H414 "best kept secret"?

"Best kept secret"?

Not anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I use it in my .243 AI with excellent results. Good velocity, meters well, doesn't seem to burn real dirty, and is accurate in my rifle.

So far it's the best powder I've found for my Swift but I have to disagree that it isn't a "dirty" powder.

Since it's a Ball powder I thought it might be temperature sensitive but I've spoken to some guys at a local gunshop and they say because it's a slow burning powder they haven't had any problems. Since it seems fairly easy to obtain in the tough times I may use it until the other powders are back on the market.

Pk1, it doesn't seem to burn dirty in my rifle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I may think that it isn't dirty a powder possibly because my custom barrel is easier to clean than all the others that I've tried.. That was just my experiance.

Works great for the heavies in the 22 caliber. If you are burning dirty then back off a couple of grains and go to a magnum primer. Tom.

Ive used H414 in my .220 Swift, 30-06 & .243 since 1976.
My pal who has 2 Ruger .220 Swifts uses nothing but W760.

I use win 760 in several calibers and it works great for me. I would not, however, recommend it to anyone else to try because I'm afraid they might like it and then I won't be able to find it as easily as I can now. the last thing I need is another scarce component that I like. So, It is a dirty burning powder that meters horribly and is not very good for accuracy either since it is very temperature sensitive and picky with load variations.

As you get closer to the max load for your rifle, H414, 760, and h380 will burn cleaner.

I shot cases of it on p. dogs. It sure is easier on barrels than IMR 4064 which is what we used to use. I and partner used CCI-250's. AA2700 is very close to this burning rate and meters even better than 414 or 760.

Took me 30 years to try it in a .220 Swift. Now it is my number one powder for that round. I really dont recall anything giving me shot to shot accuracy that H414 does. I admit that have not tried every powder that there is available for the Swift, but when you find a load that shoots 1/4" to 1/2" groups at 100 yards day in and day out, it is a load to stick with.

On advice from DAA I started using H414 to work up loads for my custom 22-250 A.I. with 55 Nosler BT's and groups have been amazing. I bought 4 more pounds of it from a friend. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when cleaning. I think I have the four G's; Good Groups, Good Velocity, Good Grief, Good Powder!!!

H-414 is THE powder for my 7x57 rifles, and 140 grain Nosler Partitions.
I don't even test different powders now when working up loads for a new 7x57, I go straight to H-414.
It also shoots best in a 250 Savage I have.
Good stuff.

Martyn

Quote:
As you get closer to the max load for your rifle, H414, 760, and h380 will burn cleaner.

I shot cases of it on p. dogs. It sure is easier on barrels than IMR 4064 which is what we used to use. I and partner used CCI-250's. AA2700 is very close to this burning rate and meters even better than 414 or 760.

I'm at max right now. I like the idea of maybe using a magnum primer. I can't remember which one, maybe Speer, recommends a mag primer for the Swift. If I ever again see a magnum primer I may try it.

I ordered two lbs of AA2700 from Midway and am paying a super premium price for it. It's supposed to be a good Swift powder but now I've heard it's temp sensitive. Any input?

I use the 414 in my 270 wsm and I have the same poi in summer and winter. I have absolutely no complaints with this powder. I was thinking of switching to rl9 just so I can try some 110gr bullets but have a hard time leaving my 414

kyle

Quote:
I use the 414 in my 270 wsm and I have the same poi in summer and winter. I have absolutely no complaints with this powder. I was thinking of switching to rl9 just so I can try some 110gr bullets but have a hard time leaving my 414

kyle

I've been wondering about the temperature issue with H-414 as there are guys who state that it is sensitive to temperature changes. I've never done any testing of it in Summer, then Winter to see if the POI changes.
I appreciate reading what you say about that point.
Thank you,

Martyn

Here is a group I shot on Saturdat at 100 yards. It is a 5 shot group from a 1in8 22-250 with H-414 and a 75 grain A-Max. Tom.

IMG_0592.jpg

From what I've observed H414 is temp sensitive. My first trip to the range was on a day in the mid 50's and everything was okay. Last week I loaded some more and went to the range on a day in the low 80's. The bolt was hard to open after firing a round. Velocities were good and point of impact was very close if not identical so I'm going to back it off and try again. Days are warming up so I'll get a better picture of what's going on.

Back