I do it for my new carry/calling rifle......No. Would I do it on my new GAP Crusader.....Probably. I'm just not sure I would notice the difference in doing and not doing.

I don't know

Chupa

Quote:
Your such a fence rider!

Eh..... I been called worse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

What I mean is; It probably does help, but I think it is more beneficial to ease of cleaning down the road and not so much as "Will it make my rifle more accurate". Would I do it on a $3000 rifle I intend to compete with? Probably as it can't hurt, But I wouldn't waste my time doing it on I rifle I plan to just call coyote's with because the accuracy benefits are going to be minimal(sp?) at best.

Is that clearer?

Chupa

Or how about this. There is a difference between being a good shot and being a GREAT shot. I would venture to say that the vast majority of us here are good shots...being better than average, but at the same time I would say that there are only a handful of us here that are GREAT shots. I consider myself to only being better than the average BTW. My point is this, Me being better than average.... EVERY rifle I own is more accurate than me and I'm better than average. My rifle's can only be as accurate as I am but they are capable of much more than I can perform. So will I see a difference? Probably not much if any /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Would Jack or RidgeRunner see a difference? Maybe a little, but that little could mean "The Blue Ribbon".

So, I think there is something to it. But the vast majority of us probably aren't going to get the full benefit from the effort.

How bout that?

Chupa

Does anyone think that the "brake-in" procedure works only because of the fact that you have been "practicing" with your new rifle and naturaly your gonna become a better shot with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

If you realy want to test the "barrel brake-in" put 5 on paper, then do the so-called brake in just hip shooting, once you've done your brake-in put 5 more on paper and I'd be willing to bet it's not any better than the first 5, but you would probably be one heck of a hip shooter due to the PRACTICE!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

just my .02

-Vent-

Quote:
I was just rib'en ya Chup. No need to explain.

No, I know you were just given me a hard time, But after re-reading what I had said.....even I thought it needed clarification /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

I don't write for a living and with good reason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chupa

Back