Needs some feedback on calibers.

Is a 204 ruger enough different than 223 to justify buying a new rifle for mostly lots of target shooting, lots of coyote huntng and maybe a twice a year prairie dog hunt. I do reload.
personally I do not believe that there is a huge difference in the cals you mention its more of a personal matter
(let me know if you do get a 204 rug I have a set of Forester dies that are just sitting here )
you will however be more versatile with a 223

Quote:
I have 4 .223's and two 243's.. I love them all.. But I do have two .204's too. And I find myself always taking the .204. I love that little round. On really windy days I take the .223 or .243 depending on what I am hunting. But the .204 is a lot different than the .223. Shoots a whole lot flatter. I love mine.

the .204 has far superior wind bucking ability compared to the .223. thats comparing a 40 gn. v-max out of the .204 to a 60 gn. v-max out of the .223 out to 600 yards, at max velocities. in real windy conditions, the .243 is the way to go for sure.

im with grizz whats wrong with the 22-250 ???

i have killed alota yotes with the 250's ive had over the years ...

now that i said that i will say this !

i just ordered a R-25 .243 !!
i like the idea of being able to load 55gr.
all the way up over a 100gr.

i would say its the best all around gun for here in oklahoma !!
cause all i have to hunt here is deer and yotes !!

and its perfect for that !!
i just bought some 65gr v-max im gonna try in my .243
my load data says i can run that 65.gr bullet(out of the .243) at the same speed i run my 55 gr. in my 22-250 !! that outta thump there azz.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

First off this is my perception and opinion.I in no way coming across as being as well educated as some on this forum about bullets and balistics.

I think the recoil of the 250 is close to the 243 with the same bullet, the performance of the 243 is superior, there is a wider bullet selection that can be shot accurately in the 243 "because until recently you could only get a 1-12 or 1-14 in the 250, The 243 in my OPINION does everything the 250 does and it does it better. Now having said that some idiot is gonna say a 25-06 does everything the 243 does and more. My ref is to the 243 and the 250 having SIMILAR case compacity. and both being short action calibers etc. To each his own. I am just not a fan of the 22-250.

Quote:
To each his own. I am just not a fan of the 22-250.

Join the club.........

Everyone i hunt with has a 22-250, and they are great rifles, that being said i DON`T own one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I went with the 22BR,and am VERY happy with that decision...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
....uhhhh..What? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

doesn't even come close. the higher B.C. of the .204 along with an extra 600-700fps has the .204 smokin the .223 all the way around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Sweet....a 204 vs. 223 vs. 22-250 vs. 220Swift vs. 243 thread, it must be almost summer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Somebody should go get the .17 cal guys and get them in on it too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Quote:
I have a 243 22-250 and a 204 and if i had to choose just one to predator hunt with it would be the 204 hands down.

Wow, took the words right out of my mouth. What he said.

Well I am leaning closer to the .204, But I still cant get the .243 or even the 250 out of my mind. UHGGGG! I sound as bad a high school girl trying to make up her mind on which guy to go to the prom with. Sorry guys

Quote:
Sweet....a 204 vs. 223 vs. 22-250 vs. 220Swift vs. 243 thread, it must be almost summer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Somebody should go get the .17 cal guys and get them in on it too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Did you even consider the 17HMR. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mark

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
I have a 243 22-250 and a 204 and if i had to choose just one to predator hunt with it would be the 204 hands down.

Wow, took the words right out of my mouth. What he said.

X 3. The 204 is my favorite. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I still like my 243 when I want to give them yotes a good thumpin from way out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

for what you specified in your original post, you'll love the .204. it's got wicked accuracy potential & it does a real nice job on the yotes.

Back