How much is too much wind

ironworker

Been told that if its too windy might as well role over in bed and try another day? Is 10 MPH wind too much? What about if it starts to sprinkle or even rain? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I hate the wind, but 10 MPH isn't going to keep me home. In fact, 10 MPH isn't all that bad. Rain isn't bad either. Blowing rain is something else though.

out here in west texas
gusts over 40 keep us home
actually
constant direction 10 mph is GREAT
keeps you scent from swirling

guero

Here in Indiana I stay home if the wind is around 15 mph or more. Calling is difficult enough around my area with out the wind factoring in. Ill just wait and call my stands in more favorable conditions.

I'm with guero, constant wind up to about 15-20 mph and I'll stick it out. Much over that, or heavy gusts, and I knock off.

10 mph wind would be a blessing down here. Our range wind flag was an anvil hanging from a loggin' chain, but a gust blew the anvil off last week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regards,
hm

I like a steady wind not over 10. Masks my noisy approach and lets me predict where my scent is going. I have even used it by putting the caller Up wind then moved my stand to a good Cross wind shot. This has worked for me a number of times.

I live in north central Oklahoma on a calm day the wind is 10-15mph.Ive killed a manny on 25mph+ days and days that are really gusting like up into the 35-40 I hunt draws and have killed them then.
Look at it this way your not gonna kill any sitting at home in front of the tube.

Too much wind can be a nuisance, but rain in my opinion will kill you. I've called 'em up through the wind with some regularity, but I can't recall a time when I called one up while it was raining. Before or after a rainstorm is awesome, but not during. The wind is okay as long as they can still hear you. LawDog

Ironworker it depends where your located . Im from Western Ky and I dont like 10mph or above , the coyotes stay bedded down during high winds here, but say South dakota,wyoming, anywhere out west 15-30 would be normal and coyotes that live there and are used to this enviroment would be normal. We dont have wide open prairies where the wind is howling at higher speeds.

We regularly hunt coyotes in 25mph+ winds out in Eastern Colorado. I can imagine the guys in Wyoming think I am a weenie for calling it quits above 35mph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
10 mph wind would be a blessing down here. Our range wind flag was an anvil hanging from a loggin' chain, but a gust blew the anvil off last week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regards,
hm

Hey you owe me $8 hundred and 47 bucks. Your darn ANVIL got caught up in one of our Saskatchewan breezes which are a lot faster than your winds and came in my picture window and went threw my flat screen TV. Please pm me and I will tell you my address so you can send me a check..
Thanks for you prompt attention and cash Jim P.S. send an extra $200 for postage and I will mail you back your anvil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It all depends, if your start out @ 20mph and call one in, your gonna keep at it. Think about it.....how many times have you stayed out all day when its "nice" out and didn't call a dang thing in?..........I try to get out every time I can, regardless of the wind and if I get "skunked" I just blame it on the wind!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Regards,
hm

Hey you owe me $8 hundred and 47 bucks. Your darn ANVIL got caught up in one of our Saskatchewan breezes which are a lot faster than your winds and came in my picture window and went threw my flat screen TV. Please pm me and I will tell you my address so you can send me a check..
Thanks for you prompt attention and cash Jim P.S. send an extra $200 for postage and I will mail you back your anvil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sorry, Jim. Not my anvil. The wind that took out our anvil was from the north! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,
hm

As was mentioned earlier, in SD we hunt anything under 30 mph. Actually we have decent success, just need to adjust your tactics appropriately.
Doc

Hey Canada, FLAT screen tv AND live in Saskatchewan. Get it? FLAT....SASK....Is that straight from Corner Gas? Oh, there's another one, STRAIGHT..wait, I'm on a roll here...

Went out on time, wind had to be 20+ MPH. Called one stand. Called in a dog. He got too close too fast, didnt have time to swtich from the 22-250 to the 12 guage, so I didnt get him.

Canada maybe we can figure out who the owner of that Anvil is with a question or two.
For example: Did it have a goat tied to it? If so it belongs to an Aggie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
If its the biggest Anvil you have ever seen then it is probrably from Texas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
If its small enough that a noodle-armed choirboy could move it then its probrably from California. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited:
Wind doesn't diminish a coyotes hearing. It diminish's sound, specifically as it travels crosswind.

If a person has ever been sitting on a hillside below a berm or terrace on the leeward side of that hill. Et had high winds blow over the top of you. A person can hear very good in all directions. Specifically up & down wind.

A coyote when it beds, will 99% of the time. Have the wind at it's backside. Very similar scenario, to the hunter scenario above. That sits below a berm or terrace, protected from direct wind interference or noise muting.

Last edited:
Back