Krowtan 2000 problems

Chappy_21805

I have used krowtann 2000 3 times now and have followed he intructions exact. I've done a badger, and 2 coons and they all came up pretty stiff. Is there anything i could do different, i have stretched them and worked them, the only other thing i could think of was to apply some neetsfoot oil or something, but i'm not for sure, any suggestions would be appreciated. Or is there a different tanning solution that would work even better that doesn't discolor the fur yellow or brown?

Since you live in Idaho and there's quite a bit of work involved in properly tanning a pelt, why don't you just send them to Moyle's Tannery in Twin Falls? They do a dang good job and the prices are more than fair.

If you want to do it yourself, the proper method involves a pickling solution prior to placing it into the tanning bath and then you have to break the skin down, oil it, break it down some more, etc. until you get it as soft as you want. Alot of elbow grease involved. Those quick tan products are OK if you just want to hang it on the wall for display, but if you want a soft pelt.....see above.

Thanks a alot! Its just something new that i'm doing the past year and a half and would like to eventually do it for a little side cash. I just want to do rug mounts and tanning thats it, plus i like the challenge of learning something new.

Chappy, I just started using Krotann also! I read over on taxidermy.net forums to oil them after tanning. Then proceed in breaking the hide. I only have done 1 coyote with it and it turned out good! I used super soft oil and put it in the fridge for a week then broke it as it dried. Worked good, its not tannery soft but for just hanging on a wall or rug mounts it is just fine

I recently tanned a black coyote with Krowtann, came out pretty nice. The face and legs are a little stiff but everything else is nice and soft. I degreased in Super Solvent, tanned in Krow, then broke with Rittel's super soft. I'm sure the tannery could do better but I'm quite happy with the results.
One tip with Krow, follow the neutralization to the letter. If not enough, it will be stiff. Too much could cause slippage. Take care

Do you guys use just regular Baking Soda for the neutralization process? I don't know where to get sodium bicarbinate around here and i don't really want to get anything off the net if i don't have to, know what i mean?

All you need is regular baking soda.If you want a skin soft you really need to send to a pro tannery.So much easier to just flesh and turn ,salt and send it in with superior results.You will never reach tannery level at home! Just a fact.Krowtann and similar products were realy meant for mounting animals not for soft tanning.Tanneries also shave the skins thinner which helps alot.

Krowtann was originally developed for the taxidermy industry where a midly shrunk and rigid hide is desirable. That way, it pulls to the contour of the form being used and, even when the adhesives don't work fully, the hide will dry to and maintain the desired shape.

If you want a soft, flexible hide that can be shaken around, hanged on the wall, or what not, it really is easier to use a professional tannery and well worth the cost. All you have to do is skin, remove any fat and meat, turn the lips, ears and eyelids, then salt twice (24 hours apart and let it sit under the second round until no longer wet, but still flexible enough to roll up loosely and place in a milk crate or other container that allows air flow and is about the size your shipping box will be), then let sit and dry until totally dry and hard as a rock.

I've used a number of tanneries over the years and it's relatively easy to shop around for a good one. In case you're interested, I use K&K Tannery in Jonesville, MI and they have been superior in quality to everyone else with whom I have experience.

http://www.kandktannery.com/

sodium bicarbonate is baking soda, don't know why they put both in the directions. I use regular baking soda, I even buy the generic kind at Walmart. This topic is all over taxidermy.net.
I agree with the posts above about the professional tannery, you'll get a much better product. However, small furbearers up to coyote size can be done with Krowtann and have pretty good results.

Back