Ultimate calling rifle build

Nelson

Looking to put together an (semi-custom) ultimate calling rifle for coyotes during the off season. Predominately to be used in the sage country of E. Washington. Here are some of the mandatory parameters.

- Remington action
- Sporter weight barrel
- Caliber good to 300+ yards, prefer light recoil to observe impact. (17fb, 221fb, 204 ruger, 223 rem, or others,) No wildcats please
- Camo finish, could be dipped or a custom stock with coated metal.
- optics, prefer leupold or nikon

Would appreciate some input to get the project started.

Thanks, Nelson

if its gonna be primarally a coyote gun, i'd say a .243 with a good 3x9-4x12. sound like you've already got most bases covered

i would build it in 22-250, but if you really want a smaller lighter recoiling caliber i would go w/ a fast twist (1:8 or 1:9) .223. that way you could shoot the heavier bullets say 60 grainers.

A 21-22" 1-8"twist 223/223AI/22-250 would be what I would do. It would give you the flexibility for the 75Amax and would still shoot any of the light weight bullets. My 1-8"twist 22-250 would even shoot the little 40gr Vmax in to little groups.

I agree with the last 2 posters, a fast twist .223 would be good and salt it with a little "Ackley Improved" and I think you would win the Blue ribbon.

Chupa

Any of the ones already mentioned would work fine. I just happen to be partial to the .204. With a 24" barrel and using 35 or 40 grain Bergers, 300 to 400 yard shots should be no problem. I shoot 2 different .204's, both CZ's, the 527 American and the 527 Varmint and I couldn't be happier with the results I've had with both of them. But I understand the itch to build a custom gun too. I have 3 different 700's that I've had built and love them all. One happens to be a .17 MK IV that I plan on using on coyotes this next season but the max range for it is about 250 yards. The 25 grain bullet just runs out of gas beyond that. I have another .17 caliber Shilen match barrel that I plan on having chambered in .17 Remington so that's also an option. Lots of good choices, but if you're max range is 300+ I'd stay away from the .221 FB or any of its offspring. 300 yards might be stretching their maximum range capabilities.

I just finished up my "what I always wanted, but never found" rifle. It started with a squared Remington 700 SA. I had a 20", #1 contour Douglas XX air gauged barrel chambered in 223 Remington with a 1-8 twist installed. A Mark Bansner High Tech Specialties SA Sheep Hunter stock was next. Lastly, I just finished (today) spraying the barreled action with DuraCoat SL in Vltor Black. It will wear a Denver model 3-9x42 Redfield Widefield Illuminator with AccuTrac rangefinder.
I also made some mods to the trigger, bolt and a few other things. Now I have to let the DuraCoat cure for a while. MI VHNTR

IMG_0381.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I really like my Howa Axiom also

Ten twist .204 from any of the better barrel makers. Put a Leupold VX-7 2.5-10X in QRW mounts on it so you can mount up a higher magnification scope for rockchucks in the spring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifPut an aftermarket bottom metal kit with a detachable magazine on it. Complete dip in King's Desert Shadow and you're good to go. Send pictures! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
I just finished up my "what I always wanted, but never found" rifle. It started with a squared Remington 700 SA. I had a 20", #1 contour Douglas XX air gauged barrel chambered in 223 Remington with a 1-8 twist installed. A Mark Bansner High Tech Specialties SA Sheep Hunter stock was next. Lastly, I just finished (today) spraying the barreled action with DuraCoat SL in Vltor Black. It will wear a Denver model 3-9x42 Redfield Widefield Illuminator with AccuTrac rangefinder.
I also made some mods to the trigger, bolt and a few other things. Now I have to let the DuraCoat cure for a while. MI VHNTR

Post some pictures when you get it all together. That sounds like a well thought out rifle to me!!!!

Quote:
Ten twist .204 from any of the better barrel makers. Put a Leupold VX-7 2.5-10X in QRW mounts on it so you can mount up a higher magnification scope for rockchucks in the spring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifPut an aftermarket bottom metal kit with a detachable magazine on it. Complete dip in King's Desert Shadow and you're good to go. Send pictures! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HOW_AxiomCamo.jpg

Like this?

