AZ US Border Patrol Stops Man, Who is in the Right? YOUR Call!

I'm not taking anything as an attack, just a civil discussion. You said I was self centered and over sensitive but I'll let that jab go as something that came across wrong in writing.

You said that the BP helped little, comparing it to the amount of effectiveness of the assault weapons ban, and I pointed out the fact that were it not for the BP you would have almost twice as many illegals in the U.S. At least by the stats. What reality would be who knows. How many more baseball players would steal home with no catcher?

Quote:
So you are saying it is accepted to escalate force until the desired result is achieved?

Yes, the minimum necessary force to effect an arrest is universally authorized to the best of my knowledge. At some point a decisions was made by DPS to arrest this guy and they did what was necessary and authorized by their SOP. Again this guys injuries were not at the discretion of the BP Agents, it was DPS that arrested him.

At what point do you think cops should just let criminals walk away? What offenders should just be allowed off the hook because they turned beligerent? Most if not all agencies have some form of a use of force process. Agents/officers are well trained on this before they are allowed in the field. Arm chair lawyers might only require speculation and opinion but each and every leo is required to go through actual training. Yes, hands on physical force is acceptable for a physically resistant subject. When he starts to physically pull away or fight the force gets escalated to match his. If you physically resist me I will physically restrain you.

Quote:
33 years of being upheld does not make your point. The work of our forfathers allowed for the challenge of these courts by the citizens of this country, to try to keep the balance of power tilted toward the individual.

In 33 years of challenges it still stands. Our forefathers system still says it's legal.

Quote:
Let me ask you Borderdog, what is your take on the 4A. Do you think it should not apply at these check stations inside our border? Should it be left up to BP agents to interpret the 4A on a case by case basis? What does the 4A mean to you?

This is where I think your argument falls apart. You can't completely call a comparison of the second to the fourth an apples to apples comparison. The second unconditionally gives us the right to bear arms and specifically bans an infringement upon it. The fourth does not protect you from searches. It specifically protects you from unreasonable searches. The legal system has put in protections like the "fruit of the poisonous tree" doctrine, to protect agains unreasonable search. In modern times search law is based on a "reasonable expectation of privacy." Would a person of ordinary sense and understanding have an expectation of privacy. Would a reasonable person feel safe smoking a joint in his house? Yes. In his car? Probably not, at least not as safe. Walking in to a police checkpoint? Even an idiot would know better than that. The fourth amendment applies everywhere, but the courts have ruled, and I firmly believe no one with any common sense, would have any reasonable expectation of privacy at border patrol checkpoint.

The law which is the basis for the checkpoints pre-dates the bill of rights. It was put in place by the 1st congress. I think they would have changed some things if they intended the fourth amendment to cover checkpoints. So if your real question is do I think the fourth amendment somehow bans checkpoints the answer is absolutely not.

If a police agency is looking for an escaped murderer and they set up checkpoints on all roads leading away from the prison and search all vehicles for the fugitives are they wrong?

Nate

Quote:
Again this guys injuries were not at the discretion of the BP Agents, it was DPS that arrested him.

At what point do you think cops should just let criminals walk away?

Nate

Two points of contention:
1. The pastor claims the BP agents jumped in while he was tazed and helpless. I'm willing to wait for video or testimony to accept that as a fact.
2. This guy didn't break any laws until after the agents allowed the situation to escalate. He is hardly a criminal.

In the first incident when the pastor had a camera rolling, he was allowed to proceed.
In the second incident, I'm assuming he didn't have a camera rolling, and a dog "alledgedly" alerted to his vehicle. Since there was absolutely no evidence of contraband found, I am inclined to believe that foul play may be involved. Was the dog alert legit? Or was it a manufactured effort to make the pastor comply?
I'm curious to see if any video of the latest event turns up.
In any event, the end result is the pastor has misdemeanor charges filed on him, and the LEO's have a lawsuit to contend with. Nobody is going to bed tonight feeling any safer because of this incident.

First off, this has been an excellent discussion. In all honesty, I would wager that we are both probably have more similarities than diasagreements on this topic. I do feel that there can be an equality drawn between the weight of the 2A and 4A. Both intended to provide for abuse of power from our government. To me it is the collection of all that makes our constitution what it is.
As far as the force issue, I understand the the concept of matching force. The point I was trying to make is force being threatened or used when none has been shown or no formal arrest made(refering to first video).
Anyway, great discussion. Its late, and I'm starting to sound more like an ACLU attorney than a devils advocate.

