need a new 9 /32 mandrel

Hey Rick,

There really isn't such a thing as a tough 9/32" mandrel! They will all bend or whip due to their size. I've got several custom made stub mandrels with a 10degree taper to 9/32" shaft that work great. They also have a #2MT so they are as short,stiff and as accurate as possible. These were custom CNC'd for me by a friend and would have cost several hundred $$$ to have made!

Hut sells a 7mm mandrel that has an aligning section on the thread end. It is higher precision than a standard shaft. The adjustable mandrels are probably the best because you can shorten them so they are less prone to whip or bend.

If you have any old printers laying around, check the running gear in them for 7mm or even 1/2" shafts. They are highly polished and made from high strength stainless. You will have to mount them in a collet or chuck but they work great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

i have several pen mandrel's. would like to get a wade carpenter mandrel. i'm sure there expensive.i'll check out my other stuff.Rick

Rick, I have a few from Wade. I had him make a 5/8 x 9/32 mandrel for me. The 5/8 end slides into my Beal chuck and he threaded the 9/32 rod into that 5/8 part. The end of the 9/32 rod is threaded to use just like a pen mandrel. If the 9/32 rod gets bent it can be unscrewd and replaced.
But, it pretty darn tuff I must say.Ill post pics if youd like?
Mark.
edit: here they are..

Most of my call barrels are 5/8 id. Also has a pin lock that comes in handy sometimes.

Like Niko said below, I also sometimes just use a piece of 5/8 drill rod from Mcmaster Carr,chuck it into the Beal chuck and slide my barrel up onto that then bring up my tailstock and stick it the 9/32 hole to support the call for turning.
This mandrel was about 80 bucks, but for me WELL worth it.

3470215602_cfa996e7e8.jpg

3470202752_1b252ff6f8.jpg

3469383853_971f111795.jpg

Last edited:
Rick,

I have a set of Wade's mandrels in 1/2" and 5/8" with the "O"rings and one shaft with the threaded locking nut. They are OK but for what they cost a quality collet and short piece of steel drill rod works much better. The collet Wade uses has a set screw that seems to push the shaft off center unless it is a precise fit.
I don't care for the "O"rings much either... they tend to let the work piece wobble. If you cut too hard and spin the call the "O"rings disintegrate!

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Rick, get in touch with Chad (builderone) here on PM. He makes some really good and affordable mandrels in all sizes.

Stan,

i have several 5/8 and 1/2 in pin mandrel's and some 7mm pen mandrel's. i think the 9/32 pin mandrel i got from builderone. my blank's have been going on tight. i use the beal chuck to lonewolf i like it alot. have oring mandrel's to tom dont like them. i'll get another from builderone. now that i remember who i got it from. it is bending from me. Rick

On some of the mandrels I have the blanks go on tight.And it's very frustrating. I have a cheap 9/32 reamer(like 12 bucks) that I just run in by hand after I drill to get the hole to actual 9/32. Then it slips on real nice.I do like it a bit snug though, so the blank does not have a lot of runout while spinning.

If a blank is to loose, I just throw on some wooden spacers and tighten up the nut(which I did not show in the pic)and compress the spacers against the call blank. This can tighten it up however tight you want it.
Mark.

Last edited:
i have the two tapered reamer's 5/8's they wont but i have a brand new 1/2 straight reamer. i'll get a 9/32 and a 5/8's. i'll run a 9/32 drill bit in and out for now. just spent my pay pal money on diamond wood. thank's lone wolf. Rick

Quote:
just spent my pay pal money on diamond wood.

Just ordered a whole box of DYMALUX myself! Looking forward to trying it out. I have a new call I'm working on and I think this is what I need to make it all work!

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

For those that have a short pin mandrel you can make it into a mandrel like Lone Howl has. Drill and tap the end for a bolt that is the size you want. That way you can replace the bolt every time you bend it, not a case of if you bend it, more of a case of when you bend it. Takes all of about 30 minutes. The bolt part of the mandrel is really not critical your call body is all supported by the main 5/8" part of the mandrel.

Tom that's what i got to. getting alot of specialty wood's to be able to compete. having some cool thing's to sell. just bought a bunch of wood for laminating. Dogcatcher thank's havnt been out in shop yet to check all the mandrel's. busy with antler right now. Rick

Hello Guys
I just noticed this thread. With the smaller mandrels you do need to be gentle when turning them. Rick if you want just toss your bent one in the mail I will take a look at it and change the design some and send you a new one. I will put my info up in The Work Shop. If anyone else has ?'s just send me a PM.I will be caught up in the next couple days with orders so if you want a mandrel just let me know I can get it built to order. I am gone alot in the summer, so give me a few days to respond. If you would rather call me you can do that too. If you order something by phone be sure to send me a PM with what you ordered so I remember LOL. My cell # is 315-323-0564.
Thanks
Chad

i'll keep the one isnt your fault would like to buy another. getting straight Reamer's today. that will help the problem. love the mandrel's. i've been going a 100 mile's an hour. look for your name to buy another. but didnt look hard. i would like to buy one or two of the 9/32. Rick

9/32 mandrel.
calls001-88.jpg

other mandrel's.
calls002-61.jpg

Back