.17 Remington Powder

ruger243223

I have been shooting a .17 for yrs but am looking for a ball powder that will meter in my LNL. What is everyone shooting. I have loaded up some W748 but it is a dirty powder and I am looking for a cleaner burning powder for this caliber. Thanks HAPPY HUNTING

For the .20 grainers, I like Benchmark. It's clean, meters well, and is really accurate in my rifle.

For the .25 grainers, I use Varget. I don't do alot of volume shooting with this load, so I'm not sure how clean it is, but it definately meters crappily!

I've got some H-322 and some W760 which both meter well, but I've never loaded them up in the .17.

I had some VVN140 that worked very well but I am out. Varget meters crappy in my LNL. I had some 322 but am out. I do have some Benchmark I might have to give it a try. I really love to shoot the little bugger at PDs blows the snot out of them. The 20gr Bergers and Vmaxes are great and shoot extremely well. Was out on Tuesday and was shooting out to 400 with no problems. Makes a real mess. Rifle is a LVSF remington. Love it. HAPPY HUNTING

"I have loaded up some W748 but it is a dirty powder"
I have not found this to be true. Reduced loads, as in any powder tend to be dirty, but higher pressure loads of WW748 are as clean burning as any powders except the VV powders. After a couple hundred rounds on ground squirrels with WW748 powder my barrel is not dirty.

Jack

I have never found a better powder for my .17 Remingtons that Varget. Yes, it a bit of a pain to get down the funnel, but the way my guns shoot make up for it. 5 Vmax's touching at 100 yards. Dead prairie dogs at 400 yards. Meters good, no. Shoots great, yes. The amount of time it takes to charge 50 cases that meter well and 50 cases that you have to tap the funnel is about 2 or 3 minutes max. My reloads are worth it. Aint yours?

So does that mean you can corner the market on those Magnum small rifle primers that are still on the store shelves collecting dust by going to ball powder? it seemed to be the case with my .221Furball. I could use the the magnum primers with H110.

Been running '15 in mine with excellent results.

Just picked up 3lbs of 322 so I don't have 3 rifles dipping into the same powder supply.

Back