How often do you hunt same spot ?

TripleDeuce660

Well I got this spot loaded with coyote. Its about 1/2 mile wide 1 mile long maybe slightly bigger. I called it for the first time last week saw three shot 1.

I want to eliminate all the coyote I can at this spot to help the rabbit population. How often should I hunt this spot?

I'm thinking once a week thru the month of may might be ok. possibly into early june after that its just too dang hot until next novemeber. I can only call about half of the area in a morning, maybe less. Its so hilly sound doesn't travel too far.

I just don't want to educate all the dogs out there and ruin the spot.

I would say once a week max, or just on good days. Just dont use up your arsenal too quickly, if you thing they are gettin smart, change tactics / sounds, hit different times of the day as well. Good luck.

I've got enough places to hunt that If I want to, I can go a month or more without hunting the same place.

From what you describe...1/2 mile X 1 mile...at least here in the Midwest we call that a "half-section".
IMO, & that's all it is, since I can't see the terrain, personally I'd only hunt it every-other week. And even doing that, I'd change tactics/sounds/& stand location every time.
That may be overkill, but that's what I would do.

You say you wish to "eliminate all that's possible in that location. May work, may not.
You may think you have them all, because you don't find one. But they just may be in another part of their territory.
Or a new coyote will move in.

Last edited:
hunt it and wait 2 weeks then go again, change sound , keep em guessing and dont do same series of sounds every time

ABOUT EVERY OTHER WEEK AND LIKE THE OTHERS WERE SAYING CHANGE UP YOUR SOUNDS AND THE WAY THAT YOU APPROACH THE AREA GOOD LUCK

I have hunted the same spot in the morning and then in the evening and have killed 2 coyotes on the same stand. I would hit it whenever you can, morning noon night, today tommorow, you can wait a day or two, week or two but the thing is, coyotes make a living in there established territory, if you are calling when they are withing earshot you will probably see them, but if ther territory is 50 square miles, you will be lucky to hit them at the right time. And if other coyotes crash the party all the better. I call a spot based on if Im close, and if I think I stand a chance of calling one at the time im there. If I educate or spook a coyote, I will change tactics to mix it up. Get after em. Al.

If you keep hunting the same locations through the years you will have a stash of certain stands that will give you results more often then not, I have quite a few that I'm real confident in seeing something when I sit down and start calling due to their history. During the season I hunt them real frequent.

I really don't think your efforts to thin out the coyotes will have much impact on rabbit populations...mother nature has way more control over that.

If you want to help the Rabbits kill the Hawks. They get as much are more than the Coyotes. Killing Hawks most likely is not legal.

Quote:
If you want to help the Rabbits kill the Hawks. They get as much are more than the Coyotes. Killing Hawks most likely is not legal.

from what I have been told shootin hawks is illegal cuz they are protected birds.Like I said thats what I have been told. I didn't do any research on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif .So if anyone could shine some light on that subject /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would never shoot a hawk, maybe one of those stupid california condors though haha.

Your average coyote can eat 150 rabbits a year. I think eliminating some has got to be helpful.

Quote:
Quote:

from what I have been told shootin hawks is illegal cuz they are protected birds.Like I said thats what I have been told. I didn't do any research on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif .So if anyone could shine some light on that subject /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You are correct: Hawks are federally proteced raptors. Killing them is punishable by fines and/or imprisionment. It is a BIG deal to even bother one.

Back