Should I keep the Large Rifle Primers Federal 210

rickyb

OK, I just stopped by the gun shop and they had several cases of primers. I grabbed a 1,000 for my 7MM STW and headed out the door. After getting back to the office and looking at my reloading book it shows Federal 215, which is probably their magnum primer. Should I take these back or will the STW shoot these primers. Thanks Rick

if they'll take them back, Do it. You have nothing to lose but a little time. Many places won't take primers or powder back and you might be stuck with them or try to sell them to someone else. Personally, I would not be hesitant to at least try the standard primers if I was stuck with them. I have no experience with the STW but I'm speaking in general.

When I had my .300 WM Rem Sendero I loaded 67grs of IMR-4350 behind a 168 SMK and used Federal 210 Match primers, excellent load. Not quite a 7 STW though.

Ole

FWIW,
My 7mm Mag shoots it's best groups with Fed 210M primers, H-4831SC and 150 grain Nosler Partitions.
Never had a problem with ignition, or unburned powder.
If I were U, I would just test some in the 7 STW to see how they work. Can't hurt anything.

Martyn

When the Reloader series of powders came in, obviously there was no published data in the common reloading manuals, so Alliant had their own sheet with each can. I found it interesting that they stated that magnum primers are not required, nor recommended, with their Reloader powders. Now, twenty years or so later, all the manuals tend to list magnum primers for the large case capacity rounds, for all the powders, and all seems to work well. But, since you have the 210's, I'd work up my loads with some Re-22, or maybe Re-25, depending on your bullet weight, and expect it to work just fine.

Guys that let me exhange them for 205 SRP which I did. This was a box of 1,000 and I would rather try my experimentation with a box of 100. These primers are 39.99 a 1,000 and Ft. Thompson in N. Little Rock, AR. has a huge supply of 205 and 210 primers. Thanks for the response. Rick

Back