R-15 Choice?

duckstopper

I've decided to buy a Rem.-15 in .223 for my first AR type gun. I'm partial to the carbine model with 18" barrel, but can pick up a Varminter model with 24" barrel right now instead of waiting for the carbine. Anybody care to weigh in with thoughts of which R-15 I should get?

I have the 18" Carbine, it is very light and easy to carry for a calling gun and it will shoot as good as the longer barrels, so it depends on what you are going to use it for. This might give you a Idea of what they can do if you do your home work.

targets007.jpg

You need to let us know what you are going to use it for.

Bench gun or P-dogs, get the 24"

Calling gun for walking a lot, get the 18".

I have the 18" and really like it. In fact, if I ever see another for what I paid for mine I may just get another. I also have a DPMS 16" bull barrel to compare to. The DPMS is much heavier than the R-15. I haven't shot the DPMS yet though.

+1 on the 18 incher. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

It is very light and handy. I think it has the perfect handling characteristics for a calling gun.

+2 on the 18" carbine I have that rifle and my buddy has the 18" collapsible stock model they are both shooters.

Thanks guys. I want it for a calling gun and would rather carry the lightest one possible. I've had one on order for two months from one dealer, but yesterday I found the 24" in stock at another dealer. I think I'll keep looking for an 18".

yup... 18" Collapsible stock... sweet shooter, my favorite gun at this point, deadly accurate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

ill put a vote in on the 18" CS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
its defiantly a shooter!

there is a pic of min in my sig VV

I must be an oddball. I preferred and bought the 22 incher. It's still the lightest AR out there and, in my opinion, balances better than the shorter barreled version. Of course, I generally like longer barrels on rifles. I shoot a 26" .338 and don't find it to be a handicap. I like pushing that muzzleblast/flash out there a little farther.

Quote:
I must be an oddball. I preferred and bought the 22 incher.

Everyone has their own tastes and preferences. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

To be honest i wanted the 22" barrel as well but just my luck they only had the 22" in .204 when i got it. At the time it was real hard to find .204s in my lil town and i would have rather had the .223. Once i grabbed that 18" with the collapsible stock it was over, and i grabbed it up with the quickness. I love the fit and feel, balance for me is perfect! To each their own!

I love my 18" CS. I have absolutely no complaints. After lugging around my old 20" heavy barrel AR, this this is easy to carry and fast tracking. Just got back from shooting some clay pigeons at over 200 yards without any problems and couldn't ask for any more out of it!

I am also a fan of the 18" AR with the CS. Its perfect for an all day carry or long distance.
I also have an RRA PP with a 20" bbl and I dont have an issue walking 6 miles round trip in my p-dog fields.

Quote:
I have the 18" Carbine, it is very light and easy to carry for a calling gun and it will shoot as good as the longer barrels, so it depends on what you are going to use it for. This might give you a Idea of what they can do if you do your home work.

targets007.jpg

What distance was this and how many shots (5)?

Back