7x57???

bluto

i got a 93 mauser in 7x57, what kinda performance should i expect?
white tail and coyote is the only thing i will use it for.

Deer, bear not a problem. Similar to 7mm-08.
They were used to kill elephants in Africa at one time, believe it or not. So Ive read.

Last edited:
Jack O'Connor's wife Eleanor used the 7X57mm on elk and mule deer and a lot of African game. I had one in a Ruger No 1 years ago when I hunted deer with a rifle and i killed quite a few with it using 130gr to 140gr bullets at about 2800fps.Classic caliber that is hard to beat for a deer getter.

Last edited:
Good deer/black bear/elk/moose cartridge. Don't know of anyone that has tried it for coyote should work with the right loads though. To get the best performance out of it you will have to reload, most of the factory loads are 175 gr RN. Not the best choice for all purposes.

The 7x57, or as it is also known the .275 Rigby, is an absolutely classic game cartridge with a worldwide reputation. At one time as many people knew about the 7x57 as they did about the .30-06, it was that well known. In fact, the way the Spanish tore up the Americans with the 7x57 during the Spanish American War, is one of the key reasons the American Army moved out of the large bore blackpowder era and into the modern day flat shooting smokeless cartridge developement that eventually sired the .30-06 itself. Walter Bell killed many hundreds of elephant in Africa with 175 gr. FMJ bullets in his ivory hunting times. Push a quality 140 gr. 7mm over 2,800 fps and you'll have a deer killing machine. I owned a sporterized Mauser 7x57 with a German 4X scope as a kid and it was a sweet shooting rifle.

My dad deer hunts with a Ruger #1 International in 7x57. I can tell you from experiance not to use 140 grain Nosler b-tips on coyote because they make a big hole in deer but work very well.

My dad had a sporterized Mauser in 7x57 when I was a kid. It never did shoot very accurate, the barrel was just toasted.

About 15 years ago, he found a 308 model 788 left hand. Had it rebarreled to 7x57. I tried my best to talk him into a 7-08 so it would handle the shells in the mag. No doing, He was bound to get it in 7x57 and did. The gun will shoot sub MOA on a regular basis. He has to single feed it due to the mag not accepting a round.

That has not been a problem due to the fact one shot from it and the deer is going down.

The 6mm was designed by simply necking down the 7x57. If brass is hard to come by for it, just neck up some 6 mm brass and you are good to go.

In a modern rifle, the 7x57 will out run the 7-08 but for all practical purposes they are ballistic twins.
Load data for the 7x57 is conservative due to all the old mausers chambered for it.

It is one of the classics that appear to stand the test of time.

I have had a Winchester Model 70 Lightweight ( that's right, Lightweight, not Featherweight...the stock is different), in 7X57, for many years. You want to reload for this caliber, because most factory ammo is too mild loaded to appreciate what this old workhorse is capable of. The 7X57 was probably the first smokeless powder loaded cartridge to gain a good reputation as a hunting caliber. When you work up a good handload for it, it will do just about anything that a 270, 280, 7-08, and other similar calibers are capable of.....with a little less recoil and powder. I think it is a top 5 deer caliber.

Quote:
white tail and coyote is the only thing i will use it for.

If you do your own reloading, the Model 93 will do everything you ask of it. Just keep the loads moderate.

Quote:

You will be fine in the accuracy department if you reload in my opinion. I shoot a tang saftey Ruger M77 in the 7x57 but got horrible results with factory loads and likely due to conservative ammo due to older rifles still being widespread as mentioned above. With very modest efforts in load development I quickly got to MOA. The one thing I found is that, in my rifle anyway, an extremely deep throat that will not allow you to get anywhere near the lands with any spitzer style bullets that I have tried. I got a little closer by using a 154gr Hornady round nose and still stayed in the MOA department. Not benchrest accurate but that combo will put the hurt on big desert mule deer.

I.O.N. Doyle is right on with a 154 gr, Hornady RN bullet.
Reaching the lands or even close can only be done with a round nose or bullet longer than 160 grains.

The 7X57 kills better than any of its ballistics says it will do. Just watch your pressure with that older M-93 action.

Hoggy

I believe it to be an excellent choice which is often over looked for the more popular / available rounds. When I wanted to do a new custom barrel for my Encore pistol – custom SSK 16” w/ brake – primarily for deer hunting. I researched this cartridge for nearly 3 months, and then took it one step further to the Ackley Improved version. It has met and exceeded my expectations. I’ve experimented and hunted with Hornady 139-grain SP & Sierra 120 grain pro hunter SP. Each has proven their self both on the range and terminal performance. I run the 120’s at 2880 fs, the 139’s are at 2800 fs. Overall I’m sold on the 120’s out of this cartridge on deer. These are not my max velocities, my “happy medium” [velocity/accuracy]. The terminal performance was excellent. There have been two write-ups in Hand-Loader magazine on the 7x57 in the past year, each were very positive. I think you are going to like it.

Good shooting.

B…

I had one in 7 x 57 in the old Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester.
Was a fine gun and killed a couple deer with it. Wished I'd never sold it. Had a great collection of Pre 64 Model 70's back in the 60's and 70's, 220 Swift, 257 Roberts, 264 Win Mag, 7x57mauser, 308, 30'06, almost had a Hornet one time but the guy sold it to his buddy. Anyway I digress. 7x57 is a very nice caliber to shoot, and one of the rarest in the old Model 70.

Back