bought a catahoula pup how versitile are they?

24Vford

well like i said in the subject i bought a catahoula pup an plan to use her for mainly coon an squirrel an everyday compaion but was wondering if she would also run bobcat or mt lion if i got the chance to go somewhere those critters r running

i do have a real problem with barn cougers around my place so she will be helping to nip that problem in the butt just curious to see what experiences poeple have had on here with them

i've used them on coyotes and hogs and have a 1/2 catahoula, 1/2 blackmouth now that i've started on coyotes, but i've never hunted loins or cats, they will hunt about anything you train them for imo. there some guys that can tell you alot about the cat hunting with them when they get on here, good luck with her

Never done much hunting with one, but my mom has raised probably 10-12 litters over the years. In my opinion you can't find a breed as a whole that is any more versatile. They are as good a family dog as I could ever hope for and they have a look that is all their own. Congrats on getting one.

ive never had a dog that would put up with kidds the way this pup does my neice is 3 and is a little rough with her an she seems to just take it with out a much of a fuss im really hopeing she can put game in the truck i like a hot nosed dog that will not open till its almost on top of what its running so we will just have to see how she pans out i guess

I have two studs, and some out crosses out of them. From your last post,I would say a good Catahoula is just what you want.
If you look thru some old post, you will see what I do with mine. I would call them "versitile".
As for "kid freindly" I have found the same thing in my line.A kid can't play rough enough, to irritate my boys, they just play along, with pulled ears, or tails, or bein ridden, walked on,or just cuddled when they are tryin to sleep.
If you want some more info, or pics, send a "pm", I'll help you as much as I can.

We got our first Catahula from Duane. Liked the breed so much we got two more. They are smartand will chase anything you tell them to. And aslo get pets.

Camonut, I got pups right now, you have three, just as well have one more.
Thanks for the kind words about the pup you got from me.
He is a dandy, If you ever want to sell him back, let me know.
Camo14months.jpg

This is Camonut's, April pup he bought last year.

Last edited:
thats a fine lookin dog when i get this dog started i may be lookin for another but will have to see how she pans out
cant wait to start workin her on some coon

We were at our farm the other day and a friend brought his quad over and Camo our Catahula ran neck and neck with the quad all the way through 4 gear he wasn't even trying that hard. He is super fast.
Loves to play scent games we let him smell it then hide it we even hidit in a tree and he climb the tree to get it the first branch was about 5 feet off the ground.
Camonut

Duane is that dog prue catahoula? The reason i ask is it has long muscular legs like a walker. I really like the coloration of that hound.

That pups is out of Buckshot(catahoula), and Outtie (Black and tan) Both pure bred. With catahoulas you never know what you will get ,shape or color wise, because there is lots of "old blood" in them.

Ah so i was kinda right about the legs i knew they were hound legs but completely wrong about breed. How tall at the shoulder is he would you guess? In the pic he almost looks like part sight hound of some sort. Guessing this is the result of big hound legs on a cur body.

IMG_0109.jpg

The black and tan in the pic is the dam.
The long legs come from old catahoula blood. If you do the research, you will find that they run from thin long legged super fast dogs, to big ole stout catch dogs, and every thing in between.They also can be any color, or combo of colors.Coat or eye color.
Camo was the tallest pup out of the litter.Had I known he would "leg out", I would have kept him for a catch dog.
I'll see if I can find a better pic of the female, when I get some time.

I learned something knew even in the summer. I didn't know they ranged that much in size. Now i know why on the websites the range in size could be 12" or more unlike alot of breeds were they range 4" or less. Makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Camonut, I got pups right now, you have three, just as well have one more.
Thanks for the kind words about the pup you got from me.
He is a dandy, If you ever want to sell him back, let me know.
Camo14months.jpg

This is Camonut's, April pup he bought last year.

Boy does that dog have nice feet. I like that.And a good build. do those Catahoula run with their head up?

I got a pup that was supposed to be a new cow dog /coyote,cougar dog . My wife has taken him over now he's her pet and rules the house . One thing about him is strangers and strange dogs are not getting into our yard .We're considering another . I've never had dog that talked so much , he whines and kind of yodels telling you what he wants , and the eyes just kill you . They're tough the kids and heelers cann't hurt him .

Back