First 17 Ackley Hornet Pig of 09

Pruson

He had climbed up on a root ball back inside the tree line at 156 yards(lasered). The little 17 Ackley Hornet threaded the 25 gr Berger right through the briars and brambles and into his heart. He scrunched up at the report and slowly fell over and slid down off the root ball as I watched thru the Leupold.

Browning Micro Hunter A Bolt worked by Bob Green of York Pa. Lilja 1 in 9 twist barrel. Scope is a VX3 3.5x10x50 German #4 Dot. I love that little rifle. It will run a 20 gr V-Max right up close to 4000fps while using half the powder of some of it's big brothers.

AckleyPig09.jpg

That's a beauty and I'm not talkin' about the pig! 17AH one of my favorite calibers!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Cool!

One day you'll have to post the ballistics of that little rifle...It sounds like a real hummer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barry

Without too much coaxing, I can get a 20gr. V-Max on the road at 3500fps. Not too shabby for a little guy.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Earlier this week I was running some loads through the Chrony at 3850 up to about 3900. Talk about pinpoint precision, just under a quarter inch group. The next five were all just over 4000fps and the group opened up to over half inch.

I ran the stats/data through the Ballistic Calculator and the printed out results held true on the range as well.

The 20 grain .172 diameter bullet with a Ballistics Coefficiency of .185 at a muzzle velocity of 3850fps when zero'd at 200 yds, is pretty darn flat, with 333 ft lbs of energy still at 200yds and 658ft lbs at the muzzle. It is also dead zero at 50 yards, 9/10ths of inch high at 100 yards and again at 150 yards. At 250 yards it is -2 inches and at 300 it's -5.6. But, I have personally seen groundhogs die from this cartridge at an even 300 yds.

The versatility of this little cartridge comes in the fact that you can also back down a 25 grain Berger to about 2600fps for foxes at called ranges. At 2600 or 3850fps, it is still very accurate and an absolute blast to shoot. That groundhog died from a winter time fox load of a 25 grain Berger at 3100fps.

Barry, that's as close as I can come to any ballistics information.

That's Great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

It does show an amazing amount of versatility!

I suppose you guys fire form the brass?
It looks very effeceint to reload for as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Barry

Unbelievable, I know I am opening myself up to ridicule and doubt, but here are the holes in the target from the range the other day. Keep in mind those are .172 holes, not big ole 22 caliber holes. Those holes that look like three in the center are actually a five shot group. The other ones open up considerably when 4000fps was exceed. Plus primers didn't look so good either.

AckleyHornet4000fps.jpg

Quote:

I suppose you guys fire form the brass?
It looks very effeceint to reload for as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Barry

First a form die, then a trim die, then a full length die and then fireforming. It is more work than I had realized. Yes, it is very efficient, when 12.2 grains of N-120 is HOT!in some guns it's to HOT. A load of 11.2 grains of H-4198 is 3100-3200 fps with a 25 gr bullet.

Right at 600 rounds from a pound of powder. With the cost of reloading supplies these days that enough reason to go get one Barry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Reload and shoot a 19 Calhoon (19H) too. So to make the 17AH forming easier, I neck down to 19 caliber first, then to 17. One more step but much easier and more brass friendly.

17AH1.jpg

Here's a new little Cooper M38, VE in 17AH. I do have a scope on it now but still haven't had it out to the range. Need a break in the weekend bad weather. This one joins a couple other 17AH's here.

I guess I like the 17AH.....you think?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

claimbuster, that is a beauty. A friend of mine has three 17 AH's, all Coopers. One is an older model Classic 20" barrel, the other is the newer model Classic 22" barrel with nicer wood, this one was a gift from Cooper, and the third is the VE like yours. He's a Cooper-a-holic. I am still trying to talk him out of the older Model Classic, ain't happening though.

That's an interesting concept of the 19 then to the 17, might be justification for another rifle. LOL

Must admit I'm up to three Cooper 17 AH's myself. I just love the round. Here is a photo of my first one.

17_AH_SUN_17-2.jpg

She's a SUN/Cooper. Jerry Russell @ Sundog has a special deal with Cooper to get custom stocks made up by Leroy Barry. In addition to being a looker, she can shoot. Can't beat a pretty girl that can perform.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Any one have experience with this cartridge in a Ruger rotary magazine? That is to say a Ruger 77/22 Hornet rebarreled?

There are some guys on another forum that focus's on small calibers that have made the Ruger conversion with much success. Supposedly it has the best magazine for the change. Some non shooter actions, became great shooters after the switch.

Actually I haven't met anyone who converted any model Hornet to the 17 Ackley Hornet that didn't really love the conversion.

It will wreek havoc on these guys also. It has more reach than alot of calibers that folks use to take foxes with, without damaging them. One of these was taken in close as he did a fly by through the setup, the other was out there a ways, bout 125 yds, same stand though.

A night hunter special, low report, doesn't attract alot of attention in more populated areas. Some of you guys don't have to contend with that issue.

Ackleydouble.jpg

I hunt with a buddy that uses the .17 AH... on our first trip out he got a shot at a Coyote at about 75 yds or so, and it dropped in its tracks.. I think that the little .17 can hold its own while hunting.. Good job !

Back