700 Remington 22-250 SPS Varmint

flyrodder

I'm thinking about getting a new Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 22-250. Just wondering if anyone had one and what you thought of it. Are you satisfied with it's accuracy? Dick's has one with a 3X9 Remington scope? for 599.99. Said they could order one without the scope for 529.99. It has a sort of OD green stock. Give me your opinions please.They had it in .223 also for the same price.
Thanks, Flyrodder

I have a buddy who has one and I had it for a while for some load development. It shot great, well under MOA. It really likes Hornady 52 BTHPs and 50gr Sierra Bks with Varget. Both around 3500 fps. I was impressed with this rifle and like the x-mark trigger. $529.99 is a pretty good price too. I think I am going to get one in .243

Me and my buddy bought these rifles at the same time while they were on sale at bass pro (Think it was $475?) mine is in .223 and my buddies is in .22-250. Mine shot pretty good out of the box, but not as good as i was hoping, i replaced the stock shortly after i bought it with a bell and carlson medalist varmint stock and it shoots 1 hole groups at 100 yards with factory loaded ammo now. My buddy ended up replacing his factory stock with a hogue takeoff from a remmy 700 tactical and it shoots pretty well. keep in mind these are "varmint" rifles so the twist rate is in favor of lighter bullets. mine has a 1 in 12" twist and loves 40 grain hornady v-max's.

I have one. It shoots great. Usually around 0.5 MOA with whatever you wan to feed it. Sometimes it does even better than that. When I was sighting it in the first time, there was a guy spotting for me. I shot a three shot group and he was swearing that I had missed the paper completely with the second and third shots. Ended up being one very small clover leaf hole.

The only modification that I made to mine was to adjust the trigger a bit. Other than that it is completely stock.

Mine has the black stock instead of the green one, not that it should matter.

Last edited:
I didn't ask the guy at Dick's if the green stock was special for their stores. I haven't seen that color for the SPS Varmint in Remington's catalog. Just the black one.
Thanks for the replies.
Flyrodder

I have one in 22-250 with the Remington 4-12 scope. Shoots great, .5" at 100yd with factory remington soft points in 55gr (only ones I could find). I think with some load development and a new stock it is very capable of cutting that down, maybe even in half. Very happy with the gun but do plan on upgrading the scope and stock, but for now it still probably shoots better than me. Xmark trigger is great, it was heavy when I got it but no creep, a twist of an allen wrench brought it down to about 3lbs. Coulda gone lower but didn't want it too light with a gloved finger. I would say skip the Remmy scope, mine is working fine so far but I would prefer to get just the rifle and then add a scope that you prefer. The Remmy scopes aren't real high quality, and if you save that $70 and add another $50 to it you should be able to find yourself a very clear, reliable scope in that magnification range.... Something like a Nikon maybe. I got mine because money was tight and I found it barely used, not even a box through it, and it was cheap. Great gun for the money, get it! PS - idk if this is true or not but in my limited experience it seems to be, I read an article that suggested the 22-250 is not near as picky on loads/bullets as the .223. Unless you are going to be doing alot of shooting, like pdogs, and don't reload, I would go for the 22-250. You gain a little effective range, flatter trajectory, and possible ease of load development. Downside is higher cost of shooting, less barrel life, and slightly more recoil. Recoil shouldn't be an issue unless a young shooter or possibly a recoil shy woman is shooting it.

goose boy: I think I wrote down the wrong scope size. I think it was a 4X12. Old age makes me do things like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Does your 700 have the green stock or have you seen that one? It has 3 vent slots on each side of the forearm.
Flyrodder

I also have one in .223 and love it.

It has shot really well straight out of the box. I added a good scope (want a better one with illuminated recticle), a bipod and a sling and I was ready to go!

I have had mine for 2 year`s and its a keeper.I did replace the scope with a NCStar.Very happy.22-250 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

marshmellow: Did your 700SPS with the green stock come with the Remington 4X12 scope? All the scope less ones I've seen are black. I was wanting the green stocked 700SPS without the Remington scope.
Thanks for all the replies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Flyrodder

Quote:
marshmellow: Did your 700SPS with the green stock come with the Remington 4X12 scope? All the scope less ones I've seen are black. I was wanting the green stocked 700SPS without the Remington scope.
Thanks for all the replies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Flyrodder

Dicks Sporting Goods seems to the be only outlet selling the green stocked version. I think an employee told me it was something special Dicks set up with Remington.

My prairie doggin buddy shoots one in 22-250 with the crappy green stock and green plastic strap. Not wild about the stock or the strap but it shoots. White box Winchesters, my handloads whatever we feed it, its hxll on prairie dogs. His still has the Remington/mystery third world/whatever scope on it in 4x12 which actually was amazingly easy to sight in and stays adjusted day in and day out. Not sure where he bought it, I only got to play with it when it needed ammo or sighted in. For bench shootin dogs its great but for a carrying rifle its pretty heavy with the varmint contour barrel.

Quote:
Quote:
Flyrodder

Dicks Sporting Goods seems to the be only outlet selling the green stocked version. I think an employee told me it was something special Dicks set up with Remington.

That's what I wanted to know.
Thanks everyone for all the info.
Flyrodder

Flyrodder - mine is black stocked but the only difference is color. Krylon fixes that! Think you're very well off to go without the Rem scope, that money could be very well invested in a different scope. It is a bit heavy for a walking rifle with the varmint barrel like SKB said, but I'm still young and dumb enough to do it. With a good sling, or even a mediocre one, it doesn't bother me much.

I included this is in another thread but thought it appropriate here as well. Kinda gives you an idea of how my buddys SPS performs out on the pasture.......

".....saw my first split. This is the scenario. Large mound 280 yds. out, little pds stacked on top of it just like bowling pins, my buddy "has the solution" with his Remington SPS 22-250 and a 50 gr. Vmax, catches the front dog slightly off center at mid body, clears the middle of the mound with little bodies flying out the back of the mound, leaves the #7 and #10 dogs standing. In bowling it would have been a split with a tough pick up to a spare. In prairie dog shooting world it was a classic. I could only guess there were four to five possible deaths maybe more."

Last edited:
Quote:
Flyrodder

YES mine came with the scope, junked the scope and straped on a burris signature scope. I have found the SPS varmint at local gun shows new in the box with the green stock-less the scope. sorry for the late reply

Back