Maintain

P.S. Through out this thread, the pastor has been called everything from an 'idiot with an agenda' to a 'radical activist'. Isn't that what some on the Left and in the MSM said about the people who attended the recent Tea Parties?

The LEOs may not have acted as professionally as they could have. It seems the force used may have been more excessive than strictly needed, but then, I wasn't there to actually witness it.

I would bet that while they might have done better (from a Monday morning quarterback point of view), they were acting legally and at least technically within the EOF rules they are given. Granted, those EOF rules are designed to keep the LEOs safe against violent criminals, and this idiot probably doesn't rise to that level, but those are the rules. They have been tested and proven legal, and while from a public relations point of view their use may have been a mistake, they were no doubt at least technically justified (which is all that matters in court).

You (or I) may believe their actions were contrary to the BoR, but the Supreme Court has ruled differently, and according to the constitution, once they rule, like it or not, that's it...it IS constitutional.

I would very seriously doubt that the K9 alerting was a put up job by the LEOs. Too many witnesses and probably video evidence for them to consider it even if they were so inclined.

I have NO problem believing the idiot himself planted scent to cause the K9 to alert. I believe he has been (repeatedly) doing his level best to cause an incident he could turn into a "cause celeb" court case.

As I said, he wouldn't want me on the jury.

CrazyHorse, this guy is not the only guy in Arizona trying to stir up trouble at the checkpoints. He's not even the first to record it. There are several of these trolls going out of their way to stir the pot. No one is out to get these guys. If we know who they are we go out of our way to avoid a confrontation with them and still do our job. If one of these guys is identified from a prior incident all of the i's are dotted and the t's crossed when he is encountered again. In life if you know someone is going to cause you problems professionally do you make sure you don't give him any ammo to use against you or do you just blindly do everything you can to cause him and you problems?

As I said before your assertion that they somehow faked a K9 hit is assinine at best. Just like a coyote those dogs have very good noses. Can a coyote smell your trail where you walked in to a stand? Yes. Can he smell where you set up? Absolutely. The same goes for these dogs. They can also smell where drugs have been. The punishment for a K9 handler doing something like that would be devastating. Everything from losing the dog to prison. Given the environment that BP agents have been in since the Ramos and Compean trial everyone is real careful about how they conduct themselves. Why would anyone risk the punishment that would be inflicted just to harass some pastor from Tempe? It doesn't make any sense.

Given the attitude of many of the religious leaders in Arizona I'm not so sure this guy is the 4th amendment crusader you give him credit for being. It's just as likely that he is another pro-illegal activist that is doing what he can to disrupt BP operations.

Here is a perfect example of why everyone is interviewed at checkpoints. It wouldn't be hard to imagine how agents would be crucified if word was to get out that this guy passed through a point without being caught.
FBI's Most Wanted Terrorist

Nate

I am not asserting anything. I said it may be a possibility. As an owner/breeder/trainer of GSDs I am quite aware of their capabilities. Their natural abilities combined with their intelligence never ceases to amaze me. A dog can be trained to respond to commands so subtle, that most people will miss the cues.
You act like you've never heard of manufactured evidence. Sadly, it happens way too often. I'm not so naive, to rule that out as a possibility.
As for the pastor being a 4th amendment crusader, I don't approve of his ways. As I stated before, his message was lost in his manner.
If the dog actually alerted, and it wasn't cued to do so by it's handler, than there is a possibility of a "false alert" by this dog. A good lawyer will look at the training logs for this particular animal, and if there is a history of "false alerts", that evidence can be presented as argument for a 4th amendment violation.
What you don't seem to get is that nothing good will come from this for your agency or the immigration problem as a whole. All because of an incident that could have been handled better. You can defend the agents actions all you want, but you can't polish a turd.

I've spent a lot of time working with K9 handlers and K9's. The closest I've seen to a false alert was a guy who's "friends" were smoking dope in his motel room the night before. The dog alerted on his bag, he consented to a search, nothing was found and he went on his way. I don't believe that the dogs are infallible but I think more often than not false alerts are the result of a dogs nose being too good.

I know that manufactured evidence does happen but in spite of the claims coming from criminals I doubt it happens as often as you think. I don't think I'm naive, but I won't take the word of a convicted felon over the word of a sworn law enforcement officer. Innocent until proven guilty works both ways. I do agree that one time is too often. Let's be honest though, there are way more dirty criminals than there are dirty cops. If the agents in question violated no laws they aren't dirty.

