sand bag or 6-9 inch bipod for prairie dog hunting ?

coonman

guys.. i am going prairie dog hunting end of May. i had my welder build me a tall shooting bench that fits in to my truck hitch ( based off plans from a guy on this sight ). REALLY NICE... Question.... which would work better shooting a AR15 off of this set up a 6-9 inch harris swival bipod or a shooting sand bag ? my chair and table will swival. tahnks. coonman

Last edited:
I don't think that is a question that can be answered by anyone here. You just have to give it a test run and see what works best for you. If I had a dedicated swivel bench then I would use bags. If I was moving positions then I might go to a bipod setup. Is it legal to shoot from a vehicle where you will be hunting?

It seems to me that the movement from the truck, i.e. wind blowing against it and your own movement would make the sturdiness of a Bi-pod or sandbag meaningless. Does your bench have jacks where you can put your weight straight down to the ground, as opposed to the trucks tires and springs??

yep. we made shooting bench very soild with side jacks that screw down in ground. very nice set up. rest is being powder coated as we speak. sand bags might be the way to go because every thhing swivals. in north dakota we can hunt out of a truck for prarie dogs. coonman

Last edited:
I use both bags and bipod. Some rifles shoot well with bipods and some do not. I would suggest a 9-13 bipod [beeep] as they are a bit more versatile than the shorter ones.

Seal snipers shot pirates from a floating boat. Doubtful your truck bench will move more than a boat on the water.

Quote:
It seems to me that the movement from the truck, i.e. wind blowing against it and your own movement would make the sturdiness of a Bi-pod or sandbag meaningless. Does your bench have jacks where you can put your weight straight down to the ground, as opposed to the trucks tires and springs??

+1, exactly what came to mind the instant that I read it.Really stiff truck springs would be a big help. Wind blows the truck more than you would think.

Quote:

+1, exactly what came to mind the instant that I read it.Really stiff truck springs would be a big help. Wind blows the truck more than you would think.

If you go with the AR-15, then you may need the 20 round magazine due to length of the magazines that would hit the ground on the 30 rounders.

I have that same set up and I use a short 6" bipod off mine. I have a sand bag for the buttstock also although I dont use it that often. Yes a 20 round mag is also the best with the AR as stated above. A brass catcher is a needed item so you dont have to hunt for brass on the ground. Wind has never bothered my shooting from the front or rear reciver mount.

Quote:
I use both bags and bipod. Some rifles shoot well with bipods and some do not. I would suggest a 9-13 bipod [beeep] as they are a bit more versatile than the shorter ones.

Seal snipers shot pirates from a floating boat. Doubtful your truck bench will move more than a boat on the water.

Ok 2706, don't take this to personal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I was smiling when I read your post, but I just can't help myself after having served over thirty years in the United States Navy. Those SEALS(always caps) were shooting from a SHIP, not a boat . Any Vessel in the Navy over 100feet long is a Commissioned United States Ship, that's what the USS stands for, trust me, the USS Bainbridge would hang it's bow in shame knowing somebody out there called her a boat. She is a "Man of War", unisexed. They were shooting at a boat, very accurately, I might add. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Back when I was a young squid, I remember an old Chief Petty Officer tearing me a new one for saying something about our boat. So I smiled when I read your post.

Much Pun intended skb2706 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5spd... thanks for the plans on the truck hitch shooting table you sent me. my rest is being powder coated as we speak. sounds like i will be using the bipod 1st on my rest. coonman

I have a few rests I've used in a SD dogtown. With the AR you have to have a rest that keeps the magazine & grip off the table. The 'Shooters Ridge' rotating with elevation adjustment works fine with bolt rifles but just barely works with the AR. With this rest you may have to add some padding to get the supports high enough.

My current AR setup is a Cadwell front 'Rock', it may be the 'JR' size(about $35-40). With this I have a Cadwell rear V notched rifle rest. It is the perfect height to keep the grip & mag off the bench. It works much better than having a loose buttstock to keep steady. The front has the screw adjust to move the elevation for shooting.

Quote:
Quote:

Ok 2706, don't take this to personal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I was smiling when I read your post, but I just can't help myself after having served over thirty years in the United States Navy. Those SEALS(always caps) were shooting from a SHIP, not a boat . Any Vessel in the Navy over 100feet long is a Commissioned United States Ship, that's what the USS stands for, trust me, the USS Bainbridge would hang it's bow in shame knowing somebody out there called her a boat. She is a "Man of War", unisexed. They were shooting at a boat, very accurately, I might add. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Back when I was a young squid, I remember an old Chief Petty Officer tearing me a new one for saying something about our boat. So I smiled when I read your post.

Much Pun intended skb2706 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I stand corrected and be not mean any offense. My only point was that shooting in the wind from the back of a truck isn't really a big deal. Take this from someone who shoots pds pretty much whenever they want on the open prairie, in the wind in just about any situation you can think of.

My apologies to all SEALS (in caps) and anyone who was disrespected..........

Last edited:
No disrespect was taken, nor did I think any was intended. Just brought back memories(and a smile) of years gone by. Had to share the thoughts.

Kill em'

Back