load with H380???

skinin_bonz

i been loading with 4064 but the guys out(go figure)
so he talked me into h 380 for my 22 250.
i got 55 g nbt. anyone got a load for me that they like?

H380 was named because the original testing in the 22-250, I believe by Bruce Hodgdon, found a load of 38.0 grains under a 55 grain bullet to be an excellent choice and for quite some time was maximum in a couple of reloading manuals.

Clayman

wow. you mean a store owner sold me the good stuff???
awesome.
think ill pick up some more soon.
this guys got a wide varity of powder in stock.
so if yer lookin...pm me maybe i can help
lotta bullets too but no primers

I've also found it to be great in the 22-250, but I've also had terrific results with it in the .220 Swift and 7MM-08.

I just love H-380.

Not only did he sell you some good stuff. After you run H380 thru your powder measure you'll probably never run IMR4064 thru it again. H 380 measures excellent, IMR4064 does not.

works great but you may have to bump up the load in the winter a little and knock it back in the extreme temps of the summer if you're pushing max load now. From what I've seen it's temp sensitive.

bownut if i hold off alittle from max would it work year round??

skb that was what the sales guy told me. i haven't tried it yet. but thanks for the info

Last edited:
Quote:
bownut if i hold off alittle from max would it work year round??

skb that was what the sales guy told me. i haven't tried it yet. but thanks for the info

As someone before mentioned, in some older manuals 38 grains was max. I have one of the old manuals, and that was the first caliber I loaded. Since I was new, I started low, about 34 grains. My load was 35.5 gr and a 55 Vmax and it is incredibly accurate. It wasn't until I got a chrony and realized I was only pushing it about 3250 fps...like a 223. I was no where near where it "should" be.

I shot that load for a few years and really noticed temp swings. Not necessarily any loss in accuracy, but my POI shifted quite a bit, 3" lower at 100 yards in winter than in the summer. Again, the chrony showed the velocity change due to its temp sensitivity. I have since switched to Varget and don't have that issue, and get much better speed, consistently.

Newer books show max about 41 gr. If your load you find is up near max NOW, you should be okay. Just don't push the envelope now and expect to be safe in 95* temps. As I said in my original post, if you're near max now, you may need to back off a little in the heat.

bownut

same goes for all ball powders, meters like water but is temp sensative due to the fact that it contains nitroglycerine.
usualy ball powders run dirty till you get up to max pressures, then they burn pretty clean.
RR

37 OR 38 gr of H380 ,shoots a Sierra 55 gr. Boat Tail Hollow point #1390 about 5/8" @ 100yds.Remi Cases and CCI bench rest primers.Don't forget to Clean up the flash hole and uniform the primer pocket. this load shoots right at 3500 fps so it isn't to hard on barrels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

38gr with a 55gr bullet is the "classic" load for which the powdwer is named. It gives good velocity and great accuracy in just about all the .22-250s I've tried it in.
I've had great results lately with Varget, also.
It doesn't seem to be as temperature variable as H380 either.

Back