Varmint Nightmare Bullets?

kevlars

Anyone shooting or have shot the Varmint Nightmare Extreme 55 grainers from Midsouth? They seem like a good deal if they shoot well. I want to try the 55's, and may also try the 34 gr. Do you think the 34's would shoot OK in my 20" AR with a 1 in 8 twist?

I want to set up two (or more) scopes with different magnifications, zeroed with different bullets to use for different situations, using ARMS throwlever rings to hold zero from setup to setup. I thought these bullets might be worth a try. Let me know what you guys think of them.

kevlars

I wish they'd get some of the 34gr in .204 (500 quantity). They've been out of them for a long time, and are a much better deal than the same bullet at MidwayUSA.

I have shot the 55's in several different 223's as well as my AR. The accuracy was acceptable but for colony varmints they just didn't have the splat factor desired.

shooter

i just got 1000 of the 50 grains and am not real impressed with the accuracy. i havnt tried to many different loads yet but most groups are around 1.25 inches in my .222 and 22 250

I got some .204 34 grn, and some .224 in 50 grn.. I had better success with other bullets. The Win 50 PSP shot alot better for me. For an inexpensive plinker they are ok, But I wouldnt expect V-Max type accuracy. Your results may differ.. Good Luck..

I use the 50gn in my ar and 222, for the money they are accurate enough. Sub moa in both rifles at 100 yards. I have yet to shoot a yote with them but have used them on armadillos skunks and posssums and crows ( solid body hit on crows results in cloud of red & black). Cut an armidillo in half last fall with the 222 at 200-225 yards.

Just so happens another thread here (1:9 twist) discussed these same bullets and seems results do differ. Reminds me of the Varget powder threads, results vary.

I am happy with them sub moa at 100 yards with a factory 30 year old Remington 788 .222 what more do you want. My best groups average in the .8's with a few 5 shot one hole groups (rare but has happened)

Some of my observations about the VNM's

1 at high end for calibre velocity/pressure they copper foul rather guick and accuracy falls off after 10-15 shots
not good for extended pd hunts for this reason will not even try them in my 22/250

2 weight varies as much as 2 grains (49-51 grains)

3 because of #2 I weigh my bullets into lots of same weight

4 length varies with weight so if you weigh the bullets length is similar by weight
as an aside i have noticed this same thing with vmax and smk bullets but the variance is not as large

5 if you want a load and go bullet these are not the ones
pay the money and get the vmax, smk, or berger bullets

In conclusion being the cheap bastid that I am you guys that are unhappy with the vnm's can send them to me and I will pay the shipping.

You guys have a nice weekend I am headed out to my country place for some loading, fishing, and cooking.

arky65

The 50 grain Varmint Nightmares are kind of a wet dream. They shoot two inch groups in my aAR that previously shot .5-.75 MOA with Vmax bullets and the same charge.

Last edited:
I've been shooting the 50's out of my .223 with exceptable results, right around an inch, minute of coyote anyway. The 34's out of my .204 have been a little better than that, but not much and I've just started working up some loads for my Stevens 200 in 22-250 using the 55's. So far in the 22-250 my groups have been pretty good with 3/4" about the average. I've tried H380 and IMR4064 with the best groups coming from H380.

You really cant expect too awful much from a inexpensive bullet. Most of these bullets offered like the Dogtown or the Varmint Nightmare, I consider to be more for the pleasure of shooting/blasting ammo. If you want real good accuracy the BT's or the Vmax is the way to go. For a cheaper bullet that shoots real good, the 55gr Hornady sp's with cannelure are the most accurate "inexpensive" bullet I have found.

I went out one day at 200 yards working up a load for the .204 with the 34gr, and 2/8 5-shot groups were half MOA. I haven't been able to repeat that day, but have tried. They could save you $50-100 on a prairie dog trip.

Quote:
I went out one day at 200 yards working up a load for the .204 with the 34gr, and 2/8 5-shot groups were half MOA. I haven't been able to repeat that day, but have tried. They could save you $50-100 on a prairie dog trip.

Heres the rub.
It cost the same to push a cheap bullet out of the barrel as a good one, we all know that. But considering the cost of powder, primers, food, fuel, hotel or camping supplies, etc..........

One of last years trips I spent about 30 bucks just on ice to keep extra food and drink cold!

50 to 100 bucks savings is nothing when all other costs are included. I would be happy to pay it for the performance of premium bullets.

I've been considering that. I've been trying to find a load using Ramshot powder I got really cheap too, so no, it really doesn't have to cost the same as shooting a premium bullet/premium powder. Actually the prices on Ramshot powder are up above what the premium powders cost before the shortages. I wonder if it'll come down again. I agree that if you miss much more than using premium components, the savings is not justified on a hunting trip, where it's one of the minor expenses.

For prairie dogs, I don't know if there's any "rub" if you can get sub MOA out to 300 yards on 98% of your shots. Those are dead, sometimes nearly disappearing prairie dogs. They aren't coyotes, where you may shoot less than 100 in your life, let alone half a day.

Back