1 in 9" twist .223 barrel owners please read.

MPFD

I would like some input on loads you guys have come across that are very accurate. Doesn't have to be fast. I would like it faster then 2600 fps, but open to all opinions. Thanks for any and all tips you can give me. I am loading for a 16" AR with a 1 in 9 twist. When I first got the rifle it was really accurate with 26 grains of Varget and a 50 g. Vmax bullet. I bought a 500 count of 50 g. Midsouth Varmint Nightmares that I sub'd for the V max bullets and they are not shooting nearly as well as the Vmax's did. As many people as I've heard speak highly of these bullets I'm wondering if my gun just doesn't like em or just need a different powder for the new bullet. Any opinions?

Last edited:
55 grn sierra #1390 with 21.7grns X-Terminator
55grn Hornady FMJ with 23.6 IMR 3031

These are the starting loads but I've had accuracy of less than 1" at 100yds. That's good enough for Government work...

The pic you saw me post before of that group was out of a 20" 1 in 9 twist bushmaster vmatch barrel. 55gr VMax, 23.5 of Benchmark, Black Hills brass, and WSR primers.

don't mean to go off topic but does anyone know who makes the midsouth varmint nightmares??. my savage 22 250 shoots anything great except these and i just recieved 1000

They wouldn't tell me. I'm wondering if its not a bullet problem, cause they shot Vmax's great!

I'm almost positive they're made by Nosler. That doesn't make them equal to the average Nosler but I believe that's who makes them.

Different Bullets shoot different Groups with the same Powder charge.

I have been working up loads for my 223 and have tried 55Gr Hornady Bulk and Blitzking Bulk with 24.4 Grains of Varget. The Hornadys shoot 3 inch groups at 200 Yards and the Blitzkings shoot quarter size groups at 200 Yards.

I have learned alot since I have started working up loads.

I do not have experience with 1:9 twist but do shoot a lot of 50 vnm(varmint nitemare)You may be expecting too much from these bullets. I use them in my dtech ar 1:10 and my .222 and they are sub moa at 100 yds in both guns but a vmax or smk they are not. I sort them by weight and they vary as much as 2 grains. may not seem like a lot but the v max i have weighed varied less than one grain through hundreds of bullets.

My Dtech ar will one hole five shots(large hole) with vmax and smk's but the best I can get with the vnm is .8's in a cluster. For plinking and hunting purpose this is fine with me for the price. they are the most accurate bullet I have used for the price and they are devastating on armadillos, skunks and such out to 250 yards.

I have not considered seating them deeper but will try that and see happens. Will try to do it in the next couple days and get back to you on that.

I hadn't really weighed them but should have. I was skeptical about these cause of their price. But the Guy at midsouth assured me that they are made by a very reputable company and were held to a high standard. Guess I will put them away and go back to Hornady's!

Well, my 1-9 Bushy (14.5") shoots 50grn Sierra's into about 3/4" @ 100y usually. I tried the 50grn midsouths and couldnt get them to shoot less than about 1.25 to 1.5".

Now the 55grn Midsouths are a different animal it seems. these shoot very well in my bushy- close to the same as the Sierras.

My fav load right now under these or 55grn Hrndy Sp's is 26.2 grns TAC with a winny SRP.

You can send them to me and I will dispose of them for you no charge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Quote:
In an AR? Should I seat them deeper then 2.250"

I would not seat them deeper.
The AR-15s should work fine with almost any bullet and a COAL that will fit in your magazines. My Mil-Spec mags and Magpul P-Mags have no trouble with a COAL of 2.250-2.260 in all the ARs I have tried.

40 grain Sierra Blitz bullets and H-335 deliver excellent accuracy in my 1-9 twist 223; 3 shots in 3/8" groups at 100 yards. That's for those of us that LOVE high speed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Martyn

60 gr. V-Max / 25.5 Gr. Varget in 1-9" barrel. What's wrong with shooting a coyote with 1.5 MOA bullets??? Pretty sure a coyotes chest is bigger than 1.5" across. For paper punching I can see the problem, but not for shooting coyotes.

Back