Anyone heard of J P Gemmer?

BLUE_CAN

I bumped into an interesting gun this weekend. It was not for sale but It is something like I've never seen before. It seemed at first to be a side by side shotgun. When broken open, one side was 10 ga. There was an insert in one barrel that the owner said shot 32 long. It looked like the "barrel" of that was roughly 3-4 inches. the insert was not easily removed, if at all, and there was an ingenious little stepped extractor to pull out the rimmed 32 long cartridge. I saw no numbers on the gun, the only words were along the rib between the barrels. the words were in gold and it said "J P Gemmer, St Louis MO, Fine Damascus Steel" this seems to be an antique custom. The wood was good looking and full figured. The barrels and action were fully engraved. There were three different scenes engraved on the sides of the action and the bottom of the trigger guard. The full length of the barrels had a swirl pattern engraved the entire length. I know this would cost a fortune today. Does anyone know anything about this type gun or the maker? Estimates on value?

Thanks in advance,

Nobody here know anything about any of this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I'll pop it back to the top to give it another chance.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the pointers. I tried Google originally but didn't come up with much other than the Hawken conversions which this gun is definately not. I would like to look at that old catalog and see what is in there. Yes, it is a very old gun. It has been in his family as long as he can remember and he is almost 80. It has been setting in a display case next to an octagon barrel Winchester 1894 in 32-40 that has a serial number in the 1700's for the last 40 years at least. That one was most certainly made prior to the year 1900. Both guns are still in decent shape considering they were well used at some point in time. Thanks again for the info. I would love to hear it if anyone has anything additional to share.

Mr Gemmer had a huge influence on many firearms during his years as gun maker.Do a "google search" and should find plenty of info the man.I have seen several rifles that were made by the original Sharps Rifle Co. that bear his name.There has been some remakes of his style of gun building.
Currently there is a Shilo Sharps that is a remake from their Farmington operation for sale on G.B. using the 1863 action.They are rare from what I have garnered from wanting to own one of his designs.Those who have built rifles of his style want a fortune for those guns.Good find.

Back