Which bedding kit?

Rick James

So I've got a nearly new 12fv project in .204 that I got for an absolute steal.

Just got a Duramaxx stock for it, and like everyone else says about these stocks....the gun sits crooked in it, and I'm sure has uneven contact on the action as well. I'd like to bed it, and I'm a DIY kinda guy.........

This will be my first attempt at bedding an action. I'll likely do a practice run on the crap factory stock, and then when I get it right and feel confident....do it again on the Duramaxx.

What bedding kit should I be looking to use for this? What is best?

Last edited:
Quote:
brownells accraglass gel kit

That's what I use. You'll also need a stick of modeling clay, a couple of small, cheap artist's paintbrushes and a roll of blue 3M painter's tape.

Devcon epoxy steel( paste, not liquid) or gray Marine Tex work very well, and are much better than acraglas. The Kiwi neutral works well as does Johnson's paste wax. I personally like and use Synlube 1000, but it's not something you can run down to the local hardware store and pick up.
Make sure you wrap some tape around the barrel to fit the barrel channel a couple inches from the end of the forearm. This will keep the barrel centered in the stock.
Good luck!
F1

I just did a rifle with Accraglass Gel with no problems. Used O rings on the barrel to center it in the channel. The next one I will use clamps or surgical tubing instead of action screws.

Quote:
Devcon and marine-tex are harder than acraglas

Ah, okay, I see. I used Accraglas on my 10-22, first bedding job I've done. It seems to be working just great, but there's really no recoil to worry about.

Being harder, isn't there more chance of it cracking (especially in the thin spots) or is that something that's just not going to happen? I'm thinking of bedding my .308 next.
Thanks for educating me on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

JB, I know some of the wonder expoxies, filler, putty, etc. meet milspec for repairs. Does the Devcon or Marine Tex meet these stringent requirements?

Devcon is good. It's what I have been using for the last 10 yrs. I don't like the Accraglas, but Brownells Steel Bedding is good.

I have also used the Marine Tex with good results and Micro Bedding.

Quote:
Quote:
and are much better than acraglas

Why do you say that? Not saying they aren't, just wondering why.

====================================================
As already stated, they are harder, but also shrink less. In my opinion, they are also easier to work with... they tend to stay where you put them better than Acraglas, which tends to be less viscuous(runny). Both the Devcon and Marine Tex have metal fillers in them, where the Acraglas has the fiberglass floc that you mix in.
I still own a couple rifles that I bedded with Acraglas in the late '60's, and the bedding is holding up fine, but I've seen Acraglas "sugar"(crumble) over the years on some rifles that other's had bedded. That was probably due to incorrect mixing or too low temperature while curing, would be my best guess.
What made a believer out of me for Marine Tex, was I saw a mechanic do a "temporary" repair to a cracked and probably warped head on a J&T 671 TI and it lasted the whole season in an offshore charter boat!!
F1

Quote:
where the Acraglas has the fiberglass floc that you mix in.

Okay, I bought an Acraglas gel kit about 6 months ago, and they've changed it, apparently. It's now 2-part and I didn't mix in any fiberglas floc. It wasn't at all runny. I think they've changed over to epoxy. It got very hard, it just took a week to cure fully.
It's a light orange color before you add the dye they include.
I think we're talking two different things (old and new formula) here.
I've used Devcon before (not for bedding) and it's actually more runny than the new Acraglas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Acraglas "gel"(green box) is different from the regular acraglas(red box). It's easier to work with, but has nowhere near the hardness or tensile strength of Devcon epoxy steel(aluminum or titanium, either) or gray Marine Tex.
Lots of folks use the acraglas products with good results, as I have in years past, but there are better performing products on the market, IMHO, and I choose to use Devcon, Marine Tex, Bisonite, etc..YMMV.
Gook luck with your project, and post some pics!
F1

Got it. I'll try some Devcon when I do the .308, sounds like it's more suited for a heavier recoil.
Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Anyone ever use Phillybond or Duralloy? I work in the ship repair industry and we use it on ball valve bodies and other applications when we need to build up an area. I have a bunch of it and was just wondering...

Back