.243" 105 gr Hornady AMAX on coyotes?

RoughNeck

Hey guys, new poster to the forum here... Was wondering if any of you guys have tried the 105 grain Hornady AMAX on coyotes at different ranges? I've heard elsewhere that it will expand on a coyote but I thought I'd ask the experts here before I put it to use since it is intended as a match bullet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Otherwise, any suggestions on a good target/coyote bullet for the .243Win? I'm wanting to work up a single load that I can use for both in my new Rem 700 SPS Varmint, and if the AMAX shoots well and is going to expand reliably it sounds like the ticket (.500 BC)! I'll be loading some over various powders and trying out the rifle for the first time this weekend so we'll see how they/it shoots! Thanks for any input here!

The 105's shoot very well, especially with 48.5 grains of Retumbo. You will not beat that powder with that bullet.

On the down side, I've had mixed results on groundhogs with this bullet, especially as range increases. It's not an explosive varmint style round. If you gut shoot something, it's likely going to keep moving... at least for a while.

But accuracy-wise (with the Retumbo), it's a winner.

40.7 grains of IMR 4831 works well also. I think I'd use a magnum primer with the low density 40.7 grains charge (for more consistent ignition), and definitely use a magnum primer with the 48.5 grain Retumbo charge. My ES went down a lot when I went to the CCI 250 with that load.

edit... see next post.

Last edited:
board is goofing up... sorry, no photos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

..okay I'll try again...

1062yds.jpg

105AMAXat340yards.jpg

Last edited:
Lol I guess you are the Dan that has the website about OCW? Edit: Obviously, it's in your sig! Sorry, wasn't paying attention there... Anyway I read your site with great interest a while back (before I even got my 700 in) and planned to use that load first, in fact I starting loading them last night, working up to your 48.5 load from the hodgdon recommended starting load of 46 so I can shoot them this weekend. Small world! I also have IMR 4350, RL-15 and H4895 (made some low power loads for my gf with it as per the hodgdon 60% rule)... Any luck/advice for charge weights with those powders and the .243?

Thanks for the info btw!

Last edited:
Hey Dan- Do you think that Retumbo load would work in my 243AI? I shoot mainly Bergers, 90, 95 VLD, 105. Never used the Retumbo, mainly H-4350.

Pyscodog

The Retumbo would definitely work well in the .243 AI, but I don't know what charges to suggest.

The Retumbo seems to really maximize the velocity (over other powders I've tried).

Dan

Great target bullet for a mass production bullet. It will expand drastically on coyotes. I have blown a few critters almost in half with them.

I am using RL22 in my 6AI

Nodak

Last edited:
Well so far not much luck with the AMAX and Retumbo, WLRM primers, full length resized (Lee die) Winchester brass and seated to the listed min length of 2.710" which is also the max OAL for this cartridge. The best group (which was the OCW loading of 48.5 grains) was about 4.5 inches at 100 yards. Some Remington factory 80 grain loads I bought to sight-in the scope grouped about a .75 inch 4 round group and 100 grain Speer softpoints grouped about 2 inches over 31 grains of H4895 so I know the gun can do better. I'm not an experienced reloader so my reloading practices may have caused alot of runout and I don't have a concentricity guage yet. I will retry the loads with different seating (and some other powders, but I was really hoping to use the Retumbo because I have a stockpile of it), I was thinking 0.010" from the lands and move to deeper seating from there, any advice on this procedure? Also, now that the cases are 'fire-formed' the next batch will be using the Lee collet neck sizing die. Any advice for my next batch would be greatly appreciated!

Hornady claims the 105 AMAX will work in a 1:9.25 barrel, but it may not work in every stock barrel.

I have never tried the 105's in a nine twist... all I can say is they work very well in my Douglas 8 twist.

In my opinion, for a 9.25 twist, which is what Remington is using I believe, you might want to check out the 87 grain VMAX, which has a true BC of .400 (better than the Nosler 95 grain Ballistic Tip)... and push it with some 4350 up to around 3200 fps, which shouldn't be a problem. Such a load would even go to 1000 yards without a lot of trouble.

The 87 VMAX would be devastating on dogs, even at extreme ranges.

Sorry things aren't working out with the 105's.

Dan

Quote:
Hey Dan- Do you think that Retumbo load would work in my 243AI? I shoot mainly Bergers, 90, 95 VLD, 105. Never used the Retumbo, mainly H-4350.

Pyscodog

Hodgdon Hybrid 100 works great in the 243AI with the 105 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back