funnest guns to shoot.......

trashcan

Let's get something going about the funnest guns you have shot. I have burned through countless bricks of .22 with my trusty 10/22, shot long range with a Rem 700 BDL in 25-06, I have shot at 300 yd gongs with a .45 Springfield and a 45-70 buffalo gun, but, I have to say that this gun is the funnest gun I've shot in a long time.
It is a Colt 1917 model that shoots .45ACP with moon clips. It weighs over 2 lbs. and it makes you feel like you are holding a real PISTOL!! When you pick it up, you feel like Elliot Ness (or Al Capone), and to top it off, it shoots like a dream! Bowling pins shake when they see this guy come out to play! I shot it without moon clips but even with the straight .45 Blazer ammo it is a serious tack driver. Here are some pics:
colt-1.jpg

colt-3.jpg

YIKES!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
colt-4.jpg

colt-5.jpg

colt-2.jpg

Let's hear about your ,"Fun Guns". Pics are welcome. Also if you ever get a chance to grab one of these 1917's...DO IT!! This one isn't mine but I'm in the process of trying to get it in my collection.

Trashcan
Death Card Calls

AI AWM in .338 LM. That was a hoot! I can't afford one myself, but the guy that taught my PR1 class has one and he was kind enough to let me squeeze the trigger a time or two.

Chupa

I have an old 1911 model Swiss Rifle in 7.5x55 Swiss that was made in 1915 and it is a hoot to shoot! Its about like shouldering an old musket, man its long but its extremely accurate.

I have a couple Swiss K-31's also, fantastic shooting rifles.

Both models have a straight pull bolt, very unique rifles.

A friend of mine used to break out one of his three 50 BMGs every once in a while and we used to take it down in the river bottoms and shoot at car hoods 1.25 miles away that were propped up against the river levees....

I've shot a lot of full autos, but that 50 is something that really brings a big grin...especially after you realize there is hardly any recoil that was initially anticipated..

Right behind that would be a HK MP5 auto with full suppression...

Quote:
what the heck is a moon clip?

This is a moon clip my friend..
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG900-36.html

Huntsman22, I'm kind of a throwback to the 70's,I work hard and believe in America
even though our current Prez is a jabrone. The only difference is that I don't believe peace will ever be achieved and that muscle cars won't ever be as cool as the were in 1969. Keep on truckin' my friend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Trashcan
DCC

Ditto on the moon-clip...and the watch band. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
By the by--M1-A, reflex, mil-dot or iron sights allee same same. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thompson followed by an MP5. Both are owned by the club owner and his brother. Those were a blast and I still smile when talking about it 5 years later.
Mark

I received this double barrel Belgian 12 ga. percussion shotgun jointly from my boss and a gunsmith who was a great friend and mentor to me as a graduation (from highschool)gift.

The gun was 105 yrs old, best we could determine from markings/proof marks and had one broken hammer, ants nests in both barrels and badly corroded nipples. The wood was sound and all springs/locks, etc. fine other than the cracked hammer. Of course the ramrod was missing, too.

My gunsmith friend's part of the gift was to guide me through the restoration of the old scattergun. He welded the hammer and we removed both breech plugs and found some heavy pitting in the breech area of the barrels due to moisture held in the ants' nests. The nipple threads were very close to 5/16" SAE so we chased the threads and turned new nipples from 5/16" bolts. I put a hand rubbed oil finish on the stock and began to anticipate shooting the old girl.

We proofed each barrel, using a full 12 ga. shotshell of 2fg powder, a Kleenex over powder wad tamped until the rod bounced out of the barrel and a double charge of shot. Tied the gun down to an old tire and pulled first trigger w/long string while hiding behind the shooting house.

I'll never forget anxiously peeking around the corner to see if it held together and all I could see was a cloud of smoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. When the smoke cleared I discovered the gun and tire had flipped over and was pointing uprange but all was intact /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Repeated the test on the 2nd barrel with same results /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

That was in 1954 and paved the way for many enjoyable dove and whitewing hunts with one of my favorite guns to shoot as well as many fond memories of old friends who are dearly missed.

Nothing like old guns and old friends!

IMG_1413.jpg

Regards,
hm

Quote:

Huntsman22, I'm kind of a throwback to the 70's,I work hard and believe in America
even though our current Prez is a jabrone. The only difference is that I don't believe peace will ever be achieved and that muscle cars won't ever be as cool as the were in 1969. Keep on truckin' my friend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Trashcan
DCC

We's on the same page.........

mk-19 belt fed auto grenade launcher you can watch the rounds go down range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Back