"What you don't seem to get is that nothing good will come from this for your agency or the immigration problem as a whole."

Aside from getting criminals and drugs off the street what good comes from any arrest? If your talking about the BP's image our problem has more to do with the fact that illegal rights advocates are more outspoken than the majority of Americans that don't want them here. Publicity wise this will just be a blip on the radar. The only people that will make anything of it are illegal alien advocates and a few folks that see government agents waiting to pounce on them from every shadow. To those people law enforcement will always be the enemy anyway.

Nate

Last edited:
First. I patrol solo, so I don't mess around with dangerous people. I'll ask and explain once.

The subject raises his voice, points his finger, and acts aggressively, and is in control of a motor vehicle. The subject is combative, period. This jeopardizes my safety, period.

I'm busting his window and dragging him out of the car, securing him, and then searching his vehicle. I don't use words against words. If he uses words, then I use hands. If he uses hands, I use a stick. If he uses a stick, I use a gun.

I'm going to get what I want. He can take it up with the judge if he wants discussion.

You choose to fly on a plane, you can be searched. Case law supports it.

You choose to travel on known smuggling routes near the border, you may be subject to search. Case law supports it.

The ICE agents played around with this retard way too long.

25 years ago, I recall inspection points asking my parents if they had any fruits or veggies. They answered the questions.

THIS ISN'T NEW!

This isn't police abuse, it's total disrespect for law enforcement. When did it become okay to act like a jerk?

In the end the jerk got an attitude adjustment. Boo-hoo, I'm such a victim. BS, his goal was for a confrontation. Mission accomplished.

I've never, EVER, known any officer/deputy/agent who simply decided to harass a normal person. There's way too many people causing problems, to waste time generating problems for decent people.

Sheesh, he's a pastor. He probably had a couple little boys in the trunk... Yeah, let's be careful with the stereotypes.

EDIT: I'd have asked him if he wanted to be here, acting like this, when Jesus comes back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

EXCELLENT reply DaisyCutter!!!

His intentions were extremely obvious. It is never a good idea to attempt to make a point with a Law Enforcement official.

Very well stated! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
First. I patrol solo, so I don't mess around with dangerous people. I'll ask and explain once.

The subject raises his voice, points his finger, and acts aggressively, and is in control of a motor vehicle. The subject is combative, period. This jeopardizes my safety, period.

I'm busting his window and dragging him out of the car, securing him, and then searching his vehicle. I don't use words against words. If he uses words, then I use hands. If he uses hands, I use a stick. If he uses a stick, I use a gun.

I'm going to get what I want. He can take it up with the judge if he wants discussion.

You choose to fly on a plane, you can be searched. Case law supports it.

You choose to travel on known smuggling routes near the border, you may be subject to search. Case law supports it.

The ICE agents played around with this retard way too long.

25 years ago, I recall inspection points asking my parents if they had any fruits or veggies. They answered the questions.

THIS ISN'T NEW!

This isn't police abuse, it's total disrespect for law enforcement. When did it become okay to act like a jerk?

In the end the jerk got an attitude adjustment. Boo-hoo, I'm such a victim. BS, his goal was for a confrontation. Mission accomplished.

I've never, EVER, known any officer/deputy/agent who simply decided to harass a normal person. There's way too many people causing problems, to waste time generating problems for decent people.

Sheesh, he's a pastor. He probably had a couple little boys in the trunk... Yeah, let's be careful with the stereotypes.

EDIT: I'd have asked him if he wanted to be here, acting like this, when Jesus comes back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Exactly !! This guy was simply a martyr with a means...

I wonder if this pastor's congregation has seen these videos? I'd be mortified if I saw the leader of my church acting like this. This individual is a community leader, and this is the example he sets for others to follow?

I have a deep seeded resentment for "big brother". I pray daily that more people take their personal safety more seriously. I don't want to live in a society with cameras and soldiers on every street corner.

Instead of metal detectors and strip searches, I'd like to see armed responsible citizens.

However, outside of a hunting forum we live in a country full of people who are too lazy to cook to feed themselves, let alone be responsible for their safety. The majority wants to to be fed via drive-through and have the illusion of safety provided for them in the same fashion.

These people vote. The branches of government listen and put in measures to appease the majority.

So that's what we're stuck with.

Do I personally feel the checkpoints are unconstitutional? Heck yes.

Take this as a compliment. Within the context of a gun/hunting forum, many of us are a generation or two "behind"....

*We probably know how to change the oil in our car and understand what makes it go, or not.
*We've probably eaten something that we harvested our self.
*We're probably proactive about our safety.
*We enjoy our right to be free and left alone.

