"Swine" flu

greg223

I wonder how many folks died in car wrecks or heart attacks or cancer or choked to death or drowned or; ..........in the same period 20 people in this country died of the flu?

Don't see any "emergency" measures for the other more important things. Maybe this is just another "create-a-crisis" so that more controls are placed on the commoner? I wonder.

It was brought into the U.S. by illegals. One more reason to close the border, but we'll dump millions into a vaccine that doesn't work instead.

First of all, saying that the swine flu was "brought to the U.S. by illegals" is probably one of the biggest loads of you know what i've ever heard. One of the Americans kids who is infected with it just returned from spring break in Mexico. Seems to me like he brought it over from there. There is no telling who else brought it to the U.S.

Second off, about the talk about how many people die from other things and how only 20 people have died in this country. I would suggest that you check out the 1918 influenza Pandemic which killed an estimated 50 million people. Compare that to some of the death tolls from the Black Plague and The world wars and then see if you care how many people have died in car wrecks or from cancer in the past few days. Here is a link to get you started. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol12no01/05-0979.htm

sboone,

It isn't only sping breakers & tourists that bring it back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

If the pig flu is reaching deadly pandemic proportions over there, then assuredly there are illegals that don't proceed through ANY type of visual or customs screening before they enter our country ILLEGALLY, then they ARE bringing it to our door.

I'll give you this, though....It isn't totally their fault.
The Obama administration ought to be taking severe measures to CLOSE the border & all dealings with Mexico & quarantine those caught crossing over. (none of which is happening)

If you feel like 20 lives lost is a small number, then imagine 20 of YOUR family members being the ones that have lost their life to this.

Would THAT make more of an impact on you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Just my personal thoughts on this.

Barry

Lemme see- Several million filthy criminal invaders vs. a few thousand spring breakers. DO THE MATH. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Quote:
sboone,

It isn't only sping breakers & tourists that bring it back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

If the pig flu is reaching deadly pandemic proportions over there, then assuredly there are illegals that don't proceed through ANY type of visual or customs screening before they enter our country ILLEGALLY, then they ARE bringing it to our door.

Barry

Influenza is a virus. A very contagious virus. The life expectancy outside a host is 10-14 days. You can shut down all illegal immigration by 100%, and we would not be safe from infection. Legal cross border traffic is enough to spread the virus. Throw in a 48 hour incubation to symptoms, and there is no border capable of stopping it.

By the way, as of now, the swine flu is reaching epidemic proportions. pandemic refers to cross border and continent. It sounds much more dramatic, and is a favorite of the media.

The life cycle of virus, its ability to mutate,the proximity of the world population today, along with the sheer numbers make the probabilty of an infectous epidemic/pandemic a growing reality. Reminds me of a quote from my domestic disease professor, " humans think they are at the top of the food chain.....tell that to the ebolla or influenza virus "

Maintain

P.S. Why is Napolitano (DHS) handling this instead of the HHS?

I think it's because obamas having a hard time finding enough democrats that have paid their taxes to fill the position.

Quote:

Who better to handle something related to swine? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cross J,

Pandemic actually means widespread....As in a huge area.

If it were contained in Mexico City it may be epidemic, but because it's spread into the U.S., Europe & other countries, it already is pandemic.
At least that's my understanding of the word.

I'm just glad I live where isolation for me & mine isn't a problem. Isolation in New Mexico is pretty easy to find. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If I'm not around anyone, I can't catch it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barry

Yes, that is the litteral translation. When referencing from a pathological stand point, a pandemic is an epidemic of greater magnitude. This is the classifications the CDC and the WHO use to describe the area of infection. The MSM uses pandemic because of the 'shock' factor. Epidemic is old, Pandemic drips drama.

Pandemic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A pandemic (from Greek παν pan all + δήμος demos people) is an epidemic of infectious disease that spreads through human populations across a large region ; for instance a continent , or even worldwide .

Maintain

The news reports I'm seeing say there have been no deaths in the US.

The Mexico numbers might not actually be that alarming because we really need to see the ratio of those infected vs those who died. A flu with

Quote:
If I'm not around anyone, I can't catch it.

I hope you're right Barry!

Problem as I see it, is that because Mexico hasn't determined when or even where this started and especially that they have no idea of the mechanism of transmission, anything could be moving this through the population.

So... isolation may not be enough! Think about that for a second. I also agree with the analogy of what if this was twenty members of my family, that really puts it in perspective. Last I read, the number was more like 150 confirmed deaths.

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
Here's the KoolAide I KNEW was coming from Obama! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090427/ap_on_he_me/med_swine_flu

"Obama: Swine Flu not reason for alarm."

Reckon he'd be "alarmed" if his family caught it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

He ain't worried about it because most of the people that live in the States that are the most worried about the Swine Flu did'nt vote for him.Thats what I figure anyways. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
yanno, it seems that panic is a bit premature. MX has 109 million people. There are about 1,300 reported cases of flu, with 100 or so dead.

Here, we have 20 or so confirmed cases reported at this time, in a population of 306 million.

The current Swine Flu situation, as it stands, is significantly more serious than annual influenza A & B cases and it dwarfs the seriousness of the previous Swine Flu incident. The fact that the death rate is statistically significant and growing among 25-45 year olds is not welcome news. Run-of-the-mill influenza A & B infections typically kill low numbers of elderly, the very young, or the immunocompromised. The strain circulating Mexico City is much more virulent. It is killing those of the age group most capable of warding off the disease at a significant rate. This is what is spooking the "experts" moreso than the body count. The cases in the U.S. demonstrate a less virulent strain, but that could certainly change as refugees flow across the border now and in the coming days. The US may indeed have the same strain, but our better healthcare (access to anti-virals) may be keeping things in check. We don't yet know because it is so early. I find it imperative that the US-Mexico border be sealed now. Do any of us believe residents of Mexico City are NOT fleeing the situation? How many of those fleeing are infected but not yet symptomatic? Make no mistake; this is a serious situation for the time being. It could fizzle or it could explode. It seems to be trending toward explosion. Pandemics occur in waves; often 3 waves. The initial phase thus far is not comforting.

Sorry,this is off topic just a little but all of this Swine flu talk is makin me paronoid.I feel like I have the Swine Flu and I dont even know what the symptoms are or how you actually get it.All I know is I ate ribs of the pork variety last night and the lady at Burger King touched my hand by accident when she handed me my food today so I think I could have it.Im being totally serious right now.

You cannot get Swine Flu by eating pork. It is a respiratory infection transmitted by LIVE pigs. Your BK ribs did not infect you.

Back