Leupold, M1 vs Target

Greyhunter

I am wanting a higher powered scope on the AR platform for target work, spot and stalk coyotes, and a rare PD trip. This scope will not be used for calling or low light shooting. For now it will be on my RRA .223, and I'd like to eventually see it on top of a D-Tech 243WSSM upper. For this application I want to range the target, dial in the come-ups, and make the shot. Time wont be a big factor.

I am trying to decide if the M1 dials (custom shop) are worth the extra money over the standard Target dials, which will be an extra $70 - $120 depending on which model I go with. They both do about the same thing, but there are a couple reasons why I'm leaning towards the M1's. First, when spot and stalking it will be cold and I will be wearing gloves, so the M1 looks easier to manipulate with gloves on due to the design. Second, the M1's dont have a cap to mess with or drop into the snow (I've lost them before). And of course there is the higher CDI factor of the M1's.
Is there a drawback to the M1's? Since the M4 line uses them (Mil spec requirements) I assume they are plenty weather proof when stuffed in the snow?
And does anyone know what the Leupold CDS dials are? They look very low profile but the pic isnt very detailed and I find no specs on them anywhere?

I am also trying to decide between the VX-II 6-18 and the V-3 6.5x20LR, which will put another $250-$350 into the figuring. Brightness isnt so critical for my use, but the extra power and side focus abilities would be nice. Any opinions there?

GH, I just had the CDS elevation turret added to a 3.5-10 VX-III. I am a total rank beginner with turrets, but the low-profile CDS looked like something I could use on a hunting rig. It took Leupold 3 weeks to install and cost $90.

You are correct in saying the CDS turrets are very compact. They stick up only 3/16" to 1/4" more than the standard VX-III adjustment housing. I got to play with it for the first time last weekend and ran it out to 400 yards and everything worked fine. So far I'm impressed and if it allows me to nail those coyotes that want to sit at 400 plus yards and bark I'll give it a whirl.

You might repost this in the firearms forum as several of those guys know this subject inside and out.

Here are some pics of the CDS elevation turret:

Joshrivertrip041.jpg

Joshrivertrip042.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the great photos Lonny, those are much better than what I could find on the Leupold site. It looks like they number every 3rd MOA on the CDS? There are no caps to remove, correct?

I might have to bump this over to firearms like you suggest.
Thanks.

Yep, every third MOA is numbered. My CDS maxes out at 14 MOA with a built in stop, but you can request the Leupold Custom Shop to leave out the stop, if you want more elevation. I can easily get to 700 yards with it as is and that should be more than plently for me.

No caps to remove either.

The CDS looks like a nice system for hunting. I wonder why they cost so much more than the M1's, and why they limit them to one rotation?

Still looking for opinions on Target dials vs M1 dials...

If you want a great scope that optically and mechanically can compete with pretty much most of the scopes out there, I would recommend taking a look at the Clearidge Ultra XP5 4.5-22.5x50. It is a great scope and many people have commented that they can not tell the difference between this scope and their Nightforce NXS, but at a fraction of the cost.

Quote:
If you want a great scope that optically and mechanically can compete with pretty much most of the scopes out there, I would recommend taking a look at the Clearidge Ultra XP5 4.5-22.5x50. It is a great scope and many people have commented that they can not tell the difference between this scope and their Nightforce NXS, but at a fraction of the cost.

So does the Clearidge Ultra have 100 MOA of internal elevation adjustment and 60 MOA for wind? Ultra fine laser etched illuminated reticles? How about ranging reticles other than mil-dot with multiple MOA aiming points? Can I completely trust it to be 100% repeatable when I start cranking 25 to 30 MOA and want to return to zero every time? How about nice crisp turrets? do they have a positive snap when you turn them or are they mushy feeling?

No offense, you can have great glass in a 600 dollar scope, but its everything else that separates the men from the boys.

If they are that good, send me one to test. I can put togather 3 or 4 local PM members with other folks from the range on a saturday to help. I will put it up against the NF NXS, and the BR model, the Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20 and Swarovski AV in 6x18. I will ship it back to you when I am done and do a full write up on it here in the forum.

I dont know about the other guys here, but I would be very interested in reading a write-up and comparison on the Clearidge to some high end scopes.

I like that little turret, Lonny! Was considering one for my VXIII 2.5-8x36 since its quite a bit cheaper than going for another NXS Compact... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
Is it tracking true for you?

Furhunter,

Tracking on the Clearidge scopes has been spot on. In my post I never did say they had the same specifications as the Nightforce, but just that we have had a lot of customers that own both the Ultra XP5 and Nightforce NXS and they have made comments that the Ultra XP5 was very comparable to the Nightforce NXS. I maybe making an assumption here, but I would persume that people that own Nightforce scopes know scopes so the comments are justified.

I have sent you a PM about trying one of the scopes for a few weeks.

Knockemdown, So far so good, but I haven't run it through the all paces and a tracking check yet, but hopefully by the end of summer I'll be dialed. I am a total rank amatuer with using turrets, but so far I've been amazed at how well the system works once you know the range and dial the MOA. I'm learning a lot about the wind thats for sure... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I need to do some more bench work, but I wanted a low-profile turret for a hunting/calling rifle that would allow me something more than a prayer at nailing those coyotes that hang up at 400 plus yards. So far the CDS seems to fit the bill, but time will tell.

Cat, Yes it is. From what I understand though is you can request the Leupold Custom Shop to leave the zero stop out if you want, but just know that the CDS has no graduation marks to tell you what revolution you are on like the M1's for example. For an idiot like me, a zero stop and enough adjustment to get me past 700 yards is fine for a coyote rifle.

Back