Cruddy picture of a great calling rifle.

Fully trued Remington 700 SA BDL
Stainless Pac-Nor 3-groove 1/10 barrel in .17 Remington finished at 23.5" and same contour as a factory sporter
B&C 700 Alaskan Ti take-off stock with full length aluminum bedding block
Leupold VXII 3-9x40mm in Talley LW's
Put together by Brad Stair of Wasatch Performance Guns, who also Moly-Teflon coated the works.

Only thing I'd change if starting from scratch is I'd go with a 1/9 twist barrel, but I pretty much stole this rifle and it shoots factory Remington 25gr HP's into such tiny groups, I ain't changing a thing!

rem.jpg

In Wa. you do have more than a few lions. Also bears will come to the call on occasion.

I'd get a Rem 700 SPS stainless in 243 and be done with it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a deer rifle as a primary coyote rifle. I killed a lot of yotes with a Rem 700 in 270 Win Caliber shooting the 90-100g HP which grenade a coyote.

If you save hides, the Hornady 100g BTSP is fur friendly in the 243, and in the 270, the 130g Bullets proved fur friendly.

Good luck!

If you don't save hides I would get the same gun in .243 but if you are interested in hides get the .223.

Here's what I am gonna get when I can afford it...

Rem 700 SA
.223 Rem and/or AI
1:8or9 twist Med Contour 20-22 inch Fluted Barrel
B&C Stock/with a Detachable Magazine
Timney trigger or well adjusted x-mark/anything that gives a crisp 2.5-3 lbs
A fluted bolt (to match the fluted barrel) a bigger but not full sized tactical bolt knob.
Leupold VX-III 4-14x40
All dipped in Mossy Oak Brush Camo

This rig shooting 60gr V-Maxes @3000 fps will smack the crap out of the cats & coyotes with little or no fur damage....( I am already dreamin/druling and now I am wishin I had an extra $3000 layin around to build me one).

Since you listed Ultimate and seeing impact, IMO that rules out about everything bigger than a 223 for a light rifle.

1. Get a BAT, Stiller, or other premium action. A fully trued Rem 700 will work fine but the others are just more ultimate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Then you need a premium barrel. Pac-nor, Shilen, Lilja, Lothar Walther, Douglas, etc...

3. Get a McMillan McSwirley stock, in the Sako 75 sporter pattern.

4.. Great smith with a great reamer to put it all together.

5. Chamber in 17 Rem, 204, perhaps 223 or 223Improved.

6. Put some top notch glass on it. Zeiss, Leupold, Sworofski (spelling), Kahles... Add good solid rings

And go forth and kill schtuff.

Maybe thinking outside the box here, but I'd consider a slow twist .243 for shooting light 55-65gr bullets. 24" barrel. A .243 can get a 55NBT or 60gr Sierra HP going 4000+fps easy...wicked flat trajectory out to 350yds!

Want less recoil and powder consumption? I'd go with Ducksoups' recommendation, .204 Ruger, 24", 10 twist, pushing 35 or 40gr Bergers...

Calling rifles need to be SIMPLE, IMHO. A flat shooting caliber/bullet combo that one can 'hold on fur and squeeze' is such a blessing on stand...

I'd build it just like Buster's .17REM (NICE rig!)
But it would have a NXS 2.5-10 on top... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am completely happy with my Tikka T3 Lite stainless in .223. Yes, I know it is a long action, but that has never bothered me in the least. It has an 8 twist tube on it and there is not much it will not shoot really well. It now wears a 4x12 leupold and a "custom" krylon job. I could not be happier with it. It balances perrfectly, carries light and has been such a solid performer that it inspires confidence.

Everyone has their own idea of "ultimate" but in a light caliber gun, I will stick with what I have.

That being said, I may just rebarrel my Tikka T3 .243 into a 6mm Rem just because.......

Back