We're not the majority.

The majority wants to make their BASIC responsibilities someone else's problem. The Government is very willing to to take away freedom in exchange for the illusion of safety.

We aren't going to change it by making a scene at the airport, sports stadium, or roadway checkpoint.

Change it by talking to those who will listen.

Change it by instilling your values on your kids.

Instead of hiring someone to mow your grass, make your kid do it. Have your child help make dinner, help fix the car, help iron laundry, etc. Don't let them live off Nintendo and Taco Bell.

This pastor wasn't thinking right. He could've accomplished a lot more from behind his pulpit.

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
Rant? Dude, that's one of the most cogent assessments of modern American society I've ever read. You're a genius at observation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Wow, I bet writing that little diatribe had you pullin' up your britches and puffin out your chest. What a pompous,arrogant attitude, as well as being incorrect. Im not a lawyer,and of course neither are you, but I believe, at least from my study of this crap about what most would deem illegal searches,are, that they only apply to "permanent or fixed" check points, which the law says is the "same as" a port of entry.
If your out playing on your quad and stop me while Im out hunting, as is very common down here, and ask to search my truck, your SOL my friend, your going to need some appropiate paper work before you dig around in my vehicle. I know this, because Ive had them ask many times, "where you headed" to which I always respond, "thats none of your business". Only one time have I had them ask to open the back door so they can check to see that my sleeping bag was not a body. I of course said no, you can press your nose to the glass and look in, but you have no business in my vehicle.
They didn't break my glass and drag me out, they peered in the window like I allowed and I went on my way. I don't think it should be easy for them to have their way with the public. If they really want to look in my vehicle, their going to earn that peek by having adequate suspicion and probable cause, enough of which will convince a judge to issue a warrant, then Im ok with it, but Im not gonna be a "gimme" for them.
I don't necessarily advise everyone to be quite as contentious as the pastor, but I do advise my pards to not make it easy. There's a big difference between an agent just fishing, versus having solid probable cause. I think it's only right to hold them accountable to that concept.

Jefe,

You're points are well taken and make sense. That being said, the main question at hand is whether the Border Patrol Agents were harrassing the man, or if the man was being a jerk.

If, while on patrol, you pull someone over for a busted tail light, (the reason for the stop), or if you are running a D.U.I. check point, and the driver of the vehicle REFUSES to roll his window down and cooperate, THAT officer has reason to suspect that the individual in question is acting suspiciously. If the individual is "acting suspiciously, then the officer has "reasonable suspision" that this individual may have commited a crime, or has something to hide. The officer also has the right to order the individual to turn his vehicle off, and search his person for "officer's saftey".

If the individual refuses, then he will most likley be arrested for "Failure to obey an offcer's instructions", and then the Judge can decide if the "elements of proof" have been met sufficiently enough to proceed with prosecution.

I do not think that the above illustration would be looked upon as an "Unreasonable Search & Seizure".

DEFINITION:

suspicious;

Pronunciation [suh-spish-uhs] Show IPA
–adjective
1. tending to cause or excite suspicion; questionable: suspicious behavior.
2. inclined to suspect, esp. inclined to suspect evil; distrustful: a suspicious tyrant.
3. full of or feeling suspicion.
4. expressing or indicating suspicion: a suspicious glance.

Reasonable points Jeff, but each of your two scenarios involve specific reasons for an officer to be questioning a driver (tail light out,refusing to roll down window at DUI checkpoint), both responsibilities of the driver when using a motor vehicle on public roads and highways.
The recent adoption of setting up random BP checkpoints, just seems to arbitrary to my mind. If I go into Mexico, upon returning, I completely understand the necessity of a breif interrogation, Im coming from one country, into another. When passing thru rogue checkpoints, 20,40 to 50 miles from any international boundry, minding my own business, carrying on the day to day activities of a US citizen, I consider that obtrusive.
I consider it even more obtrusive, when they ask for information over and above what my citizenship is, such as where are you coming from, where are you going, what are you doing out here, thats just none of their dambusiness,and I always make sure and advise them of such. Mind you, 98% of them are ok fellas, but you always get that few, that attempt to stretch the scope of their authority.

