Savage model 24 O/U .223 & 12 gauge

fireguyty

A guy has one in the paper for $400. I can't find out that much from Savage's sight. So I got a few questions.
Fair price?
How is accuracy? 1-12 twist I assume?
Scope mount?

Thanks!

Seemed to recall hearing that firing the 12 ga with a scope could get VERY interesting if you weren't careful..or maybe keeping the scope mounted was a problem.

I owned a .22 Mag/20 ga..terrorized a lot of OH fox squirrels.. open sights only, gave it to my son who still has..was my first but not last Savage.

Good luck if you decide to buy.

I see no reason to assume that a 12ga has any more recoil than the biggest of big bore hunting rifles so the the scope should not be an issue as long as it's descent one scope with a good solid mount.

everyone is different, I have had three friends that have own them 12/233 and 2 of the 3 shot them well. the rifle itself shot MOA

He like me just didn't have all the nuts tightened down and struggled to hit anything that wasn't paper and at least 3" in diameter

Quote:
He like me just didn't have all the nuts tightened down and struggled to hit anything that wasn't paper and at least 3" in diameter

I don't understand what you are saying here. Your scope wasn't tight?

The Savage 223/12 ga can not be readily be adjusted for the point of impact to agree between the two barrels using the same aimpoint at 50 yards. You need to jam something between the barrels to make them shoot the same at 50 yards. So if you put a scope on it, get one for a shotgun or muzzleloader with an eye relief of about 5 inches. Since the point of impact doesn't usually agree you might also consider an ironsighter see through scope mount. Use the scope for the 223 and the iron sights for the 12 ga. $400.00 looks like a decent price if it's in good condition. I recently found a Russian Baikal in 223/12 ga that can be adjusted so sold my Savage 24. Got about $750.00 for it on gun broker. I have three rile shotgun combinations. I really like the Russian Baikal 30-06/12 ga. It's a tack drier at 100 yards and both barrels right on at 50 yards. The rifle shotgun combinations are great guns.

Good luck
OB

The Savage also usually has trouble keeping the scope zero. The concept just don't work out as well in practice as they might seem to be on paper.

buy good mounts and decent glass, put a good choke tube in them and they are fine, lil bit heavy, kick a good deal, but they work great, sometimes ya gotta wedge a nickel or dime between the barrels to make both hit same POI, but thats not a big deal. for 400 bucks its worth it.
RR

I like mine. I use the scope for the .223 and the see through mounts for the shotgun barrel. Never had an issue with scope zero or mounts coming loose. I like it better then packing two guns.

I had a Savage 24F (.223 over 12ga) and hated it. The trigger pull was terrible, the selector switch on the hammer was difficult to operate with gloved hands but the point of impact was my real concern. While using the shotgun barrel I had to aim a good foot and a half high through my scope, try that with a running critter.

I have one. It shoots well, but the barrels are not designed to be regulated to shoot to the same point of aim. Of course it is heavy and awkward compared to most guns.

The B-Square scope mounts that were supplied with them are commonly reported to fail to hold zero because they have slots rather than holes to screw to the gun. I use a Weaver mount and it stays put. I use see-through rings and zeroed the scope (Weaver K2.5x) to the rifle barrel so I can use the front sight for the shotgun. This means the scope is mounted higher than is ideal, but I am content with the compromise.

It's not all that one would wish for, but whenever that common topic comes up, "If you could take only one gun with you to survive with...?" I would take these two.

Back