.17 fireball loads

denjahn

Hi

I just got a Remington Model 7 in 17 Fireball and need to find some loads. Due to the shortage of powder I am wondering if anybody has any data on loading for this caliber using Varget for the powder,as I have some of that which I use for my 243 WSSM.

Eventually I will buy some 25g Berger Bullets but initially I will be using 20g Vmax bullets.

Now if Nikon would just get those Coyote Special scopes shipped off to the suppliers I would be in business.

Thanks

Good luck with Benchmark and 20gr. V-Max's in one of my 17FB's. Now am having interesting results with H322 and 25gr. Kindlers in the other. See my post "I'm Happy".

25 V-Max and H322
25 Kindler and H322
20 V-max and Benchmark, havnt tried them with H322 yet, but bet it would work well.

I have also had better groups with Remmy 7 1/2 primers vs. the CCI's I have.

I have also been thinking about the 21 or the 23 gr Kindlers. Mines a PD rifle not a calling rifle so theres a bit of difference.

Hey

Thanks for the info. I have looked at using other powders like Benchmark and h322 but as you know until the supply catches up with the current demand those powders are as rare as hens teeth.

So right now at this point my only choice in a powder until that supply/demand curve changes is to use Varget.

Have any of you used that particular powder? I cannot find any load data for Varget and .17 Fireball anywhere.

Thanks.

Guys I talked with Hornady about a week ago and they faxed me this. I will make a new post on this also so others can get it.

DSC01178.jpg

DSC01180.jpg

Thanks for the input. I was pretty sure I had seen on one of the boards where Varget was being used but with no recipes. Maybe that was for a standard .17 rem.

Anyway I found somebody online who had IMR 4198 so I ordered 2 pounds along with dies, some 25g bergers, the scope bases I needed and the shell holder so hopefully soon I can start to tinker.

Back