Quote:
Reasonable points Jeff, but each of your two scenarios involve specific reasons for an officer to be questioning a driver (tail light out,refusing to roll down window at DUI checkpoint), both responsibilities of the driver when using a motor vehicle on public roads and highways.
The recent adoption of setting up random BP checkpoints, just seems to arbitrary to my mind. If I go into Mexico, upon returning, I completely understand the necessity of a breif interrogation, Im coming from one country, into another. When passing thru rogue checkpoints, 20,40 to 50 miles from any international boundry, minding my own business, carrying on the day to day activities of a US citizen, I consider that obtrusive.
I consider it even more obtrusive, when they ask for information over and above what my citizenship is, such as where are you coming from, where are you going, what are you doing out here, thats just none of their dambusiness,and I always make sure and advise them of such. Mind you, 98% of them are ok fellas, but you always get that few, that attempt to stretch the scope of their authority.

Once again, you're points are well taken Jefe. I live in Southern Arizona, and have had MANY experiences with Border Patrol check points, and have NEVER had a problem cooperating with them. They are all pretty nice guys.

What you say makes sense....on paper. By having them do what they do, if they can catch just 1 drug runner, or just 1 person here illegally on their way to the hospital, to obtain FREE health care, then, in my mind, it's worth it.

It seems that just about every other day, there is a story in the news about a vehicle that has turned over on the freeway, FULL of illegals, and EVERY ONE of them is being given emergency health care, and some are even medi-vaced to the nearest brain trauma center for emergency treatment. These services ARE NOT FREE! Who do you think pays for this...YOU and I DO!

Until the isse of our pourus border is addressed, and addressed successfully, I wil GLADLY suffer through EVERY Border Patrol Checkpoint they want to throw up and thank them for doing it.

I am a citizen of this Counrty, and I am SICK and TIRED of:

1. Drug Trafficking

2. Illegals receieving health care AT OUR EXPENSE

3. Illegals driving and having accidents WITH NO CAR INSURANCE.

4. Human smuggeling/kidnapping

5. Illegals conducting HOME INVASIONS

6. Illegals SUEING American Land Owners for being held at gunpoint until Law Enforcement personnel arrive.

7. Illegals drawing unemployment benefits

8. Illegals working in this country, sending their cash back home to bring more illegals over here, and NOT PAYING AN TAXES.

9. Illegals/criminals murdering innocents whom they believe are fellow drug traffickers and smugglers.

The list goes ON and ON. If the Border Patrol can stop and apprehend just ONE A DAY, I am MORE than happy to cooperate with them. I'm not saying that I am against immigration in any way shape or form, I am against those in this country, ILLEGALLY!

There is no arguement that the "Border Situation" needs to be fixed...desparately, but until this happens, I will gladly smile, open my vehicle, and copperate to the best of my ability! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Im with you on the illegal immigration Jeff, and everyone of them, at some point stuck one leg at a time thru the border fence. Thats why I get so aggravated each time I get 20 questions from a BP agent 50 miles from the international boundry, thinking why isn't that guy standing at a little shack on the border fence, 300 meters from another guy in a little shack, who is 300 meters from another guy in a little shack, from Brownsville to San Diego.
As far as Im concerned, they can have an electric fence, a moat, another fence with razor wire and land mines. Im no bleeding heart for the illegal immigration problem, but they only get here one way......over,thru or under the border fence, they don't use the transporter and fizzle off in space from Mexicali and reappear in Phoenix. Stop them cold at the border, not get warm fuzzy feelings of "suspicion" of me, 50 miles from the border.

Quote:
they don't use the transporter and fizzle off in space from Mexicali and reappear in Phoenix. Stop them cold at the border, not get warm fuzzy feelings of "suspicion" of me, 50 miles from the border.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I agree Jefe, we need to solve the problem and throw the band-aids away.

Transporter... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
thinking why isn't that guy standing at a little shack on the border fence, 300 meters from another guy in a little shack, who is 300 meters from another guy in a little shack, from Brownsville to San Diego.

GENIOUS!!!!!

I am going to send a letter to the President of Barackistan and recommend jefe Mojado as the next head of DHS. She has become an embarrassment even faster than I suspected she would. Maybe our beloved president should have asked around before appointing Governor Nappy. The best thing about her appointment is at least she's gone from here and will be jobless when he's forced to ask for her resignation.

I digress. I just got so excited when I read jefe's solution to the illegal immigration problem. Sure would solve a lot of problems.

As for the pastor...I adopted the attitude a long time ago that trouble is easy to find if you go looking for it. He found some. To some he's a martyr, to me he's an idiot. Stay within your rights and most times you have nothing to fear. Step outside of them and you may get you ears boxed. Antagonizing cops (of any kind) is just a bad idea.

Back