CZ 527 Varmint vs Savage Predator.

pyscodog

I recently purchased a NIB 527 Varmint/223 with the laminate stock. I already had the Sav. The Savage shot good, but not what I was hoping for. Times being what they are for me, financially, I had sold my RR Pred., BIG mistake, to buy the Sav.Pred. Had a good week, so I purchased the CZ. Decided last week, one of these needs to find a home, so off to the range we went. I took 10 rds. of the Savages pet load and 10 rds. of 52 gr. Bergers for the CZ. Lozer leaves.
I hate to say it, it was not really a contest. The CZ, only having 20 rds. total thru it, totally smashed the Savage. One group from the CZ was a .412 and the other was a .542. Both were 5 shot groups at 100yds. I didn't even bother to measure the Sav. Guess I should have listen to IDBob along time ago. Thanks again IDBob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Pyscodog

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Good shooting!
I have a CZ 527 American in 223, and it shoots like yours. Have never warmed up to Savages, so no cmt on them. But, the CZ is sweeeet.

psycodog,
I see you got the laminate stock--I picked up a 527 with the Kevlar stock the other day at Gander Mtn. and didn't like the feel of the pronounced palm swell--does the laminate have the swell, also?

I have the ability to get a discount of CZ's through the Hunter Ed program they have, was thinking about this model in .204--but it doesn't look like they make it in the laminate model...

Regards,
Tim

Timb- Yes the laminate has the palm swells also. I wanted the B&C stock buut the store didn't have one in stock. I saw two at the gun show this week-end. Wished I could have swapped.
Ya know, I don't mean to take anything away from the Savage I sold cause it was a good shooting rifle. I just think the CZ was a bit better and doesn't seem to be as finicky about the choice of ammo.

I got the walnut varmint model and absolutely love it the gun is like a laser beam. That savage predator feels like a muzzle heavy toy. no balance, no feel. you should note that the kevlar stock one has 1:9 twist the others are 1:12. thanks to the late IDBOB I W will never ever get rid of this one.

I read that the Kevlar stock had the 1-9 tw. I checked mine(laminate) and it also has a 1-9. I'm going to check it again just to be sure and will let you know.
I took my CZ out Wed. morning, cool morning, almost no wind, shot a 5 shot group at 100yds that was a .229. 52 grain Bergers,26 grains of H-335, .005 off the lands. Extremely accurate!!! Just checked again to make sure, mine is 1-9/ laminate stock.

Last edited:
that 1-9 twist should work for some 60 grain vmax and that should be great to put the hurt on a song dog.

even with factory ammo my gun is way more accurate then me.

I had a CZ 204 Varmint and it was far more accurate than my Predator 223, not exactly apple to apples, but my money goes with a CZ anyday over the Savage.

Hey 17 cal, how ya been? Any luck on your 22 search? Please don't get me wrong, I like Savages too. Shot my F-class yesterday. Think I'm gonna like it!!!

I love my CZ Varminter. That thing is a tackdriver! If I get lazy & dont have any pills put together,it loves Black Hills 52 grainers.

We should really keep the CZ secret quiet. If you notice, the price goes up every year. Mine is really a neat gun to shoot and I don't think I'll paint this one. With the laminate stock and the flat black barrel, it almost looks camo. Mine has a few streaks of brown thru it, kinda cool!

With all of this praise about the CZ rifles, I just may have to see what all the hubub is about someday! I just hope my Savages will get along with it in the safe!

kunas-I check the twist when I first got it and thought it was 1/9. I went to CZ's web site and they said the laminate was 1/12. HUH? I read this post and someone said it was a 1/12. After reading cz's discription and the post here, I got my cleaning rod out and a patch and checked it again. 1/9. Beats me! It was purchased NIB from a cz dealer in Tulsa so I don't know whats up? Doesn't really matter, shoots excellent. Awesome trigger, top quality in a small package.

you have a unique piece that i would hold on to for sure bottom line its a shooter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Ron

Back