weimaraner pup

nomad20

okay some non hunting friends of mine recently got a male weimaraner pup, and a huge one at that. the vet says by lookin at him that he will make 90 pounds. problem is they have no clue how to obidience train him. i am going to try to help but i have heard that there is some things about there demeanor that makes training them differant but i have no idea what they are. can any of you guys help me out. they have two small kids so haveing a dog that size and breed with no training at all i think could prove hazardous for them. any advice would be great. thanks

I've had Weim's for about 35 years so far. They are one of the most loving family dogs you will find. My guess is that the most danger those children will be in is getting knocked down and stepped on so the dog can lick their faces. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They are pretty smart dogs and very hard headed.

Here he is playing with two Airedale pups.

DansAiredale08.jpg

thats what i was worried about, if he aint got any obidience training he would be like a 100 pound steam roller when he was in the house and around the kids. so i can train him the same way i trained my lab then, there aint any special things i need to do

I have three weims and they are great dogs. Like others have said they really need to be played with. This is not the type of dog that will be happy locked up all of the time. They will rip everything apart just so they can get out. They are very smart dogs but they also get set in theirs ways very fast and if it is something you don't like you need to break them of that. One of the dogs I have loves cats. I have several farm cats and one of them sleeps with him all of the time and he will take care of that cat. A big thing with dogs is to get them around everything. I mean everything. Take the dog everywhere with you. Get them used to everything and they will get along a lot better with others and you. I hope this helps. Don't let them get frustrated with him right away. It will take time but they are great dogs!! Matthew

I recommend early,diligent crate training.There inherent loyalty can lead to problems,including separation anxiety.

The Weimaraner's biggest plus is sensitivity to people.
They have have a little bit more of a bond with people than most dogs.The weim just seems more people-ish.

Lots of exercise and when your done with that more exercise.

there great dogs!
JMO

I was torn between a weimaraner and a GSP when I dove into the bird dog world. Everyone I talked to and every thing I read said that they were great people dogs poor city dogs and tend to be hard headed. The hard headedness turned me off so I went with the GSP. Since then I have been around many Weims and as long as the owners are willing to be consistent and exercise the pup they should have a great dog. The first year will be critical. If the pup doesn’t get to run there will be [beeep] to pay. I can normally take my dog to work with me but if I'm on a job where I can't it is extra critical to wear her out or she will reek some sort of [beeep] in the house eventually. For instance I wasn't feeling well yesterday so I didn't take her for a run and today due to the rain I was unable to bring her to work. when I got home I found out she had grabbed two 12 gage shells off my coffee table and chewed them up. Honestly I couldn't get mad it was my fault.

The Best Book I've ever read on training a dog is The Best Way To Train Your Gun Dog the Delamr Smith Method Written by Bill Tarrant. I'v have used some of the same methods with my Poodle that is strictly a house dog. Good Stuff it should be at your local Library.

Be consistant, repatition and more repatition.

Repetition is definitely the key. Be consistent, too. Don't let the dog get away with something you would normally correct. Any bird dog needs lots of exercise or they will find something to get into.

x2 with GSPKurt be firm be very firm. It might take a little more time and effort training them but you will reap the benefits down the road. They can be more demanding than an ex wife waiting on an allimony check, but I for one wouldn't be without at least one. Get him used to loud noises, give him something to chew on at all times(not cloth)Rawhides and leg bones work well for my dogs. Good luck!

From what i know they would make good family dogs if trained well. But it is pretty hard to find a breeder who uses them to hunt so they are pretty crappy for that.

Silly isn't the word. Aside from cold weather, Weimaraners are a very versatile hunting dog. A little bloodhound, a little GSP, a little secret recipe, webbed feet, and an incredible personality.

Basic obedience should be easy. Your local pet stores will likely offer classes taught by a pro for a minimal charge. If you check with pro trainers in your area, they may offer or recommend a trainer that conducts a two or three level course for basic obedience.

Weimaraners are intensely smart and loyal dogs. The memories that my Joshua gave me are so deep that I could never get another out of respect to him. I wish I knew then what I know now. In his final days we found out that his spleen was enlarged and ruptured, likely due to cancer. Through the diagnostic process we discovered that he had arthritis in his spine, and that likely lead to a lot of reactions that we mistook for behavioral issues.

He was one of the best dogs I have ever had. He even loved my wife's stupid cats, and was super with kids. He tolerated a lot of ear pulling.

They are great dogs,just give them some leadership!

Back