Leupold rifleman with the ballistics reticle

I was reading their catalog last night and was surprised when I saw it offered in the Rifleman. I have 2 VXlll models with the varmint reticle and they have become favorite scopes.

I was surprised too... I'm torn between that and a VX I which is all I can afford right now. I like the VX I because its possible for them to customize it.

I have the 4-12x40 VX-I with the LR Duplex reticle, it has the ballistic dots. I know it's not the best scope in the world, but it serves its purpose well. I wanted a scope for my AR with no AO since 90% of yote calling would require close quarters and lower magnification, and I also wanted to be able to shoot groundhogs at longer distances with it as well when my .204 wasn't available.

I like the reticle quite a bit, on my AR with my handloads dialed in for 100 yards, the first dot is 250 yards, the second dot is 320 yards. Quality of the glass is OK, but I would not plan on using this scope to dial in elevation. It seems to hold zero well, but dialing isn't as consitent as I would like.

I don't know about the reticle, but can speak highly of the Rifleman series of scopes - they're pretty affordable and are extremely durable. I've dropped mine a couple of times and subjected it to a lot of abuse and it still holds zero like a champ!

That is what I have on my rifle now is a rifleman scope... they are indeed an awesome scope but the only thing I would change is the duplex recticle. Thanks Rick for your input about the VX 1 that is good to know.

The Duplex reticle on the 4-12x Rifleman would probably be a great system itself for long-range. At 12x it measures 5.4 minutes of angle to the lower post tip (from x-hair) and with a 200 yd. zero should net you 400-450 yds. of compensation. The LR reticle sounds nice but if u already have the Duplex in the Rifleman it should perform pretty well as a 1-stadia ballistic reticle.

Back